Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prediction: The Xbox won't age well as a console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default Prediction: The Xbox won't age well as a console.

In my mind, the Xbox will be the least fondly remembered of consoles, at least within the past two generations. Between peoples' animosity towards the relative size of the console and the lack of memorable exclusive titles (Halo excepted), I think the Xbox won't hold a place in many gamers' hearts the way the Gamecube and PS2 will.

Thoughts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    In my mind, the Xbox will be the least fondly remembered of consoles, at least within the past two generations. Between peoples' animosity towards the relative size of the console and the lack of memorable exclusive titles (Halo excepted), I think the Xbox won't hold a place in many gamers' hearts the way the Gamecube and PS2 will.

Thoughts?
    Strongly disagree. The system generally had the best versions of multiplatform titles (with only a small number of exceptions), plenty of excellent exclusives (Crimson Skies? Forza? Rallisport Challenge 2? Ghost Recon 2? Oddworld Stranger's Wrath? Ninja Gaiden Black? Unreal Championship 2? Chronicles of Riddick?!?! ...well ok, there was a PC port of that) and some nice niche titles that keep the hardcore gamer demographic nice and happy (Gunvalkyrie, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Metal Wolf Chaos, Breakdown).

People will always shit on the mammoth size of it (...and the PS3) along with the duke controllers, but I think it'll come out looking pretty good overall a few years down the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

No way, the original will always be remembered as the system that launched MS as a gaming company not just one that makes operating systems and office apps.

I think the gamecube is the one that will be least well aged and the PS2 as being the one everyone remembers 20 years from now. Kinda like the Atari 2600 is to many of us.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thoughts?
    Not with ya on this one. I think I have more games on this system than any other. It's weird, but I never got into the PS2... and only bought a GC 7 or so months ago. I still play it more than any other system I have, and will get many more hours of use out of it. I just wish MS still supported it (like Sony with the PS2) because I'm not ready to upgrade to a 360.

And I agree with s1lence... I'd put my money on the GC as being the odd one out.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

yeah, sorry, i think youre completely off base on this.

the box had the best visuals of the bunch, best miltiplayer (even if it is defunct online now) and many many absolutely amazing game.

not to mention that it is easily modable without even lifting a screwdriver and can play all your cartridge games.

i have 2-3x more games on the box than on the ps2 or gc. (however it is changing now that im looking at acquiring some ps2 rpgs).

oh yeah, KotR/Ninja Gaiden

/thread

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great system with a ton of great games. I think it will be remembered however goodluck finding one that will work. I see them almost everyday at my store with a dead hard drives.
    If you are ever in St louis stop by my store Trade-N-Games. I have a huge selection of vintage games along with the new systems. Or shop online now www.tradengames.com
    Jason

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have about 75 titles on the original XBOX and that is after slimming my collection down. I think it will age fine, my 4 year old son is having a blast with it.

I am worried about the 360 more than the original xbox. I say that because the 360 seems to break. A lot of "experts" expect all of the 360s to have problems because of their design. In ten years, when microsoft stops repairing the 360s, how are you gonna play the games? I thought the wide-spread reports of 360s breaking was hype, but when my 360 died this weekend, I was shocked. I have only 150 hours on that system. I have never had a system break like the 360. It just stop one day for no reason. I never play for longer than a few hours at a time.

I am currently looking at the PS3 closer. The blueray victory and the fact that 360s break so much, it's making me re-think my situation. I know alot of people are waiting for MS to get the "bugs" out of the 360, I wish I would have waited.
    Last edited by MachineGex; 03-18-2008 at 08:21 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post

I am currently looking at the PS3 closer. The blueray victory and the fact that 360s break so much, it's making me re-think my situation. I know alot of people are waiting for MS to get the "bugs" out of the 360, I wish I would have waited.
    I completely agree. We need a Blu-ray player, and it looks like we'll be buying a PS3 before a 360. Although I had an optical drive (the samsung) go out on my original xbox, making it my first ever console to take a shit. So I had to drop another 179 to buy a 2nd one. I think microsoft has been in the software business so long, they have no idea how to making a fucking console that doesn't break. Kudos to Nintendo and Sony for getting hardware manufacturing right... something that gamers have always taken for granted.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jade Empire you robot bastard

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thoughts?
    Strongly disagree. The Xbox ranks as my most played system of the last generation and frankly, it was such a good system that I still play games on it and sometimes can't tell the difference between it's games and some of the stuff I own for the 360. It had good controllers and fast loading times, as well as the power to do first person shooters as well as a good mid-range PC. I only wish Microsoft hadn't been so quick to pull the plug.

