Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adventure Game From Makers of Earthworm Jim and Neverhood

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Adventure Game From Makers of Earthworm Jim and Neverhood

Doug TenNapel (creator of Earthworm Jim) is working with Pencil Test Studios in an effort to create a new game called "Amrikrog." It is an adventure game that uses claymation and is a spiritual successor to "Neverhood." I just came across this recently and it looks interesting.

It's on Kickstarter right now with 3 days to go.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Unfortunately, I can't and won't support a project conceived by someone who spews hate and bigoted views on a regular basis.

http://gameological.com/2013/06/foc-tennapel-armikrog/

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bet the monster is trying to eat people who keep gay marriage illegal, so you have to go and avenge your fallen GOP buddies. T is obviously for Teabagger, and not the good kind.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Yeah, it sucks that TenNapel's political/social views are so extreme, because there's not any overt evidence of them in his games, which are typically creative, fun and funny.

Skullmonkeys is one of my all time favorite platformers.

There's no better opportunity to vote with your wallet. If you're offended by Mr. TenNapel's views you can actively avoid donating to this effort with the hopes that failure to meet goals will prevent the project from getting off the ground.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its fascinating how this will probably one of the first high profile, nostalgia fueled, Kickstarter projects to fail. And its failure to can be fully attributed to one man, and his hateful beliefs. You reap what you sow I guess.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Yeah, it sucks that TenNapel's political/social views are so extreme, because there's not any overt evidence of them in his games, which are typically creative, fun and funny.
    I am of two minds about this.

One part of me says "I disagree with your view of the world, therefore I don't like you much."

The other says "there's nothing to do with those views in the games that I've played. If he's not trying to preach, why prevent myself from getting an enjoyable game which has nothing to do with those views I'm not keen on." The same part of me says that even though I don't agree with his views, he is perfectly entitled to have them, I'll just think he's an idiot and ignore him. It's got nothing to do with the game.

Of course, nothing says "I disagree" like not buying the product on the basis that he is involved. But if you start doing that where do you stop? He's more high profile than, say, the heads of Asda (or Wal-Mart), but I'm sure if you looked close enough you'd find something to dislike with someone up there.

EDIT: Perhaps scientology is a better example. I think it is dangerous and exploitative to those at the lower levels. Would I ever not go and see a Tom Cruise or John Travolta etc etc film just because they are proponents of Scientology? No.
    Last edited by Daltone; 06-24-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post

One part of me says "I disagree with your view of the world, therefore I don't like you much."

The other says "there's nothing to do with those views in the games that I've played. If he's not trying to preach, why prevent myself from getting an enjoyable game which has nothing to do with those views I'm not keen on." The same part of me says that even though I don't agree with his views, he is perfectly entitled to have them, I'll just think he's an idiot and ignore him. It's got nothing to do with the game.

Of course, nothing says "I disagree" like not buying the product on the basis that he is involved. But if you start doing that where do you stop? He's more high profile than, say, the heads of Asda (or Wal-Mart), but I'm sure if you looked close enough you'd find something to dislike with someone up there.
    For me he crossed the line with his repeated and unapologetic and very public rants on some high profile websites about a variety of topics including gay marriage, the role of women, etc...I have no problem with someone having different views than myself on issues, but when that person goes out of their way to not only express those views, but do so in a really offensive and outrageous manner repeatedly, I have to draw a personal line.

As for the claims about having nothing to do with the game, I would encourage you to read the commentary I linked to earlier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    For me he crossed the line with his repeated and unapologetic and very public rants on some high profile websites about a variety of topics including gay marriage, the role of women, etc...I have no problem with someone having different views than myself on issues, but when that person goes out of their way to not only express those views, but do so in a really offensive and outrageous manner repeatedly, I have to draw a personal line.

As for the claims about having nothing to do with the game, I would encourage you to read the commentary I linked to earlier.
    I missed that, I'll have a look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys may not be familar with TenNapel's body of work if you're saying something like "there's nothing to do with those views in the games that I've played." because over the last decade or so, the guy has released a comic graphic novel nearly every year. And as the years have gone on his comic work has become more and more a soapbox for his world views. Culminating into a book called RATFIST. Which might as well be called 'The Guide to Doug TenNapel's Worldview'. I have absolutely no faith that he can separate his work from his beliefs at this point. Which is really my problem with him.

And even going all the way back to The Neverhood, its present in his video game work. The Neverhood's story is christian allegory to the most obvious. And though its all wrapped up in its own mythology, it doesn't stray far from the tenets of Christianity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    You guys may not be familar with TenNapel's body of work if you're saying something like "there's nothing to do with those views in the games that I've played." because over the last decade or so, the guy has released a comic graphic novel nearly every year. And as the years have gone on his comic work has become more and more a soapbox for his world views. Culminating into a book called RATFIST. Which might as well be called 'The Guide to Doug TenNapel's Worldview'. I have absolutely no faith that he can separate his work from his beliefs at this point. Which is really my problem with him.

