Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a PS3 purchase worth it at this point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

It's probably poor application of thermal paste. It's a fairly easy fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud121 View Post
    What I'm worried about though is if Sony will even bother? I heard that if you've had a third party work on your console, Sony won't even touch it.

Okay, doing a bit of research, it appears that Sony could fix it, despite the third party work. It's only the warranty that is an issue if the console is tampered with. Considering the fact my 20GB is a launch model, don't think that's an issue at this point.

Also, I just hooked it back up to check things out. Fifteen minutes after turning it on, fan was on full blast. So I'll probably just go the slim route, and not even bother with my 20GB at this point.

It's done, time to retire it completely. I've put so much money into her with upgrades and repairs, I'd feel like I'm wasting my time and money at this point.
    Unless you absolutely have to have BC, I would go with a slim, they run cooler, have bigger hard drives and are more reliable. It wouldn't surprise me if Sony does away with BC altogether with the PS4 if it's gonna drive up the cost of the machine by $100?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The refurbed units you get back from Sony, have they addressed all the issues like thermal paste, fans etc when you get the refurb? I've got a box of 5 broken PS3s sitting in my living room and I'd be happy to send in a couple, pay some extra cash and get a fully refurbed 60GB unit back that still has backwards compatibility.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    The refurbed units you get back from Sony, have they addressed all the issues like thermal paste, fans etc when you get the refurb? I've got a box of 5 broken PS3s sitting in my living room and I'd be happy to send in a couple, pay some extra cash and get a fully refurbed 60GB unit back that still has backwards compatibility.
    If you could open a Sony-repaired unit up and visually evaluate that sort of thing it would certainly make for a good addition to our knowledge base.

Send one of your 60 Gig units in for repairs and document the results.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I would never say it wasn't worth it to get any system late in its life. Even if you took a long time to get one, it's still going to take you a long time to play thru all the games you want for it and catch up. This is coming from someone who adopted almost all of his systems fairly late in their lifespan or long after the systems were retired from production. If you're into RPGs, there's plenty reason to get a PS3 with all those games that didn't get released on Xbox 360.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Easily 95% of the software library for both platforms is identical for the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3.

If you don't like the 360's library of software, you're not going to enjoy the PS3's.
    These are my thoughts as well.

I don't understand why the XBOXES get dogged so much for having First Person Shooters in their library (someone the PS2, PS2 and PS3 all have as well). I've heard this since the original XBOX. It's like some people think that the system would be better if they removed all of the First Person Shooters from the library. I HATE sports, so I don't purchase sports games; it's really that simple. Having sport games in the library of these systems doesn't take anything away from them. If you don't like FPS, try some of the hundreds of other games.

If you don't care for the majority of games on the 360, you probably won't care for most of the games on the PS3 either, honestly. The biggest difference between the two systems to me at this point is the controller, and the online component. Unless there's a notable difference in the releases, I purchase multi-platform games for the 360 because I prefer the 360 controller. I don't play online, so LIVE! vs. PSN doesn't matter to me, but it's worth noting that PSN is free, though they offer the Premium "Plus" paid package which gets you access to a TON of "free" games (many full retail releases) to download each month and keep. The list of games changes every month, but you have access to the games you downloaded before so long as you're still a Plus member.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    pnkfloyd71

I like the 360 controller much more too,but enjoy playing on the PS3 because many of my "real life" friends that play video games have a PS3. So, what I did was buy a PS3 controller that resembles a 360 controller (Power A) If the controller is the issue, keep that in mind. Like the others, I would agree that if you don't like the games on the 360, you probably won't enjoy the PS3 so much. I do like the Uncharted series on the PS3 (exclusive), but other than that most of the games I play are cross platform.

You could always get into PC gaming...

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    These are my thoughts as well.

I purchase multi-platform games for the 360 because I prefer the 360 controller.
    Last edited by Lucifersam1; 06-26-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

A relative handful of 1st party releases (Most of which hardly tread new ground such as the Resistance series and Gran Turismo 5 or represent types of experiences not available to 360 owners with counterparts like three Forza releases to a single GT game) and the occasional downloadable exclusive (Of which there haven't been many of) hardly seems reason to buy a Playstation 3 after apparantly being nothing but disatisfied by the selection that is available.

