Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Complete RPG List for the PS2 - Updated 2017

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I made changes to the listings. I removed the 'Game Developers' section with links, number of games and titles. This list was just terribly long.

I replaced it with a smaller but more interesting list of "Multi-Platform Games." To list the exclusive PS2 titles would have been too long. 114 games of the entire library, that means 80%, are PS2 exclusives, an amazing number.

Here is the list of multi-platform games. If you notice mistakes please let us know. Note that PC releases and releases for handheld systems are not considered.

3. Miscellaneous

A. Multi-Platform Titles*

01) Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance (GameCube, Xbox)
    02) Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance II (Xbox)
    03) Bard’s Tale, The (Xbox)
    04) Baroque (Wii)
    05) Digimon World 4 (GameCube, Xbox)
    06) Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Xbox)
    07) Future Tactics: The Uprising (GameCube, Xbox)
    08) Gladius (GameCube, Xbox)
    09) Grandia II (Dreamcast)
    10) Justice League Heroes (Xbox)
    11) Lord of the Rings, The: The Third Age (GameCube, Xbox)
    12) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360)
    13) Mega Man X: Command Mission (GameCube)
    14) Phantasy Star Universe (Xbox 360)
    15) Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus (Xbox 360 Download)
    16) Summoner (GameCube)
    17) Summoner 2 (GameCube as "Summoner: A Goddess Reborn")
    18) Virtua Quest (GameCube)
    19) X-Men Legends (GameCube, Xbox)
    20) X-Men Legends II: Rise of the Apocalypse (GameCube, Xbox)

*Consoles only
    Last edited by lendelin; 12-12-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So i guess Sega Genesis Collection for the PsP doesn't count?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcks007 View Post
    So i guess Sega Genesis Collection for the PsP doesn't count?
    Final Fantasy XI Online (360) too.

Also Disgaea (PSP, NDS)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bcks007 and esquire, as I noted no handheld releases. Also MMO RPGs and the borderline cases are not considered, only games in the main list.

With Disgaea and the Genesis collection I struggled, but stuck with the no handheld games rule because for others I had to list them which are really different kind of beasts.

So...releases for handhelds and the PC are excluded.

Surprising for me was (because I didn't know better) that Virtua Quest is also on the GameCube, and that Baldur's Gate II was not released for the GameCube.

Also noteworthy is that the two X-Men Legends games for the Xbox run in true 720p and look fantastic (clarity) on an HDTV. I played them on the Xbox, didn't even cross my mind to play them on the PS2.
    Last edited by lendelin; 12-13-2008 at 02:50 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I revised the Multiple Titles list. I could see how the MMO RPGs and the borderline cases should be included. The releases for PC and handheld systems are not considered. So, no Puzzle Quest for the DS and PSP, Monster Hunter Freedom for the PSP, Sega Genesis Collection for the PSP, or Marvel Ultimate Alliance for the PSP and GBA.

If the MMO RPGs and borderline games are included, the PS2 exclusives are 83% of the entire game library.

Here is the revised list.

3. Miscellaneous

A. Multi-Platform Titles*

01) Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance (GameCube, Xbox)
    02) Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance II (Xbox)
    03) Bard’s Tale, The (Xbox)
    04) Baroque (Wii)
    05) Digimon World 4 (GameCube, Xbox)
    06) Dokapon Kingdom (Wii)
    07) Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (Xbox)
    08) Final Fantasy XI (Xbox 360)
    09) Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia (Xbox 360)
    10) Final Fantasy XI: Treasures of Aht Urhgan (Xbox 360)
    11) Final Fantasy XI: Vana’diel Collection 2008 (Xbox 360)
    12) Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (Xbox 360)
    13) Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone (Xbox)
    14) Future Tactics: The Uprising (GameCube, Xbox)
    15) Gladius (GameCube, Xbox)
    16) Grandia II (Dreamcast)
    17) Justice League Heroes (Xbox)
    18) Lord of the Rings, The: The Third Age (GameCube, Xbox)
    19) Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox, Xbox 360)
    20) Mega Man X: Command Mission (GameCube)
    21) Phantasy Star Universe (Xbox 360)
    22) Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus (Download Xbox 360)
    23) Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (Wii, Download PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360)
    24) Summoner (GameCube)
    25) Summoner 2 (GameCube as "Summoner: A Goddess Reborn")
    26) Virtua Quest (GameCube)
    27) Warriors of Might and Magic (PlayStation)
    28) X-Men Legends (GameCube, Xbox)
    29) X-Men Legends II: Rise of the Apocalypse (GameCube, Xbox)