And even going all the way back to The Neverhood, its present in his video game work. The Neverhood's story is christian allegory to the most obvious. And though its all wrapped up in its own mythology, it doesn't stray far from the tenets of Christianity.
    While I'm wholly unfamiliar with his work outside of games, I didn't get a sense of a Christian allegory from The Neverhood games, at least not one that I felt was overt (and I'm never actively looking for things like that).

Then again, I'm sure plenty of people read the Narnia books without any great understanding of what's below the surface.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

http://gameological.com/2013/06/foc-tennapel-armikrog/

"Though TenNapel makes a living as an artist, he’s known by many for his inflammatory public statements concerning lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender issues."
    I find it ironic that earthworms are hermaphrodites.

So what I've read so far is.. it isn't so much his personal beliefs that are the primary offense, it's his delivery of said beliefs in a very rude and disrespectful way. As a huge EWJ fan that makes me sad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I'm wholly unfamiliar with his work outside of games, I didn't get a sense of a Christian allegory from The Neverhood games, at least not one that I felt was overt (and I'm never actively looking for things like that).
    Really. That's really weird, because the entire game is about creation myth. Like... at its core. Hoborg is god, Klogg is Adam/Eve, Hoborg's crown is the forbidden fruit, and Klayman is the Chirstlike savior of the world.'

Its very blatant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    I find it ironic that earthworms are hermaphrodites.

So what I've read so far is.. it isn't so much his personal beliefs that are the primary offense, it's his delivery of said beliefs in a very rude and disrespectful way. As a huge EWJ fan that makes me sad.
    Similarly, I can't go back and watch Firefly, a series that I really enjoyed and that holds up to re-watching after seeing Adam Baldwin's abrasive, caustic and persistent right-wing rhetoric on the web during the last presidential election.

He literally ruined the show for me because I can't look at him, even him acting as a character - and not see somebody whose political views I sharply disagree with - views that I would have been more than capable of ignoring if he didn't make such a point of publicizing them at every opportunity.

Fuck that guy for ruining a great show for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
    Really. That's really weird, because the entire game is about creation myth. Like... at its core. Hoborg is god, Klogg is Adam/Eve, Hoborg's crown is the forbidden fruit, and Klayman is the Chirstlike savior of the world.'

Its very blatant.
    I'm not saying it's not true, only that I was completely oblivious to it as it was happening.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Well there are far more full on liberal "agenda" titles, movies and I'd figure video games, to have been produced than conservative. In comics for sure, you don't get any more liberal than the great Stan Lee's work.

As for Adam Baldwin, I watched the Firefly 10 year anniversary special, and he was far and away the most complementary of the fans. Per his views, he was Animal Mother so I suppose he didn't veer that far off course for that role!

It doesn't bother me that much, I still love Jon Voight's work, and he's a right wing nut practically. But he and Baldwin do far more charity work for wounded veterans, for instance, than 3/4 of Hollywood.

I'm sure Doug isn't the sole creative voice on the project.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Well there are far more full on liberal "agenda" titles, movies and I'd figure video games, to have been produced than conservative. In comics for sure, you don't get any more liberal than the great Stan Lee's work.

As for Adam Baldwin, I watched the Firefly 10 year anniversary special, and he was far and away the most complementary of the fans. Per his views, he was Animal Mother so I suppose he didn't veer that far off course for that role!

It doesn't bother me that much, I still love Jon Voight's work, and he's a right wing nut practically. But he and Baldwin do far more charity work for wounded veterans, for instance, than 3/4 of Hollywood.

I'm sure Doug isn't the sole creative voice on the project.
    He's not the sole member of the team, but he is the one who created the characters and wrote the story and will be the overall creative director. As such, he is the major creative voice on the project.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I guess it depends on how you look at him. Just compare him to America's most loved biggot and you'll think he's funny. I doubt anyone takes what he says seriously except other nuts like himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Gasshu-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post

EDIT: Perhaps scientology is a better example. I think it is dangerous and exploitative to those at the lower levels. Would I ever not go and see a Tom Cruise or John Travolta etc etc film just because they are proponents of Scientology? No.
    Agree 100%.
    Last edited by Kyle15; 06-28-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    In Heaven, everything is fine.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Well there are far more full on liberal "agenda" titles, movies and I'd figure video games, to have been produced than conservative.
    Once I picked up a free music magazine. Then I started reading it and it was a Christian Music one, in the back was a column series called "The Christian and Art" where the author was pleading with his devout buddies to STOP MAKING HORRIBLE MUSIC! He went on about how Christian just never make good art work/music and him trying to figure that out. I agree, just like with C S Lewis after he became a Christian, they just lose that devil in them thats the creative force. SO yeah, people who are more creative tend to be 9 times out of 10 more liberal or at least anti-conformist/christian/religious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not saying it's not true, only that I was completely oblivious to it as it was happening.
    The borrowed structure was there, but I don't recall it being preachy (it has been some years though). I had no idea about this ratfist business.