Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ouya's New Controversial Ad (graphic)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Small companies with smaller marketing budgets usually resort to shit like this. They knew it was going to be divisive, but we're talking about Ouya, right? Even if this ad was universally praised it wouldn't change the perception that it's an extremely flawed product. I applaud them for trying, but the Ouya train is going to stop sooner rather than later.
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    How exactly would you "have your feelings checked"? I'm sorry, but I have yet to find anyone that thinks this commercial is funny or interesting or effective. Just because you're too insensitive to think something is a problem doesn't mean that other people are too sensitive. Personally, I just think the commercial was poorly done and a waste of money and just more evidence that Ouya is an amateurish product headed for failure.
    I don't think that it's a particularly great commercial but it doesn't upset me like it seems to upset you.

If anything it seems to get its point out pretty well. A lot of people are burnt out of paying $50-$60 every year to get essentially the same games that they had the year before. If you don't agree with this then obviously it's not for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I found it funny.

No more offensive then the Sony anti-saturn ads which referenced planet Uranus.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I don't think that it's a particularly great commercial but it doesn't upset me like it seems to upset you.

If anything it seems to get its point out pretty well. A lot of people are burnt out of paying $50-$60 every year to get essentially the same games that they had the year before. If you don't agree with this then obviously it's not for you.
    If I don't agree with what? I have a PC, tablets, smartphones, and every current console and handheld out there. Even if I had only a fraction of those things, I would still have massive libraries of creative and original games available to me. Just because some games get sequels every year doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of other games including lots of smaller, creative games available on the most popular platforms. The Ouya is a product that lacks a real market. Even many of the developers who launched games on it have pretty quickly moved to release their stuff on PCs and other platforms. There is nothing creative or original about the Ouya and the idea that it is an open platform was destroyed the second they built their own store that works identically to the ones Apple and Google already operate. If Ouya was really looking to shake things up, they could have made it a truly open platform and allowed every developer and publisher to sell games directly without resorting to a store where they would take their cut.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I don't agree with what? I have a PC, tablets, smartphones, and every current console and handheld out there. Even if I had only a fraction of those things, I would still have massive libraries of creative and original games available to me. Just because some games get sequels every year doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of other games including lots of smaller, creative games available on the most popular platforms. The Ouya is a product that lacks a real market. Even many of the developers who launched games on it have pretty quickly moved to release their stuff on PCs and other platforms. There is nothing creative or original about the Ouya and the idea that it is an open platform was destroyed the second they built their own store that works identically to the ones Apple and Google already operate. If Ouya was really looking to shake things up, they could have made it a truly open platform and allowed every developer and publisher to sell games directly without resorting to a store where they would take their cut.

Not trying to be rude here man, so please, don't take it that way, but it seems to me that your problem isn't the commercial itself, it's that you have an issue with Ouya in general. Which in itself, is fine and all that, but yeah, like it or not, they are going to advertise the thing one way or the other. Does it really make sense for Ouya to come out with a commercial that states "Hey, we have a lame store front and are just like Apple and Google, so please buy our machine because we have nothing original to bring to the table."? Nope, not at all, so they took the slinging mud approach. It is what it is man. I don't think that the advertisement was aimed at you, or really, anyone else personally other than the developers that make the same game over and over again. After going back and rereading my post and the above posts, I re-stand by the original claim, you just might be taking this whole thing too seriously (NOT saying to get your feelings checked, this that I just said is what I meant to say in the first place). It's just a commercial, nothing more. Like one of the above, it's no different than the Uranus ads that Sony ran in the 90's about Sega, or the Atari Jaguar commercials slamming the 3DO. Or even a bit back further, the Sega Anti Nintendo ads or the Turbografx Anti Nintendo AND Sega Genesis Ads. Even Game.com had those ads where they were ripping on the Gameboy, it's just part of the business. Might not be the most fair part, but it is what it is.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Commercial is dumb. I find many ads dumb. Either way your talking about the Ouya. Sounds like the ad did what it was suppose to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

If we're looking to compare similar advertising campaigns, I would think that the Game Gear commercial portraying Game Boy players as mindless hicks getting excited watching a bug zapper would be considered worse than the Ouya commercial.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I wasn't offended by it, it's not great but still decent.