*MMO RPGs and borderline cases included; consoles only
    Last edited by lendelin; 12-15-2008 at 04:44 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Culdcept.* Omiya Soft, NEC Interchannel, 11/25/03.
    Dokapon Kingdom.* Sting, Atlus, 10/14/08.
    Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords.* Vicious Cycle, D3 Publisher, 11/13/07.

I added these three titles to the borderline category. They were proposed and we struggled to put them in there. But to be inclusionary I think it's safe to regard them as borderline.

The titles are board game/puzzle/RPG hybrids. Dokapon Kingdom and Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords convinced me to put them in the list, and then of course Culdcept had to follow.

If you know other games of the board game/puzzle/RPG hybrid kind that should be included, let us know.

Turn-based battle systems, levelling up, experience points and use of magic, borrowed weak elements from strategy/tactical RPGs combined with board game and puzzle game elements, plus the always elusive RPG-feel of important parts of the game justify their inclusion, I think.
    Last edited by lendelin; 12-14-2008 at 02:18 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think atlus has plans for Persona 4 having a 2nd cover, here is why.
    If you check for the PDSS number, it is PDSS-030927 on the artwork. If you check the back of the dvd, it is PDSS-030925.
    There is no reason a different PDSS number unless you have another cd artwork planed, or another release planed. Of course, it could always be canceled, or never come out. But based on the PDSS numbers not matching up, like 99.9% of all ps2 games do, then something is planed at the very least. I'm guessing they wanted a way to distinguish the bonus disc version from a none bonus disc version that might be coming out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcks007 View Post
    I think atlus has plans for Persona 4 having a 2nd cover, here is why.
    If you check for the PDSS number, it is PDSS-030927 on the artwork. If you check the back of the dvd, it is PDSS-030925.
    There is no reason a different PDSS number unless you have another cd artwork planed, or another release planed. Of course, it could always be canceled, or never come out. But based on the PDSS numbers not matching up, like 99.9% of all ps2 games do, then something is planed at the very least. I'm guessing they wanted a way to distinguish the bonus disc version from a none bonus disc version that might be coming out.
    A release of Persona 4 without the CD is a possibility for sure. Interesting observation, I never paid attention to the PDSS numbers.

In all likelihood the new Kingdom Hearts will be sold w/o the cards, too (if not already). Nothing on the covers referring to the cards, just the sticker on the shrinkwrap.

...and...I really hope you're wrong with another Persona 4 edition.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the top of the OP I added links to bragging rights threads with pics of completed RPG collections. The only two that came to mind was Daria's PS1 thread and mine for the PS2.

I just love to look at genre collections. It gives incentives to go after the games, awakens the old evergreen idea of "I should have this one, too," and brings back fond gaming memories. In particular RPGs (like 2D- platformers) seem to age very well.

If you know other threads with pics of RPG collections let us know.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zone of the Enders
    Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner

Don't know if these were suggested already. A search of the thread didn't turn up anything, but you never know.

Z.O.E. is an awesome mecha action/RPG produced by the one and only Hideo Kojima. Though it has an experience system, the games tend to be more action than RPG with skill and strategy known in. The graphics, by far, are the most stunning and impressive I've seen from Konami on the PS2. Make me wonder how much better the Suikoden could have been if Kojima was in charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

My Genesis collection is done as well.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82306

Although that topic should be updated with recent pictures.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    Zone of the Enders
    Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner

Don't know if these were suggested already. A search of the thread didn't turn up anything, but you never know.