That selection is essentially the same as on the Xbox 360. I don't see how someone could fall in love with a Playstation 3 after being disgusted with almost the same library of games on the competition. And while you mention some nice positives that the Playstation 3 offers, I doubt most people consider things like PSone compatibility as game changers. And the Xbox 360 has gotten scores of niche releases that are prime material for the classic gamer like that excellent Raiden Fighters compilation.

I hope he enjoys the heck out of it since it's a nice console, but I just don't see it in light of what he wrote in his post. The library's are so similar and such a massive percentage of them are multiplatform releases available on both that I just can't imagine someone that thinks the 360's library wasn't satisfactory thinking any differently about the PS3's.

Kind of surprised with so many multiple console owners here that I'm the first to raise the fact that greater than 95% of all releases on both consoles are available on both. Seems foolish to recommend it to him in light of his experience with almost the same library of releases on the 360.
    The op specifically mentioned several things that are PS3 exclusives.

-mentioned loving playing PS1
    -The Ratchet and Clank Series, and more specifically it sounded like All 4 One.
    -"loved" playing through a bit of Uncharted 3
    -Seemed uninterested in FPS offerings, until move support came up which is supported on Killzone 3 and Resistance 3
    -Several light gun games offerings with move support

I am not denying that their library's are similar as this generation seems to have more cross-pollination then I've ever seen. However don't think their libraries are very similar when it comes down to exclusive experiences and since he already had a 360 and found it unsatisfactory that's the only thing we are really discussing here. The xbox360 definitely has a leg up on the PS3 in both SHUMPS, wider selection of DDR games, and the whole Kinect experience. It also has some of great offerings in XBLA but outside of a few exceptions I think its exclusive offerings are pretty weak unless you really love Halo, Gears, Forza, or Fable.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstar Hero View Post
    First person shooters without a light gun? No thank you.
    Holy CRAP, how could I have missed that comment?!

If your personal barrier to enjoying an FPS is the lack of a "light gun", seriously, Gunstar Hero, if you do ever get a PS3 - get yourself the Move bundle with Killzone 3 and the Sharpshooter attachment.

I'm really bummed that more people didn't experience Killzone 3 with that setup ... once you tweak the sensitivity settings to your personal liking (and it does have a wide enough range to allow for ultra-sensitive to not very sensitive) it works SO much better than one would imagine a setup like that to.

If you think about it, it's actually just a mouse/keyboard type aiming setup with the move tracking X/Y on the screen like you would with a mouse pointer and the nav controller handling your movement.

I can't speak for any other game that uses the sharpshooter attachment, but Killzone 3 is a perfect application of the tech that the developers obviously spent some serious time engineering to work.

Also, if light gun games are your thing, Move has proven to be a very competent traditional light-gun simulator. The Time Crisis Rizing Storm disc has some NAMCO arcade classics on there (though admittedly Rizing Storm itself isn't very good), and SEGA released House of the Dead 3 and 4 on PSN and Move works awesome with them.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    The software library is great IMO and while there's a very large parity with brick/mortar releases between PS3 and 360 I'm shocked people in this community are under-selling what is available on the PSN.

From PSOne games to Minis, to imports, to classic remakes, theres a metric ton of stuff on there that should appeal to the classic game enthusiast, and with PLUS you get access to a lot of that content for "free" (yes yes semantics) on a weekly basis.

A good bit of it is shared between the two. Many of the types of games that appeal to the classic gaming enthusiast are shared between the two like the 2D Worms games, the Capcom releases, the Sega releases, etc.

And in place of all those nice Data East and pre NeoGeo SNK PSP Mini's, we have a significant portion of Konami's 1980's coinop library on the Game Room service for comparable prices.

I just don't see the PS3's library being such significantly different for someone that they'd appreciate this console much more than a 360 after being disgusted with the lineup available there. Just so much of it is shared between the two and much of it that isn't still has comparable options available on the other (Konami coinop downloads versus SNK/Data East PSP Minis from G1M2, for instance).