OCP Corporate Liason Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RAGNAR0K N ROLL
    PSN
    ROBOCOP2

Johnny Turbo will come by and take care of it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    If you have trouble figuring out the meaning of "Multiplayer", "Time Trial" or "Campaign" without the manual, I probably don't want you doing my income taxes for me and I don't want you dating my daughter either.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop2 View Post
    Johnny Turbo will come by and take care of it all.
    Those FEKA goons won't know what hit 'em!
    Last edited by Flashback2012; 08-25-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

This is the first that I heard of this new console, so I went to the OUYA homepage and the first thing I see is "A NEW KIND OF GAME CONSOLE" with a picture of the controller underneath. The controller looks just like a XBOX360 controller with wider grips.
    I then clicked on the games link to see what the games look like, and they all look like downloadable games available on the playstation, xbox and nintendo online stores. Some games they have are currently available on the psn. Many if not all games on the psn network are free to try as well. I really dont see anything new about this console. Paying 99$ to have access to an online store that only offers cheap downloadable games seems like a waste of money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I "got" the video. I wasn't offended since it was a caricature of a stereotype that's been played out over the past decade or so. Very reminiscent of Ren & Stimpy (as I can't think of a more modern animation comparison).

Thing is, this commercial doesn't do much to sell the system or games to the audience they are pushing this towards, New consumers need to be SHOWN why they should buy an Ouya.

As for the openness: you can still hack it software and physical wise. They just have their marketplace and why should they be scorned for it? Google is essentially a competitor so why should they let them in on their turf? You can side load apps if you want to. If you want something more open, get a Raspberry Pi or multi-boot a PC with different OS's. Going to the illogical extreme: it'd be like raising a stink that you won't be able to load PSN on your Xbone as the hardware is similar.

Give the cube a year to prove itself before you (generalization-not singling out..[disclaimer]) kick its door down and piss on its corn flakes while squatting over its bagel.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I "got" the video. I wasn't offended since it was a caricature of a stereotype that's been played out over the past decade or so. Very reminiscent of Ren & Stimpy (as I can't think of a more modern animation comparison).

Thing is, this commercial doesn't do much to sell the system or games to the audience they are pushing this towards, New consumers need to be SHOWN why they should buy an Ouya.

As for the openness: you can still hack it software and physical wise. They just have their marketplace and why should they be scorned for it? Google is essentially a competitor so why should they let them in on their turf? You can side load apps if you want to. If you want something more open, get a Raspberry Pi or multi-boot a PC with different OS's. Going to the illogical extreme: it'd be like raising a stink that you won't be able to load PSN on your Xbone as the hardware is similar.

Give the cube a year to prove itself before you (generalization-not singling out..[disclaimer]) kick its door down and piss on its corn flakes while squatting over its bagel.
    As someone who backed the Kickstarter, I disagree with you about the openness. Their whole argument about why Ouya was different was based on an open console where developers could release games freely and many games would be free to play. That hasn't been the case at all. Developers still have to release through their store and I believe there is no option for someone to release a game for free through the store. If they're trying to compete with Google or Apple, they are never going to win, especially if the rumors of an Amazon or Google console are accurate. This is simply a product that doesn't have a real target market and while it sounded good in concept to many of us at the Kickstarter stage, in practicality, there are much better solutions to playing indie games on your TV that don't involve using fairly unexceptional hardware and a proprietary store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe there is no option for someone to release a game for free through the store.
    You are wrong because there are several free games that have been released through the store. Not free to try, but free to own, so yes, there must be an option to release games for free through the store. Furthermore, as an "Original Kickstarter Backer", I would think that you already know this. The list below are all the games that are free to own, no payment of any kind for them at all. No Paywalls and no DLC charges either, completely free and NONE of them are emulators, which most of those are free too. So quit spreading untruthful crap dude and get over it. Ouya may not be your cup of tea and all, but plenty of indie developers have released completely free games through the Ouya store, and the proof is right in front of your face. Go rant about something else man because what you just said got blown back in your face. It's like watching one of those annoying Youtbe videos where the person just blows smo0ke because he doesn't know what he's talking about. That's exactly what you are doing. You like Google and Amazon, cool, good for you, I'm happy for you and hope that you have fun with it, but yeah Ouya does have a way to present free games to the community through the store, and a kickstarter backer would know this.