Z.O.E. is an awesome mecha action/RPG produced by the one and only Hideo Kojima. Though it has an experience system, the games tend to be more action than RPG with skill and strategy known in. The graphics, by far, are the most stunning and impressive I've seen from Konami on the PS2. Make me wonder how much better the Suikoden could have been if Kojima was in charge.
    I loved the Zone of the Enders games, fantastic (!) games and underappreciated, one of the best game experiences I had on the PS2, with spot-on controls. However, to add them to a RPG list?? As you pointed out, weak RPG elements are thrown in to flavor the game, and it is clearly on the action side. I wouldn't regard them even borderline cases.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    My Genesis collection is done as well.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82306

Although that topic should be updated with recent pictures.
    Added. Great! Great to look at. The only games I have are Crusader of Centy, Sword of Vermillion, and Landstalker. I have way more shmups than RPGs for the Genesis.

I think jupitersj for the PS2 and RPG Fanatic for the PS1 should have soon also complete RPG collections...if not already. I hope you guys will post pics.
    Last edited by lendelin; 12-15-2008 at 10:06 PM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    I loved the Zone of the Enders games, fantastic (!) games and underappreciated, one of the best game experiences I had on the PS2, with spot-on controls. However, to add them to a RPG list?? As you pointed out, weak RPG elements are thrown in to flavor the game, and it is clearly on the action side. I wouldn't regard them even borderline cases.
    To me if you got an experience system, then you're a RPG. To each his own, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    To me if you got an experience system, then you're a RPG. To each his own, I guess.
    Well, in lack of a good RPG definition it is indeed in the end 'to each his own,' or better: over 90% of the games in the main list (excluding borderline cases) are undisputed, the rest is up to everyone to include or exclude titles.

I didn't mean to be rude. But an experience system alone is not enough to make a RPG, otherwise you'd end up easily with around 100 more PS2 games in the RPG list. Even some sports games.

I think we can agree that a RPG should have some kind of statistics which define and describe certain attributes or skills of game characters, and that there should be some kind of method to influence these statistics. But beyond that? Or even these gameplay elements might be not necessary? Turned based battle systems or not? No matter how we define a RPG, you'll always end up with cases you exclude and actually intend to include and vice versa.

In the era of hybrid games (based on old genre categorizations) it is sometimes a matter of an elusive feeling which games should be regarded as RPGs.

One thing is for sure: not every game with an experience system is a RPG.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

RPGamer posted an interview where NIS states that X-Edge, Sakura Wars and Mana Khemia II are due to be released in 09.

http://www.rpgamer.com/features/2008/nisainterview.html

X-Edge just seems to have NIS America all over it. It features characters from Disgaea, Mana Khemia, Ar tonelico, Spectral Souls, and the Atelier series. I mean, come on, there are even Prinnies. When should we expect to see it in North America?

NISA: X-Edge is an interesting project since it's a collaboration between 3 different companies. It's pretty funny to see a little Prinny fight characters from Darkstalkers like Morrigan and Demitri.

The release date isn't finalized yet, but it's going to be in March 09.
    A little birdie told us that someone was finally getting brave enough to localize a game in the Sakura Wars series, mainly the fifth game in the main series for the PS2. Would that be NIS America, and what can you tell us about the game?

NISA: Haha, your birdie knows too much. Let's just say the game is in the works by an undisclosed company. I've heard somewhere that the game should come out in '09.
    So, just curious. Since the PS2 refuses to die, should we expect Mana Khemia 2 to make it over here as well?

NISA: We haven't made any formal announcements, but yes please expect to see Mana Khemia 2. The game is definitely an improvement over the original, so please look forward to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Am I the only one really excited for Mana Khemia II?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Am I the only one really excited for Mana Khemia II?
    Nope, you're not the only one, that's really good news. Terriffic that Mana Khemia will be released, and that traditional RPGs and startegy RPGs will still find their way to the PS2 in 2009. I was hoping that after Ar tonelico 2 the sequel to Mana Khemia will end up in the US as well.

I'll update the list of upcoming releases later. I'm home in Germany visiting Family until mid-January, and the struggle with a German Keyboard where the letters are a bit differently arranged is as nerve-wrecking as the last big dragon fight in Dragon Quest VIII.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

My bad. X-Edge is a PS3 game. Still.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This topic needs a life saving bump.

Ar tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica did indeed make street date.

For some goods deals on amazon on a few rpgs.
    Metal Saga $9.97
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Puzzle Quest: Challenge Of The Warlords $9.97
    http://www.amazon.com/Puzzle-Quest-C...2882294&sr=1-1

You back home yet Klaus?