And with the 360 seemingly being the place for niche releases these days with things like Akai Katana, I'm not so sure if he wouldn't eventually decide he actually liked this library less.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I don't understand why the XBOXES get dogged so much for having First Person Shooters in their library (someone the PS2, PS2 and PS3 all have as well). I've heard this since the original XBOX. It's like some people think that the system would be better if they removed all of the First Person Shooters from the library.
    In addition to that, they seem to not realize that most every FPS (And the occasional 3rd person shooter) is multiplatform and appears on both. And for the exclusives, they both seem to get them in comparable amounts. We have what, 5 or so Halo releases and 2 or 3 Gears of War releases to 2 or 3 Resistance releases. the Killzone releases, and several games from the SOCUM guys?

Eliminating a few games from the first year that the 360 was on the market before the PS3 (Like Call of Duty 2), I suspect the FPS counts for both have been extremely close. Not sure why people want to portray the 360 as a FPS haven and the PS3 as somehow being significantly different.

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    The op specifically mentioned several things that are PS3 exclusives...
    I certainly think a PS3 is closer to what he wants than a 360 due to what I also read in his post.

But that still doesn't erase the fact that we're talking about fairly minor differences and that the vast majority of the experience is largely identical across both platforms.

If he buys a PS3, I hope he enjoys it. But I think there's a solid chance he won't considering his views on the 360.

One point you raise though that i think is a bit of a selling point for the PS3 are things like the House of the Dead games and Move. There are actually Move titles that interest me where as with the possible exception of Steel Battalion which I haven't paid much attention to yet, there's really nothing with Kinect that even intrigues me. But that still strikes me as a fairly minor difference and I think he'll find that the average Move compatable FPS actually is more playable with a Dual Shock 3 and that Move is best left for things like light gun style shooters, the upcoming Okami port (Too bad the RE4 port didn't have Move support), etc (With the exception of Killzone, judging by Frankie's post, I'd say Move adds to the experience there).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-26-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

And in place of all those nice Data East and pre NeoGeo SNK PSP Mini's, we have a significant portion of Konami's 1980's coinop library on the Game Room service for comparable prices.
    I jumped on the Game Room service early, but it had its problems. I found that a lot of the games suffered from a strange intermittent pause, that too often happened at the worst times. Breakout became frustrating, when the ball was inches from your paddle and then the game would have that slight pause, causing you to miss the ball. The same thing would happen with Centipede.

I just don't see the PS3's library being such significantly different for someone that they'd appreciate this console much more than a 360 after being disgusted with the lineup available there. Just so much of it is shared between the two and much of it that isn't still has comparable options available on the other (Konami coinop downloads versus SNK/Data East PSP Minis from G1M2, for instance).
    There are plenty of exclusives like Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, with its added playable characters, extra bosses and true 1080p visuals. You also have God of War III, Heavenly Sword, 3-D Dot Game Heroes, Wipeout HD, Disgaea 3, Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, Super Stardust, Little Big Planet, Zen Pinball and the HD remakes of PS2 classics.

There's enough there to make it a nice alternative to the 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own a PS3 and I don't own an Xbox 360, and I still find that my taste in PS3 games skews more towards exclusive (and semi-exclusive) games than multiplatform. So I'd say PS3 is definitely worth owning.

However, the price is too high right now. It's really overdue for a price drop. You may want to wait a few months and see if it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

I certainly think a PS3 is closer to what he wants than a 360 due to what I also read in his post.

But that still doesn't erase the fact that we're talking about fairly minor differences and that the vast majority of the experience is largely identical across both platforms.

If he buys a PS3, I hope he enjoys it. But I think there's a solid chance he won't considering his views on the 360.

One point you raise though that i think is a bit of a selling point for the PS3 are things like the House of the Dead games and Move. There are actually Move titles that interest me where as with the possible exception of Steel Battalion which I haven't paid much attention to yet, there's really nothing with Kinect that even intrigues me. But that still strikes me as a fairly minor difference and I think he'll find that the average Move compatable FPS actually is more playable with a Dual Shock 3 and that Move is best left for things like light gun style shooters, the upcoming Okami port (Too bad the RE4 port didn't have Move support), etc (With the exception of Killzone, judging by Frankie's post, I'd say Move adds to the experience there).
    If he buys a PS3 for multiplatform games then yeah he will have a similar experience but that is not what it sounds like he is thinking of at all. Regardless I'll agree to disagree on this.

Thats funny that you mentioned Steel Battalion as that was the game that would of pushed me to pick up a 360/Kinect if it was done well and sadly it looks like it hasn't. Its a real shame too as lot of the features in that game looked to really bring you into the world they created but apparently the Kinect side of things is just too imprecise. I definitely agree about Move implementation on standard FPS games, its an alternative then an outright replacement for a Dual Shock. I found using the Sharpshooter+Move in Killzone that you sacrifice some quick turning ability for more precise aiming and it was more or less the same deal with Socom 4. However it is a ton of fun working with a physical object in your hands rather then just a standard controller in those games and I tend to find people who aren't used to the standard controller take to the Move controls much better. I haven't played a light gun game with the Move yet, however I hear good things and am looking forward to RE Chronicles HD's release coming up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    If he buys a PS3 for multiplatform games then yeah he will have a similar experience but that is not what it sounds like he is thinking of at all.
    All he did was mention enjoying a demo for the Ratchet & Clank multiplayer game and Uncharted 3.

It's a pretty big leap from that to thinking he's primarily considering this just to play Sony published software (Much of which doesn't really tread new ground and several that have comparable exclusives on the competition... not to mention I bet MGS4 ends up being ported to the 360 before everything is said and done with this generation which is one of the big ones always mentioned).

I bet I'm right. If he gets his hands on a PS3, he'll have to revisit this thread down the road and let everyone know what he thinks of it. Got a feeling he'll be posting about just how similar the software lineup was to his 360.

I own this console for the exclusives and enjoy it. But I enjoy modern gaming and see lots to love on both platforms (Although there are certainly areas I think both are weak in such as the lack of classic compilations, the near death of the rally racing genre this generation, the lack of space shooters like the old days, etc.).

I just don't see how someone can care so little for the library of console A feeling any differently about console B when there are so many parallels (Not to mention the vast majority of releases appear on both). A gamer can certainly have a great time on here and never move beyond exclusives.

But those exclusives by and large don't really do anything different that you can't find from other publishers. Want fun arcade racers but lack a PS3 for Motorstorm? Give Project Gotham 3 & 4 a try. Want to play some exclusive first person shooters but can't play Killzone or Resistance? Give the Halo releases a try. Want to play a Gran Turismo style racer but lack a PS3? You got three clones that were all recieved well available on the 360 in the form of the Forza series. Want to experience a game like Heavy Rain? Download Indigo Prophecy and experience its predecessor on the 360 and one of the best running original Xbox games on the platform. Want to play a modern Ninja Gaiden game? You have original Xbox games that run and look great on the 360 as well as 360 releases. Want some MGS action? I believe that compilation made its way out on the 360 a few months ago which also seems to suggest to some that MGS4 will also make an appearance.

I don't see how Sony published software is going to give him a drastically different take on the software library of this platform. Now if he was going on about how much he loved modern gaming and his 360 and was wondering if PS3 exclusives were worth the purchase of the system, I'd be in here recommending it to him since clearly he's likely to enjoy PS3 exclusives as well.

But he doesn't feel that way and the PS3 is very much a comparable platform. Anyways, like has already been said, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-26-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I own this console for the exclusives and enjoy it. But I enjoy modern gaming and see lots to love on both platforms (Although there are certainly areas I think both are weak in such as the lack of classic compilations, the near death of the rally racing genre this generation, the lack of space shooters like the old days, etc.).
    You don't like the Dirt series?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

All he did was mention enjoying a demo for the Ratchet & Clank multiplayer game and Uncharted 3.

It's a pretty big leap from that to thinking he's primarily considering this just to play Sony published software (Much of which doesn't really tread new ground and several that have comparable exclusives on the competition... not to mention I bet MGS4 ends up being ported to the 360 before everything is said and done with this generation which is one of the big ones always mentioned).

I don't see how Sony published software is going to give him a drastically different take on the software library of this platform. Now if he was going on about how much he loved modern gaming and his 360 and was wondering if PS3 exclusives were worth the purchase of the system, I'd be in here recommending it to him since clearly he's likely to enjoy PS3 exclusives as well.

But he doesn't feel that way and the PS3 is very much a comparable platform. Anyways, like has already been said, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Once the newest game comes out, there will be five Ratchet and Clank games on the PS3. I've only played the demo of All 4 One(although I now have the full game on my PS3,) and thought it was decent, but I've also heard that All 4 One is the worst in the series and that Tools of Destruction is the best. So if he likes All 4 One, there's four other games in the same series that have been highly praised. I've never played any of them other than the demo I've mentioned, so I won't go into "these games are amazing," because I have no idea. There's also the Ratchet and Clank HD Collection which brings three of the PS2 games onto the console as well.

If he liked the part of Uncharted 3 he was playing, then he'll more than likely also like Uncharted 2 and the original to a lesser extent. The first one does tend to throw more enemies at you and less of the other aspects though, but the other games are less shooting, more Tomb Raider style or big action movie sequence style, but still it's a shooter at its core.

Twisted Metal is the finest multiplayer game this generation. Unfortunately, the online fucking sucks. Such an amazing game has the shittiest online in the world. It's worth getting only if you have friends that will come over and play, but forget about playing it online as the community is pretty much gone because of how bad it is.

I didn't like the demo of the first Little Big Planet, but played the demo of the second, and liked the demo better, so picked up the second game. Every stage can be played single player or multiplayer with up to four players and is more fun playing with a friend.

White Knight Chronicles 2 is the best RPG I've played on the console, although if you're questioning this, no I don't count Demon's Souls as an RPG. I haven't played Eternal Sonata and Tales of Graces F though. Those could be better. I also haven't played Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, and The Last Remnant, and while I've heard bad things about IU and TLR, I'm still interested in playing those sometime.

Yakuza 3 and 4. Everyone knows how much I love the Yakuza series. I have 80+ hours in Yakuza 3, I have the mini game master trophy(weapon mod and EX Hard is all I need to finish until I platinum it.) I platinumed Yakuza 4.

Valkyria Chronicles is a great game. It's really less of an RPG and more of a strategy game with slight RPG influences. There's no traditional way of leveling up. Every class that you have the same is on the same level. However, the game is a bit overrated. As great of a strategy game it is, and it's indeed good, it's pretty bullshit when your sniper misses a headshot fairly close to the target, but an enemy sniper gets two headshots in a row all the way across the map. Yes. The accuracy is bullshit and favors the computer in almost every instance. So make sure you know what you're doing before it's done.

Infamous 2. The first one is okay, but the second one is worth getting. I'd recommend watching a Youtube video of all the story for the first one though, because the story is pretty amazing on the first one, what little there is. The second game is an altogether better experience. The gameplay is more refined, and you can also use multiple different bolts, grenades, shockwaves, and missiles for each class, as well as some alternate stuff.

3D Dot Game Heroes. I liked the original Zelda, I liked Link's Awakening, but believe it or not, I hated Link to the Past and as many times as I've tried to play through it, I got bored shortly after starting the game and quit each and every time. I just can't play the game without getting extremely bored of it. Then I play 3D Dot Game Heroes. I didn't expect much, infact I thought I'd hate it due to the art style, 3D blocks and such. But after starting out, playing through it, man. Absolutely amazing game. It's also my very first venture into a tower defense and is the reason I purchased Pixel Junk Monsters for the PSN, and while Pixel Junk Monsters is decent, Block Defense is much better in my opinion. A mini game outdoing a full game.

Wipeout HD. One of the greatest racing games ever made. One of the only games, if not the only game, that runs 1080p on the PS3 while maintaining 60FPS.

So there's the eight Ratchet and Clank games along with 12 exclusives that I liked, and two more that are highly praised but I only enjoyed their sequels. That's just based on what I've played. It's not including the other exclusives out there. Most of these games have absolutely nothing comparable to them on the 360. Some do, but most don't. One major thing about these games is that they're completely exclusive. You can't jump over to Steam and also play these games. The only way you're going to play these games is on the PS3. The 360 has console exclusives as well, but most of the better ones other than the big four can already be played on PC, so it really doesn't make them that exclusive. Do you want to play Super Meat Boy, Breath of Death 7, Cthulu Saves the World, Bastion, The Last Remant, Left 4 Dead, etc, etc, etc, then get the dirt cheap PC versions.

Everyone has different opinions, and he might end up hating Yakuza 3, but just throwing out there a majority of the exclusives in my collection that I've played and liked. Not even including those I liked that are also on the Wii, like Dead Space Extraction(which is includued on the Dead Space 2 Limited Edition disc) or as a digital game. Dead Space Extraction is the best Move compatible title I've played. I didn't list the games, because they're not exclusive, so doesn't matter.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 06-27-2012 at 03:11 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    You don't like the Dirt series?
    I enjoy the Dirt series (Besides Dirt Showdown which I have zero intentions of purchasing). In fact I've earned all the achievement points in Dirt 1, just need a couple of hours of multiplayer in Dirt 2 to 1000 it one of these days, and I've been working on Dirt 3 in recent weeks after buying the complete edition of it. Codemaster racing games have represented a significant part of my current generation gametime so far (I've also completed Grid, spent significant time with F1 2010, and have F1 2011 here sitting in shrinkwrap waiting for me to wrap up F1 2010 one of these days).

But with the exception of the original Dirt, they can hardly be considered rally racers. Rally racing is a very small component of Dirt 2 (There was like one rally course in the entire game set in Croatia as I recall with 3 or 4 stages) and Dirt 3 (Including the Monte Carlo DLC, I think it has 5 rally locations with a handful of stages each). And many key components of a rally racer like tire selection, managing damage during service stops, and such are completely absent.

Beyond the Dirt series, we just have the WRC series with two games and an upcoming 3rd. And they haven't even been released here in North America to date. I've had to import the PS3 versions from Europe just to play them. And for arcade games, we have Sega Rally Revo and Sega Rally Online Arcade. And if you want to count them, there are a couple of games based on Baja that are available (One that is average and another that is considered shovelware).

Off the top of my head, compare that with three Colin McRae releases from Codemasters that were pure rally racers, the excellent Dice arcade series called RalliSport Challenge that got two releases before dying, Sony's WRC series with 5 excellent releases and all were dedicated rally racers, Rally Championship, the arcade racers Rally Fusion and Rally Shox, Pro Rally or something like that on the GameCube, two games based on the Dakar rally, V-Rally 3, Richard Burns Rally, and Sega Rally 2006 bundled with a port of the original Sega Rally. Granted quite a few of those were import purchases unavailable here, but you get the idea...

Sadly we've seen this genre suffer greatly this generation. I just hope Dirt Showdown means that Dirt 4 will be returning to its roots so at least Codemasters will start making rally racers again (Or at least games like the original Dirt where rally appears more than a mere afterthought)...
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-27-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Thank you to everyone for all of the help. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'll just try to sum up what I've heard. The earlier models are cheaper and play PS1, PS2, and PS3 and don't seem to have any other negatives compared to the slim models besides the bulky design, which for me is no problem. Although it shares many titles with the 360, the PS3 has a considerable amount of exclusives for me to get my fix. The Uncharted games look great, if I got the PS move and the light gun then there are a good amount of light gun games out there, Ratchet and Clank is fun and great for Multiplayer (the new one), infamous looks great, and I'm sure there are many others out there. Mix that with PSN and the tons of old and new titles available with a membership and I'm sure I can have fun with those games. In addition it's a BluRay player and has the best graphics on the console market. The new Xbox and PS4 don't seem to be coming out any time soon and new rumors are saying the Wii U will launch at a whopping $600! If I can find a good deal on one (even on DP if anyone doesn't want theirs) I think I will love my new PS3. Am I missing anything or did I get anything wrong? Please tell me so I don't make a hasty purchase and become disappointed!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

^ Unless you become a PS+ member before the first Tuesday of next month, the games previously listed will no longer be available. You have to be a current PS+ member and activate the games on your PSN account for future use. They'll be available anytime in the future, but if you weren't subscribed during the period they were out and downloaded them or activated them for download, you won't have access to them unless they're back a future month.

Just wanting to let you know that just in case that is one of your buying decisions.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I just went down the RPG list on both consoles, deleting the multiplatform games and it seems both of them had roughly the same amount of exclusives from each other. Pretty close to 40 each. For someone who plays only RPGs most of the time, 35-40 games is a whole heck of a lot to miss out on. If anyone is into RPGs in general at this point I would say Xbox 360 and PS3 are both must haves. But then we get down to types of RPGs. Almost all the Xbox exclusive RPGs are action RPGs. On PS3, there are some more exclusive turn-based and Strategy RPGs than on the 360, but only make up about a third of the list.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]