Thread: Donkey Kong Arcade (ColecoVision)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Donkey Kong Arcade (ColecoVision)

Here is a new port I have been working for the ColecoVision: Donkey Kong Arcade.
    The goal is to have a port of DK that plays as close to the original arcade as possible for the CV.
    The latest build is fully playable, including a preliminary sprite driver with flickering management.
    Still missing are all the intermissions and sound. High score registration isn't shown but is already implemented. Please keep in mind that the sprite driver is preliminary, just something I put together in a couple of hours to test the game. Final driver will be much more optimized in terms of flickering. As it is, the driver can support only 4 objects (8 sprites) in the same scanline, and it doesn't handle optimally an even number of objects.
    I hope to have some footage of the game running on a real ColecoVision later today. For now enjoy the video taken from BlueMSX. BTW, I will release a playable demo as soon as I test the game with the latest public release of BlueMSX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cInmYs4bwo

Eduardo
    Eduardo Mello
    [url]www.opcodegames.com[/url]
    Opcode Games - Bringing new life to your ColecoVision
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks very very close, great job! Even without the animations and the slight flickering, it still looks awesome. It looks like you're porting the original Japanese version of the game, instead of the US version.

One small thing I noticed, and it's not and big deal (and I'm sure you know this), but the scoring information at the top is slightly different in the US and Japanese versions. Again it has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay, and really isn't a big deal- just noticing, that's all.

Anyway still amazing stuff and keep up the good work. When do you think you'll have it ready for release? Do you have a ballpark estimate or is it still too far away yet?
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 07-17-2009 at 02:30 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, the current build is based on the Japanese arcade. Final build will include both versions, just like Pac-Man Collection.
    About the scoring information, I never noticed anything different, so I would appreciate if you can post the differences here.
    About release, the idea is to offer the game as a free pack-in for the Opgrade Module later this year, then release it as a collection with DKJr next year.
    I actually just played the game on a real ColecoVision (believe it or not for the first time... not kidding, I am that patient), and it runs absolutely flawless, as smooth as the arcade game. The sprite flickering is also quite good for a quick fix, and I hope the final driver will be even better.
    I must confess, even though I have been porting the game for I while, I am still in awe with I just saw. Now I need a DeLorean to send it back to 1982... Take that, Atari 800!
    Some footage of my wife playing the game on a real CV soon...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Looks very very close, great job! Even without the animations and the slight flickering, it still looks awesome. It looks like you're porting the original Japanese version of the game, instead of the US version.

One small thing I noticed, and it's not and big deal (and I'm sure you know this), but the scoring information at the top is slightly different in the US and Japanese versions. Again it has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay, and really isn't a big deal- just noticing, that's all.

Anyway still amazing stuff and keep up the good work. When do you think you'll have it ready for release? Do you have a ballpark estimate or is it still too far away yet?
    Eduardo Mello
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I missed pac man. I do not want to miss this.
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by opcode View Post
    About the scoring information, I never noticed anything different, so I would appreciate if you can post the differences here.
    Give me a little while to hunt down some screens or videos to illustrate the differences. I'll put them up later this evening.

EDIT:

OK, here's a shot from my American Donkey Kong cocktail arcade. Notice that the jumpman's lives are on the opposite side and are displayed in a different way. Here's also a Youtube video of it in action.

OK, the following video is taken from the unlockable arcade version of Donkey Kong in the N64 game Donkey Kong 64. This is supposedly a port of the original Japanese version, with the levels in the 1-2-3-4 order. I can't find a youtube video or screen grab of the actual Japanese arcade, so I'm going by the version included with DK 64. You may need to do a little further research and make sure that this is a direct port of the Japanese arcade. I'm definately not an expert on all things DK. But notice how the scoring and life info on the top is different from your Colecovision port and the American arcade version.

HERE IS THE DONKEY KONG 64 JAPANESE ARCADE PORT

Anyway I hope I've helped you out a bit. I didn't mean to create a headache.
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 07-17-2009 at 05:11 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mianrtcv View Post
    I missed pac man. I do not want to miss this.
    Actually it's still available.
    Eduardo Mello

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I see what you mean now. Actually my port doesn't follow the arcade layout because of the lack of screen space. The arcade is 256 pixels high, while the CV is just 192 (of course the arcade uses a vertically oriented monitor). So since I was forced to use as few scanlines as possible, I took many liberties with the score layout. If you play DK on MAME you will see that both the Japanese and US versions have the exact same layout. The N64 version also changed the original layout, probably to save a few scanlines.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Give me a little while to hunt down some screens or videos to illustrate the differences. I'll put them up later this evening.

EDIT:

OK, here's a shot from my American Donkey Kong cocktail arcade. Notice that the jumpman's lives are on the opposite side and are displayed in a different way. Here's also a Youtube video of it in action.

OK, the following video is taken from the unlockable arcade version of Donkey Kong in the N64 game Donkey Kong 64. This is supposedly a port of the original Japanese version, with the levels in the 1-2-3-4 order. I can't find a youtube video or screen grab of the actual Japanese arcade, so I'm going by the version included with DK 64. You may need to do a little further research and make sure that this is a direct port of the Japanese arcade. I'm definately not an expert on all things DK. But notice how the scoring and life info on the top is different from your Colecovision port and the American arcade version.

HERE IS THE DONKEY KONG 64 JAPANESE ARCADE PORT

Anyway I hope I've helped you out a bit. I didn't mean to create a headache.
    Eduardo Mello

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by opcode View Post
    Ok, I see what you mean now. Actually my port doesn't follow the arcade layout because of the lack of screen space. The arcade is 256 pixels high, while the CV is just 192 (of course the arcade uses a vertically oriented monitor). So since I was forced to use as few scanlines as possible, I took many liberties with the score layout. If you play DK on MAME you will see that both the Japanese and US versions have the exact same layout. The N64 version also changed the original layout, probably to save a few scanlines.
    Completely understandable. It was just something I noticed, nevertheless you're doing an awesome job. And you're right, the arcade monitor is turned 90 degrees from the standard TV aspect ratio, so I'm sure adjustments will have to be made.