Free Games On Ouya, not including the emulators:
    4th and Goal Football
    Abbigale and the Monster
    A Bit of a Fist of Awesome
    Acid Trip
    Air Pressure
    Amazing Frog
    American Dream
    AmpGear
    Antichromatic
    Astronaut Rescue
    Autopilot
    Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronnt uonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk (Yes, that's the title)
    Badass VS Hipster
    Barley Break
    Bastinnade
    Bionauts Online
    Blue Board
    BoomBoom
    Bridge
    Bubblr - Dummy in Trouble
    Bullet Time
    Bullfist
    Chomper Deluxe
    ChronoBlade Demo
    Climbing Chaos
    Clock
    Counter Action
    Critter Rollers
    Curves
    Dark Space Rings
    Deadly Dungeons
    Diversion
    Don't Look Back
    Dungeon Bandits
    Enyo
    Flipriders
    Forsaken Planet
    Fourkaraoke For Ouya
    Game Catcher
    Garnatron
    Gauroden
    Gem Crazy
    Gun's N' Glory WW2
    Helicopter-Escape the Cave
    Hero's Adventure
    Highway Rally
    Just Rain
    King of Booze
    Memrrtiks, Saushem
    Monocle man
    No Brakes Valet
    N.O.T.T.U.B.
    Oiche Mhaith
    One Tap Hero
    Peaces in KaIsland
    PiX Bros.
    PiX Frogger
    PiX Pang
    Questria: Rise of the Robot Skull Faces
    Ripolles Nightmare
    Sci-Fighters
    Sky Arena
    Spaceroads
    Spanish Gold
    Stupid Zombies 2
    Super Crate Box
    Super Robot Space Fight!
    Survival
    SVEN
    Vector
    Vector 360 Breakout
    Wilsons Adventure

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T2KFreeker View Post
    You are wrong because there are several free games that have been released through the store. Not free to try, but free to own, so yes, there must be an option to release games for free through the store. Furthermore, as an "Original Kickstarter Backer", I would think that you already know this. The list below are all the games that are free to own, no payment of any kind for them at all. No Paywalls and no DLC charges either, completely free and NONE of them are emulators, which most of those are free too. So quit spreading untruthful crap dude and get over it. Ouya may not be your cup of tea and all, but plenty of indie developers have released completely free games through the Ouya store, and the proof is right in front of your face. Go rant about something else man because what you just said got blown back in your face. It's like watching one of those annoying Youtbe videos where the person just blows smo0ke because he doesn't know what he's talking about. That's exactly what you are doing. You like Google and Amazon, cool, good for you, I'm happy for you and hope that you have fun with it, but yeah Ouya does have a way to present free games to the community through the store, and a kickstarter backer would know this.

Free Games On Ouya, not including the emulators:
    4th and Goal Football
    Abbigale and the Monster
    A Bit of a Fist of Awesome
    Acid Trip
    Air Pressure
    Amazing Frog
    American Dream
    AmpGear
    Antichromatic
    Astronaut Rescue
    Autopilot
    Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronnt uonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk (Yes, that's the title)
    Badass VS Hipster
    Barley Break
    Bastinnade
    Bionauts Online
    Blue Board
    BoomBoom
    Bridge
    Bubblr - Dummy in Trouble
    Bullet Time
    Bullfist
    Chomper Deluxe
    ChronoBlade Demo
    Climbing Chaos
    Clock
    Counter Action
    Critter Rollers
    Curves
    Dark Space Rings
    Deadly Dungeons
    Diversion
    Don't Look Back
    Dungeon Bandits
    Enyo
    Flipriders
    Forsaken Planet
    Fourkaraoke For Ouya
    Game Catcher
    Garnatron
    Gauroden
    Gem Crazy
    Gun's N' Glory WW2
    Helicopter-Escape the Cave
    Hero's Adventure
    Highway Rally
    Just Rain
    King of Booze
    Memrrtiks, Saushem
    Monocle man
    No Brakes Valet
    N.O.T.T.U.B.
    Oiche Mhaith
    One Tap Hero
    Peaces in KaIsland
    PiX Bros.
    PiX Frogger
    PiX Pang
    Questria: Rise of the Robot Skull Faces
    Ripolles Nightmare
    Sci-Fighters
    Sky Arena
    Spaceroads
    Spanish Gold
    Stupid Zombies 2
    Super Crate Box
    Super Robot Space Fight!
    Survival
    SVEN
    Vector
    Vector 360 Breakout
    Wilsons Adventure
    You've got me there. I was not aware of the fact that apparently developers can now release games completely free through the Ouya store. According to the FAQ and an e-mail in response to an inquiry I sent to Ouya before launch, the only two options were to charge for the game or release it free and charge for in-app purchases. I suppose it's my fault for not being more aware of the changes in Ouya over time. So, I stand corrected.

Having said that, there is no way to even access the Ouya store without either entering a credit card number or buying an Ouya card from a retailer. Not exactly an open platform IMHO.
    Last edited by Bojay1997; 08-26-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

If they're trying to compete with Google or Apple, they are never going to win, especially if the rumors of an Amazon or Google console are accurate.
    I've said this before in another thread... Just because Google might come out with a competing product of their own doesn't mean it will flourish. Google has many product failures under their belt. Google +, Google Video, & the Nexus Q are just to name a few.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    I've said this before in another thread... Just because Google might come out with a competing product of their own doesn't mean it will flourish. Google has many product failures under their belt. Google +, Google Video, & the Nexus Q are just to name a few.
    Of course not, but it also doesn't mean that a flawed product like the Ouya will either and well-funded competition certainly won't help things for them. Google definitely doesn't have a flawless record, but if the Chromecast is any indication, I think they finally are starting to really understand consumer products on a whole new level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Of course not, but it also doesn't mean that a flawed product like the Ouya will either and well-funded competition certainly won't help things for them. Google definitely doesn't have a flawless record, but if the Chromecast is any indication, I think they finally are starting to really understand consumer products on a whole new level.
    That may be true, which is why I completely avoided even mentioning the Ouya in my comment. However, keep in mind, Ouya is an extremely young company and is bound to make mistakes here and there.

BTW, I'm still not sold on the Chromecast. Until I can stream all media formats, without limitations, it's worthless to me. My Tivo already does youtube and Netflix, but I still need something that will stream the other various formats. I know you can get around it with various apps, but I don't want to take the chance of Google blocking them then have a $35 paper weight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Unless it's direct comparison of features, I've always disliked ads that mock the competition. It makes me think that they're hiding something, like they know that their product isn't good enough so they have to jab at their competitor.
    I agree with that. Sega's disgusting smear and lie campaign advertising against Nintendo back in the earlier 16bit era infuriated me enough I didn't play the thing for years even with it in the house (brother) and only bothered with Sega anything in the late 90s. It wasn't some pro-Nintendo thing though, sure it helped, but I've been that way with anyone who puts out scummy lie ads to slander another company or product to sell their own shit because I just see it as immature lies to cover up the failings of your own inferior garbage by using distraction and misdirection. I've done it with clothes, foods, and so on.

Griking said it well too, put the feelings in check and see what it is -- a stab at the full price rehash-o-rama in gaming we get of re-skinned me-too same garbage shoveled every year and getting tired of it. That's what the ad is even if it is done in a cheeseball crude way. If someone isn't sick of that type of gaming environment of course they'll get even more offended for having their precious Call of Duty/MOH/Halo/(insert rehash FPS) mocked for what it is.

The thing is, the ad is very effective. If it wasn't this topic and others like it elsewhere wouldn't exist either agreeing about it or bitching about it. An ad isn't as much meant to entertain but to cause awareness, and we're aware. Beyond that Ouya like it or hate it is delivering on what they said they would having free demos or outright free games for every title there, plus is also works as a superior form of what Roku and AppleTV currently do delivering all that streaming media format stuff they others do at the same price. But beyond that you get all the gaming goodies and you can since it's fairly open dump your own junk on there and use it as you like so it's not closed off like a big name console system. That's why I think it will last because it gives more choice even if it isn't the beefiest piece of hardware out there. They've taken a stab at the Roku market with this and its wannabes and does it better, so if you're needing a device even for that, this would be the logical choice since they all go for $99 and this does more.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluid_matrix View Post
    That may be true, which is why I completely avoided even mentioning the Ouya in my comment. However, keep in mind, Ouya is an extremely young company and is bound to make mistakes here and there.

BTW, I'm still not sold on the Chromecast. Until I can stream all media formats, without limitations, it's worthless to me. My Tivo already does youtube and Netflix, but I still need something that will stream the other various formats. I know you can get around it with various apps, but I don't want to take the chance of Google blocking them then have a $35 paper weight.
    I don't know, using the stream from Chrome feature has worked for just about everything I've wanted to do including regular Hulu, HBO Go and lots of other providers that supposedly aren't supported yet. While Google could start closing those loopholes under pressure from media providers, I'm just as certain that someone will immediately develop a hack to open it back up again.