Thread: Plug it in & Play TV Games Question.

Insert Coin (Level 0) 8bitmusic's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Swerve Sauwce

Question Plug it in & Play TV Games Question.

While treasure hunting today, I bought two 'Plug it in & Play' mini-arcades for less than a buck each. Both of them are made by Namco, and feature classic arcade games that you plug into your TV, and control by using a joystick and/or buttons.

One of them has issues with the screen going fuzzy/glitchy on me, and on the other one--down doesn't work on the joystick.

Can any one advise me on how to fix these things? They're really cool, but I know nothing of electronics. Is this a simple cleaning we're talking about? Or do I need to give these to an electrician?

Last edited by 8bitmusic; 01-04-2011 at 03:32 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/caffeineadvocate for video game music.. amongst other things.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which stick has a broken DOWN direction? If it doesn't click, odds are the microswitch is broken. I had that same problem with the newest of the Namco Plug & Plays released where the UP direction failed because the microswitch had fallen apart on the inside(the spring inside the switch came loose). If the stick clicks, then there must be a loose wire either on the microswitch or the motherboard.

Fuzzy video might be due to a loose connection on the motherboard where the A/V cable is soldered or your A/V cable is damaged. I have the purple stick, and on that one, the A/V cable was damaged so I was getting oversaturated video, out-of-sync video, complete loss of video output and complete loss of audio output until I replaced the cable. First try to resolder the A/V cable, then if that fails, replace it entirely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Swerve Sauwce

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Which stick has a broken DOWN direction? If it doesn't click, odds are the microswitch is broken. I had that same problem with the newest of the Namco Plug & Plays released where the UP direction failed because the microswitch had fallen apart on the inside(the spring inside the switch came loose). If the stick clicks, then there must be a loose wire either on the microswitch or the motherboard.

Fuzzy video might be due to a loose connection on the motherboard where the A/V cable is soldered or your A/V cable is damaged. I have the purple stick, and on that one, the A/V cable was damaged so I was getting oversaturated video, out-of-sync video, complete loss of video output and complete loss of audio output until I replaced the cable. First try to resolder the A/V cable, then if that fails, replace it entirely.
    The blue, Ms. Pac Man featured game is the one with the not working DOWN direction. It does click, though. I guess that means the chip isn't broken, but how do you tighten a wire? Wire glue (good name for a metal band)?

The Fuzzy one isn't so much "fuzzy" as it is a slippery slope. Basically, it starts fine when I turn it on. Within seconds (not including the first time I tried it which took minutes), the game devolves steadily into a glitchy, unrecognizable mess that resembles an NES cart you need to blow on.

http://www.youtube.com/caffeineadvocate for video game music.. amongst other things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitmusic View Post
    The Fuzzy one isn't so much "fuzzy" as it is a slippery slope. Basically, it starts fine when I turn it on. Within seconds (not including the first time I tried it which took minutes), the game devolves steadily into a glitchy, unrecognizable mess that resembles an NES cart you need to blow on.
    Maybe this is obvious and you've already checked, but might the batteries be drained?
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The purple one isn't worth fixing, the game emulation is crazy bad.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Swerve Sauwce

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro View Post
    Maybe this is obvious and you've already checked, but might the batteries be drained?
    That thing has batteries? Huh.. Well, paint me ignorant.

I solved the problem. What I did was I found another copy of the purple one, sealed in the box for 6 bucks. But wait, I still can't play it... Next question, I suppose, is how do you magically take a game out of a box without opening the box. Does it have anything to do with osmosis--or perhaps fitting Sunny D in a lunchbox?
    Last edited by 8bitmusic; 01-04-2011 at 08:29 PM.