Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why does MAME suck so bad?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

MAME works fine. The only problem I've noticed when using the newest version was that it lists every game in the database rather than just the ones you have downloaded.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stalepie View Post
    Except that browsing there takes longer than five seconds.
    Not sure why that would be... even with the longest paths and fudgey typing fingers, copy/paste works just fine.. Got a long path? Paste it in there and you're in there in less than a second e.g. cd d:\direct1\yabadaba\doo\1\yasa\hoohoo\vavoom

But yeah anyway.. if you're uncomfortable with cmd lines, then yes it might just be time consuming for someone. But the truth is it really is a lot more efficient for many types of file operations.

But then again there's a lot of situations where a GUI does work better. If you don't do a lot of work with files then it's probably all moot anyway. But it's just knowing what options are there for you.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, it's a good emulator. It doesn't have as many problems as I originally said.

I think they should compact romsets into a single file (i.e., .arc for arcade, like .nes, .pce, .smc, etc.), if that's possible, so that you can associate the file type with the program and just double-click it to make it to run, and they should maybe provide compatibility lists for romsets so that it's easier for ROM sites to know which versions to host. It seems like there's some confusion here.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    Not sure why that would be... even with the longest paths and fudgey typing fingers, copy/paste works just fine.. Got a long path? Paste it in there and you're in there in less than a second e.g. cd d:\direct1\yabadaba\doo\1\yasa\hoohoo\vavoom

But yeah anyway.. if you're uncomfortable with cmd lines, then yes it might just be time consuming for someone. But the truth is it really is a lot more efficient for many types of file operations.

But then again there's a lot of situations where a GUI does work better. If you don't do a lot of work with files then it's probably all moot anyway. But it's just knowing what options are there for you.
    You have to navigate to that long path first in order to copy it.

However one feature I'd like to see added to Windows/Mac/Linux, etc is the ability to double-click a directory part in a path to get to that part of the path. For instance, in this path on my computer:

C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\My Documents\games 020211

I could click the word Matthew and it'd pull me back to the Matthew directory rather than hitting "up" over and over.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    MAME works fine. The only problem I've noticed when using the newest version was that it lists every game in the database rather than just the ones you have downloaded.
    They all default to the master MAME romlist, if you want it to only list what you have on your HDD filter it to only list the roms in the rom directory its pointing to.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rkotm View Post
    My ass it works-when it wants to, provided you have the right image..But, if i wanna try NFL Blitz or something, it says its missing the proper chd or image files..Lots of games work for me, but a lot (mainly newer) games dont ever find any images, even if i have the official set.I know i wont get a reply, but what gives??
    CHD files are large Hard Drive images or disk media images that are required to run games. For example Street Fighter III in the arcade used a GD rom and a motherboard containing the chip roms. In your NFL Blitz, you only have the roms (i.e. just the motherboard portion), you are going to need the NFL Blitz.CHD (not named that way, it's probably 478743.chd or some crap like that). Torrent MAME CHDs if you want to play the more recent games though a warning, it will most likely take up minimal 40 gigs for the CHDS if not more.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Yeah, it's a good emulator. It doesn't have as many problems as I originally said.

I think they should compact romsets into a single file (i.e., .arc for arcade, like .nes, .pce, .smc, etc.), if that's possible, so that you can associate the file type with the program and just double-click it to make it to run, and they should maybe provide compatibility lists for romsets so that it's easier for ROM sites to know which versions to host. It seems like there's some confusion here.
    They already compact romsets into a single file. It's called a zip archive.

And compatibility lists do exist. They're called MAME. The program allows people to extract the romset data and use them with frontends or rom managing tools to manage and play the games. Blame the morons that keep posting old romsets online instead of updating them like they should, it's their fault you have so much trouble finding "working" sets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    They already compact romsets into a single file. It's called a zip archive.

And compatibility lists do exist. They're called MAME. The program allows people to extract the romset data and use them with frontends or rom managing tools to manage and play the games. Blame the morons that keep posting old romsets online instead of updating them like they should, it's their fault you have so much trouble finding "working" sets.
    To add to the confusion is the parent and child rom sets. Use romcenter and the datfiles and you can have full merged sets (all rom files in both parent and child), split (parent zip file and child zip file must be in the same directory) and split merged (forgot what this one does)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Keeping merged sets is a very bad idea.

Not only are some filenames on these sets the same, keeping them merged may make it a bit harder for you to update or fix your sets when you upgrade to a newer version of MAME.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Front. Ends.