I believe someone could very easily do a line of $10 or even $20 budget titles (stuff that either didn't get released but was finished or Japan only stuff that was fully in English) on a standalone cardboard display at Target, Best Buy, Walmart and Costco and you could sell 5,000 - 10,000 or more copies of each title even today. Unfortunately, I had a group of investors and a former Xbox developer ready to move on just such a venture, but Microsoft has basically taken the position that they will use the Xbox originals outlet as the only source for original Xbox games and they have no interest whatsoever in supporting the original Xbox at all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) KeyserSoze61's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's easily my favorite console from last gen -- the built in HD, strong specs, excellent controller all add up to a better experience. I've been picking up games left and right for dirt cheap, as this is the time to get the games. Most places are clearancing out these games, and the library is pretty solid.

When you add in the strong Live experience, I will quite fondly remember the original Xbox.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too will disagree with this one. Of the current/last gen consoles I would think the Dreamcast or PS3 will be the least fondly remembered. Not that these consoles don't have merit or great games, but their history will be remembered as a whole. Dreamcast being the console that killed Sega, coupled with their rapid exit from the market, will in the long term leave the masses either ignorant of the console or indifferent to its existence.

The PS3 is a different subject as the history isn't written on the system yet, but I think that its early struggles coupled with the general animosity towards Sony will leave the PS3 as a second tier console. Again, history always favors the winner, and their is still plenty of time for Sony to pull it together.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know something? I agree completely. I don't care about which has better graphics, I don't really get into a lot of FPS's, and that controller was an oversized piece of shit.

I think the PS2 was probably the best system last generation, but lately I've been playing quite a few Gamecube games.
    My feedback
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99982
    Looking to sell Valkyrie Profile for the Playstation. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i really enjoy my ps2, but the original xbox is awesome. like a previous poster said, most of the multiplatform releases were generally better at least graphically on the original xbox. although i do like the controller better on the ps2 and some of the ps2 games seem to have better gameplay especially on some of the sports titles. however, the xbox is a great system. i think i own around 45 games or so for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I liked the exterior design of the console, and the Controller S was my favorite from the last generation (Minus the d-pad). And it had a ton of great exclusives beyond the Halo series, such as Project Gotham Racing 2.

I think it will be fondly remembered and I know it will be by me. Although it was a very close race, it was my favorite console of the last generation ahead of the Dreamcast, Playstation 2, and GameCube.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 11-22-2014 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I have about 75 titles on the original XBOX and that is after slimming my collection down.
    I did the same. Here is why the xbox WILL BE REMEMBERED

1. Launch of MS into the console market
    2. hundreds of games in the library, many still very playable
    3. Many games look great on a HD(not many consoles can say that)
    4. Many system link games that support 16 player offline play
    5. Can be modded very easily and can be transformed into the ultimate reto box!

Just a few. Sorry bro, the Xbox will be remembered. It wasnt supported like the PS2, but it was a good system and it has its followers
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

For the comment about the 360's being hard to repair in 10 years, I disagree. Many people, including some on this site, have figured out how to fix them.

I view it like the nes with the blinking screens or the PS1's that have the lasers go out. People will find a way to fix them. Now, the DRM could pose to be a problem though to Xbox Live Arcade fans.

Back on topic, the Xbox 1 had the second largest library of the last generation, and one that was larger then some of the generation before that. It had the in most cases the better looking ports and the ability to emulate games on it was an added bonus.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

I have to agree with op on this. I personally thought the xbox graphics were meh (always seemed washed out compared to Gamecube and PS2). The both controller models left something to be desired. When it comes to games there really wasnt much out of the exclusives that left that ever lasting impressions.

Xbox may sit well with other people but i can do without for the most part but neuro did bring up a good point, Jade Empire is the shit. Thats probably the only memorable game out of the few that i played through that had thoroughly impressed me and i have been wanting to play it again.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Disagree.

To me the GC will be the least fondly remembered. Of the last generation I have the most games on the Xbox. The majority of my ps2 and GC collections are games that are exclusive to those systems. I think out of the three last gen systems the XBox was the most influential to the current gen.

- Hard Drives / Internal Memory
    - Pushed console online gameplay and created a standard to it.
    - Downloadable content
    - User custom soundtracks

I think MS really thought forward with the Xbox where the PS2 was more of an update to the PSX and Nintendo pretty much seemed to hate anything that was progressive. My only problem with the Xbx and how it ended was that, at best it probably hit half of it's potential. I think they could have went another 2 years with it but business wise it didn't make sense for them to continue to produce that system and for that system when the 360 came out. The way I look at last gen is like this. The GC was for the Nintendo games and that's pretty much it. The PS2 had a lot of quirky games and a lot of support from third parties but a lot of games that became big on that system ported over to Xbox but not all blockbusters (Capcom games), but the Xbox was the everyday / hardcore gamer console. They had the shooters (90% of the library) but they also had games like Gun Valkrye, Panzer Dragoon Orta, KORTR, and stuff like Silent Scope 3 and Steel Batallion.