Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shenmue III - For Real This Time (Was "Yu Suzuki, a Forklift, & E3 - What Does It Mean?")

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Question Shenmue III - For Real This Time (Was "Yu Suzuki, a Forklift, & E3 - What Does It Mean?")

On June 7th, Yu Suzuki was in Japan. By the night of June 11th, he was in Las Vegas, Nevada. On June 14th, he posted a photo of a forklift located in Los Angeles at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, E3, to his personal Twitter account.

But what does it all mean? Does this have to do with a promise he made in 2014 about having a big surprise/announcement for Shenmue fans in 2015? Or is this all merely hopeful wishing on behalf of the denizens of the Internet who long for a sequel or a re-release of their favorite game series? Time will tell, and that time will be sometime this week during the spectacle which is E3. If anything is announced, I expect it to be announced at either the Microsoft booth/event, or in all likelihood given recent developments, SONY's booth/event. Only a few more days to find out...

Will it be Shenmue HD? Shenmue III? A Shenmue film? A no-frills Shenmue re-release on PSN, XBLA, etc.? A non-Shenmue project by Yu Suzuki? I can hardly wait to find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Something something, something, snow ball, something, something, something, hell...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Here's what it means.

Shenmue III has been Kickstarted for PS4 and PC.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

Praise the Mirror.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im going to be pretty upset if this doesn't come to XBOX. Since it's a kickstarter hopefully its a stretch goal, but I wouldn't be shocked if Sony paid handsomely to make sure that doesnt happen.

Edit: They are charging $30 for a digitial version, and there is no PS4 physical.......this reeks of indy game and not full game experience.
    Last edited by CDiablo; 06-15-2015 at 09:18 PM.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If they want my attention, I need a huge arcade right around the corner from where you start, that's stocked with many Sega classics that are all set to free play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    Im going to be pretty upset if this doesn't come to XBOX. Since it's a kickstarter hopefully its a stretch goal, but I wouldn't be shocked if Sony paid handsomely to make sure that doesnt happen.
    While I wouldn't put it past Sony to have done that, what exactly is the point to having a kickstarter if someone already paid you a ton of money to make the game exclusive to their platform? They should have just said it's a Playstation 4 exclusive at the show. It may end up getting stretch goals for XBO and Vita or even a Wii U but they still won't be getting my hard earned money. I've never understood the appeal of Shenmue...or forklifts.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post

Edit: They are charging $30 for a digitial version, and there is no PS4 physical.......this reeks of indy game and not full game experience.
    As much as I loved Shenmue and REALLY want to see this happen I must agree. Especially considering the first stretch goal is 4 million for the second zone which is ridiculous and the other 2 zones have ? and I can only assume they equal at least 10+ million combined which is pretty ludicrous. So I seriously doubt there will be an additional stretch goal at all, though there better be something else if they want my support. I'm regretfully going to sit this one out for the time being.
    Last edited by BHvrd; 06-15-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It has already gotten to 1.1 million. It's probably going to reach all of its stretch goals.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm interested, but unless the game gets a retail release on PS4, not funding it. I'll just wait until it's less than $10 and then purchase it digitally. I could get the physical version of the PC as I have a system that's powerful enough to play it I'm sure, because I'm rarely inclined to actually play them. Own hundreds, play less than a couple dozen.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I'm interested, but unless the game gets a retail release on PS4, not funding it. I'll just wait until it's less than $10 and then purchase it digitally. I could get the physical version of the PC as I have a system that's powerful enough to play it I'm sure, because I'm rarely inclined to actually play them. Own hundreds, play less than a couple dozen.

This is shenmue 3. I've waited 15 years for this day....you're going to fund this game and you're going to like it!
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Hhheeeeeeeeelllllllllll yyeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

This is exactly what I've been saying should have been happening for years: a KS-funded Shenmue 3. I'm glad Suzuki-san fought through the gauntlet which is negotiating in the Japanese business world to make this happen. It's a drawn out process where you must convince everyone you are their trusty friend and drinking buddy for the wheels of progress to even begin to move. All his sacrificing making who-cares mobile titles these last many years just to keep an expensive, dinky apartment in Tokyo for him to operate out of while negotiating to get this project rolling will all be worth it if the game gets funded. It's already at $1,625,048 the last time I looked - that $2M goal is in plain sight.

I really wish I had some spare money to contribute to this cause. Alas, it is all tied up in trying to found the inaugural G.A.M. Convention this year, and there's no time to spare to build up a Shenmue III fund in the meanwhile. But those pledge rewards are s-o-o-o-o good looking. I really wish I could pledge for the $300 or $500 ones. And that Shenhua capsule toy is extremely cute! Ugh, if only I could buy one for 100 yen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah, I don't care what platforms it's coming to eventually. They're putting it on PC and PS4 initially, which gives you two options as is. I would opt for a PC digital purchase over the PS4, as it's more likely that Steam will be supported longer than PS4 games on PSN.

...but there are physical copies available as reward tiers for the PC as it is. A lot of people want to see PS4 physical copies added.

Overjoyed to see this happening and love the fan reaction.
    Last edited by sfchakan; 06-16-2015 at 02:59 AM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

I say there will be Physical Copies (Wait, isn't the acronym for that PC too? Tee hee hee!) for the consoles announced. Right now it is only palpable copies for Windows as it is much cheaper to make those than corporeal copies for consoles due to all the licensing and business overhead involved in the console world which isn't present in PC-land. But eventually before the end of its crowd-funding period, Mighty No. 9 made physical copies available for Windows, Mac, & Linux when it originally planned for only incorporeal copies, and this year that project announced tangible copies for multiple platforms. And Double Fine eventually partnered with a German publisher to have Broken Age released as a mass-market physical release around the world when originally there was going to be an embodied release only for KS and slacker backers. So I imagine that later on we will see PS4 physical copies of Shenmue III offered as a KS reward.

As for the other consoles? This wouldn't be the first time that SONY paid for a project to be a "console exclusive" of theirs - see Grim Fandango Remastered. But the question is how far the exclusivity goes. Is it a timed exclusive of a few months of lead time before eventually being released for the other consoles? We'll have to wait and see. But given that Shenmue III was only shown at SONY's E3 presentation, I expect the company did pay for limited exclusivity. But if SONY didn't pay for that and enough cash is raised through crowd-funding, I don't doubt we'll see other platforms as stretch goals or offered as new reward tiers. If nothing else, we might see ports to other consoles after the Windows and PS4 releases are finished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Why was a kickstarter at Sony's show? That makes no sense.

If it's a worthy game, Sony can fund it fully.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Why was a kickstarter at Sony's show? That makes no sense. If it's a worthy game, Sony can fund it fully.
    Because in the future in which we live, "classic gaming" business models are dead in favor of unfinished, 1000 patches pending, DLC-laden, IAP-addled business models which aim to basically charge double for a game by charging once for the bulk and once again when you add up the costs of all of the DLC for a product which, when released to the world in a so-called "gold master" state, is in fact in what used to be considered an early internal beta state.

So when you want to release a game in the mold of a "classic gaming" business model, SONY takes one look at the super successful Kickstarter projects, licks its lips, and thinks to itself, "Why pay for development when the crazy fanatics will? Let's skip manufacturing and distributing physical copies which imbue people with first sale rights, go digital only to drive our distribution costs down to near-zero, and skip development costs by externalizing that factor to the most die-hard fans out there. Then we can just toss out an advertising campaign for the thing, have that as our only business cost, and reap all of the profits we can!" The company then turns to the hopeful game developer and offers a cash incentive to him if he can raise enough capital through a crowd-funding campaign in exchange for a time-limited window of console exclusivity.

But in lighter news, the $2M goal was reached by 5 A.M. Mountain Time this morning! It is sitting at $2,089,084 total as of this writing.

By the way, that means that Shenmue III set the world record for the fastest time a gaming-based Kickstarter project reached $1,000,000 in crowd-funding.

And for anyone saying that $2M for this game's development is too expensive, or that $10M for the "full Shenmue III experience" is too expensive, keep in mind that Shenmue I cost $47 million to make. Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3..._Shenmue_3.php

I think it is really cool that one of the $10,000 rewards for this project was the original, real-world Ryo Hazuki brown leather jacket worn by his Japanese voice actor to promotional events. That one got snatched up quickly.

By the way, sfchakan, what was that about a snow ball?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The goal was already made. Hopefully it will double or triple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I dont get about the "testing the waters" theory is that at $30 the game needs to sell roughly 67,000 copies(digitally) to meet the $2 million goal. 67,000 is roughly %3 of the PS4 userbase, on top of that you have anyone who owns a PC. There is no way that this game was not going to be funded. 67,000 is peanuts in the videogame industry.

After looking at the S3 FAQ they have explicitly said that "Other platforms are not decided yet" under the question will you release on X1/WiiU/Mac/Linux. That being in the kickstarter leads me to believe Sony is likely paying for timed console exclusivity, which makes me feel better(I prefer X1), or they probably wouldn't even mention X1 or WiiU in the kickstarter. I'm still really upset that there is no physical release. Im not a big digital guy. I am not a big game collector that needs an ultra special edition........but I would probably pay upwards of $150 for for an ultimate collectors physical edition with resin Ryo statue or some garbage I dont need. The PC physical edition(probably a steam code and install disk) isn't going to cut it unless it requires no internet connection.

There is a good amount of discussion online about this being the future of a good chunk of gaming. Sell your game before it's made to a fanbase, then deliver whatever you feel like/can in the end. If the backers don't like the finished product, screw em', you already have their money. It's a slippery slope.
    Last edited by CDiablo; 06-16-2015 at 09:30 AM.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*