Seriously, if you spend a little time configuring everything, you're golden. Here's a couple shots of GameLauncher running in my cabinet, well, the first one was during construction so the monitor's not really "in" the cabinet...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by staxx View Post
    CHD files are large Hard Drive images or disk media images that are required to run games. For example Street Fighter III in the arcade used a GD rom and a motherboard containing the chip roms. In your NFL Blitz, you only have the roms (i.e. just the motherboard portion), you are going to need the NFL Blitz.CHD (not named that way, it's probably 478743.chd or some crap like that). Torrent MAME CHDs if you want to play the more recent games though a warning, it will most likely take up minimal 40 gigs for the CHDS if not more.
    And some of those CHDs are monsters. The CHDs for "Firefox" and "Mach 3" average 12GB each.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MAME isn't perfect, but what do you expect of a freeware emulator (especially one that supports so many games running off different hardware)? My main complaint is that games which ran perfectly under old versions of MAME are very choppy when played under newer versions of MAME. The hardware requirements have jumped up tremendously, affecting games that previously never demanded such powerful hardware to run well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have to navigate to that long path first in order to copy it.

However one feature I'd like to see added to Windows/Mac/Linux, etc is the ability to double-click a directory part in a path to get to that part of the path. For instance, in this path on my computer:

C:\Documents and Settings\Matthew\My Documents\games 020211

I could click the word Matthew and it'd pull me back to the Matthew directory rather than hitting "up" over and over.
    I'm guessing you don't have Win7? In Windows 7 (and I think, Vista) that's exactly how it works.. you can just click on the "matthew" and it'll bring you right back there. You can also choose any subfolders from a dropdown.

That being said you don't ever have actually navigate to any path.. you can just start typing in the navigation bar (or in the Win7 start field) and auto-complete does a lot of the work for you.. you usually just have to type a letter or two. Then once the path is all complete you can cut/paste and shove it in a cmd prompt. It's actually a very fast process.

Back on subject.. I've completely ignored Mame CHD games. Too much space and really not worth the effort. I mean is there anything CHD related that works completely and is fun to play? Please someone tell me

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guessing you don't have Win7? In Windows 7 (and I think, Vista) that's exactly how it works.. you can just click on the "matthew" and it'll bring you right back there. You can also choose any subfolders from a dropdown.
    Great! I didn't know!
    Last edited by stalepie; 03-16-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My biggest problem with MAME is that somehow people get the idea that the way Arcade games look, play, and sound in MAME is "perfect." I have had countless discussions with kiddos that think they have played the original Arcade version and found it better than a AAA console adaptation. There is no convincing somebody how great an adaptation like Strider on Genesis was when they grew up on N64 and can play the emulated Arcade game for free.

My experience was totally different. I played the Arcade game first at a grocery store with a 6x9 speaker five inches from my head. I bought the NES version first and then more than a couple of years later got to play it on my Genesis. Not only did the game seem roughly equivalent, it absolutely destroyed everything else available for home consoles at the time.

Anyway, one other problem. At 1080i on my HTPC + 40" LCD I can't read the game titles in any version of MAME.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That being said you don't ever have actually navigate to any path.. you can just start typing in the navigation bar (or in the Win7 start field) and auto-complete does a lot of the work for you.. you usually just have to type a letter or two. Then once the path is all complete you can cut/paste and shove it in a cmd prompt. It's actually a very fast process.

Back on subject.. I've completely ignored Mame CHD games. Too much space and really not worth the effort. I mean is there anything CHD related that works completely and is fun to play? Please someone tell me
    Killer Instinct (kinst.chd)
    Killer Instinct 2 (kinst2.chd)
    Street Fighter 3
    Street Fighter 3 2nd Impact
    Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
    Area 51
    To name a few

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

The older 5-key Beatmania games... several CPS3 games are also on CHD form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love when people complain about things they get for FREE.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by staxx View Post
    Killer Instinct (kinst.chd)
    THIS

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Actually, it's the only CHD file I have, and was totally worth the minimal effort it took to get.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    THIS

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Actually, it's the only CHD file I have, and was totally worth the minimal effort it took to get.
    KI 2 and SF III are the only CHD files I have. They both run great and KI2 actually runs a little fast on a five year old computer. To those complaining about NFL Blitz........it just doesn't work properly yet. It's one of my all time arcade favorites and I have tried EVERYTHING to get this game to work.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI