Thread: Panzer Dragoon Remake for Nintendo Switch

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool Panzer Dragoon Remake for Nintendo Switch

"Panzer Dragoon: Remake (Forever Entertainment, 26th Mar, £22.49 / €24.99 / $24.99) - On a far, lone planet, you encounter two dragons awakened from the ancient times. Armed with a deadly gun from the past, and the guidance of your armored blue dragon, you must fulfill your destiny and keep the Prototype Dragon from reaching the Tower, or die trying."

LRG will be publishing tangible copies of Panzer Dragoon: Remake soon in two variants - regular Switch and "SEGA Saturn" Switch.

Screenshots:
    https://www.nintendo.com/games/detai...remake-switch/

Launch trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/oYPRh7epKi4

Some gameplay:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNMS9bMX60Q

Further reading:
    https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...on_coming_soon

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

Thats one of those games that goes for way more money than Id ever be willing to pay and Im glad they are making a legal, licensed physical copy of it for people who dont have an unlimited amount of money to spend on toys

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Thats one of those games that goes for way more money than Id ever be willing to pay and Im glad they are making a legal, licensed physical copy of it for people who dont have an unlimited amount of money to spend on toys
    It's the remake version though.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    This isn't Panzer Dragoon Saga, it's Panzer Dragoon. I thought the original game wasn't that expensive for the Saturn, or did the pricing change since I last checked prices?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Looks like CIB US Saturn copies usually go for $70-$80. Around $40 for a loose disc. Basically any US Saturn game that's got a good reputation (and some that don't) goes for a decent chunk of change these days.

From what I hear, the remake has been getting mixed reviews. Supposedly has a lot of issues, like with the frame rate and such. I'm not surprised LRG is doing the physical release. These days, they seem to often put out versions of games that are pretty buggy and broken, like the Switch versions of a number of IFI games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'll stick with playing it off the Panzer Dragoon Orta disc on my softmodden Xboxes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Looks like CIB US Saturn copies usually go for $70-$80. Around $40 for a loose disc. Basically any US Saturn game that's got a good reputation (and some that don't) goes for a decent chunk of change these days.
    Last I was aware complete copies were selling for around $10-$20 or so, it seems I really am out of touch with current Saturn prices. There's still lots of games I'm hoping to get but it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford them anytime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Last I was aware complete copies were selling for around $10-$20 or so, it seems I really am out of touch with current Saturn prices. There's still lots of games I'm hoping to get but it doesn't look like I'll be able to afford them anytime soon.
    It's mostly the u.s version of panzer dragoon 1&2 that are expensive now while the japanese ones are still cheaper in price.Same can be said for saga too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    It's mostly the u.s version of panzer dragoon 1&2 that are expensive now while the japanese ones are still cheaper in price.Same can be said for saga too.
    I'm pretty sure I had North American copies at some point, excluding Saga. I didn't bother keeping them as I personally didn't get into the games much. I remember playing the games, at least the first Panzer Dragoon, which is why I think I owned copies at some point. Back when you could still find Saturn games at thrifts or from classifieds for cheap. I'm just surprised I can't clearly remember owning or selling them as I usually remember this stuff with games pretty well.

There's nothing wrong with buying Japanese copies to save money except they would be a bit difficult to run on US hardware and they're in Japanese instead of English. There's a lot of games where I'm just waiting to find proper English copies just so I can understand them better, they're mostly still all cheap in Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I'm pretty sure I had North American copies at some point, excluding Saga. I didn't bother keeping them as I personally didn't get into the games much. I remember playing the games, at least the first Panzer Dragoon, which is why I think I owned copies at some point. Back when you could still find Saturn games at thrifts or from classifieds for cheap. I'm just surprised I can't clearly remember owning or selling them as I usually remember this stuff with games pretty well.

There's nothing wrong with buying Japanese copies to save money except they would be a bit difficult to run on US hardware and they're in Japanese instead of English. There's a lot of games where I'm just waiting to find proper English copies just so I can understand them better, they're mostly still all cheap in Japan.
    Knowing japanese of course only matters for the jpn version of saga if you want to know the story etc.Japanese,Panzer Dragoon 1&2 are pretty much straight up rail shooters so knowing the language isn't a must at least.Though it's weird when the saturn ended by the late 90's the u.s version of panzer dragoon 1&2,were fairly cheap.Where is today the sega saturn has become collectable especially it's u.s releases.For the panzer dragoon remake there's talk of it getting a patch to address the controller issues.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 03-30-2020 at 11:54 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've been holding my Panzer Dragoon games since the mid 2000s, before prices got crazy. I was tempted by the classic edition over at LRG, but I rationalized with myself thinking I already have Panzer Dragoon games in real Saturn cases and wasn't worth the extra $20. I did order a standard copy though.

It does seem like most Saturn games you just really can't get cheap anymore period. I feel they are probably one of the hardest systems to find games in the wild for. Even if you do find them, it's usually the same sports titles with maybe a copy of Robotica or Daytona. I was actively collecting for Saturn and was watching Mega Man 8 go from a $40 game to a $200 in real time. I had actually just bought Mega Man X4 for saturn for $35 as probably the last time I would ever see low prices on Saturn games, because they all went up and stayed there after that. It made me take a break from collecting for a while but I got back into it within the past few years or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They added the new soundtrack in an update. It's.. interesting. I much prefer the original.

While I like the remake, I agree with all the criticisms I've seen of it, including:

The dragon bobs up and down wildly, making it difficult to know where your hit box is
    The lock on seems to be way too fussy, sometimes requiring multiple passes over an enemy to catch (I turned down the sensitivity to 85 to at least make it somewhat more reliable)
    The camera is in way too close by default (you can push it out with the right stick, however)
    There is a very noticeable 1/2 second delay between pushing a button to change your view to the sides to when it actually changes (I adjusted to this quickly enough, but ..why? It's been a long time since I played the original, I dont remember this kind of button lag)
    very noticeable frame-rate drops at times (the worst I noticed was during the Episode 4 boss, for some reason)
    Seems to be a very bare-bones release (though you can unlock some cheat menu options after you beat the game on Hard difficulty)

In addition, I'll add that the shadow quality is distractingly low quality and flickery (PC port will hopefully mend this)

I had some fun with it, despite the issues. Maybe not $24.99 fun. I'm supporting in hopes that Zwei actually follows, as I missed out on that one.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

I opted for the LRG copy. So be a while before I play.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i wonder if LRG will handle the other physicals when the limited exclusive thing runs out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They just dropped an update that apparently fixed nearly every issue I outlined in my previous post.

Except the darn flickery shadows.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I could have sworn I read somewhere that the physical cart WILL have these updates on cart. If true, that is great news. I'm a Panzer Dragoon fan, so I was going to buy the physical regardless.

Edit: It's in the comments from them on their twitter (which I don't have, I just googled it)

Panzer Dragoon: Remake
    @PanzerDragoonRE
    Replying to
    ---------------(I removed the name)
    The update will be included in the physical edition of course
    9:53 AM · May 13, 2020·Twitter Web App
    Last edited by mailman187666; 05-15-2020 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    KingOfPain95

I bought a copy of Otra for 10$ right as GameStop was lowering prices on OG Xbox games in 2008, that's amongst one of my luckiest finds. I had all the SEGA Dreamcast sequel games for the og XBOX at one point as a teen but only kept Otra & Jet Set Radio/Sega GT 2002.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I didn't even know Orta had increased in value, though it makes sense. I'm glad I picked up a copy for cheap too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Its crazy how Orta, a game from 3 generations ago, looks better than the new switch remake, especially in 4k on xbox one x.