Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Lessee....he got a LOT of requests apparently to review this "game". So why not? The fans asked and they received, even if some of you disagree with his choice.
    Sometimes, giving the client exactly what they ask for isn't always the best idea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    Sometimes, giving the client exactly what they ask for isn't always the best idea.
    Not the best idea for who, exactly? I may not have the best eye for such things as you, nor be as worldly, but what's wrong with the chestnut he shared? In your grand wisdom, how did he be at fault for putting together such a production, which is what you seem to be insinuating with the whole "not the best idea".

It's a show, for entertainment. All anyobe lost was time. Some of you make it sound like AVGN made a bad career choice in making this particular video.

Enjoy it, don't enjoy it, move on or stay tuned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I'm guessing Rolfe knocked this one out as a fan request while he makes a more involved full episode in the meantime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not the best idea for who, exactly? I may not have the best eye for such things as you, nor be as worldly, but what's wrong with the chestnut he shared? In your grand wisdom, how did he be at fault for putting together such a production, which is what you seem to be insinuating with the whole "not the best idea".

It's a show, for entertainment. All anyobe lost was time. Some of you make it sound like AVGN made a bad career choice in making this particular video.

Enjoy it, don't enjoy it, move on or stay tuned.
    To a certain extent, though, he has a point. The final version of Frozen is extremely different from the film the animators actually wanted to do because the executives demanded that they overhaul it and change everything, even going so far as to replace the director. The animators responded by giving the executives exactly the movie they wanted and look how crappy it is. By contrast, those same executives completely ignored Tangled and just let the animators do their thing and it's arguably the best Disney film of the last ten years. There's a lesson in that.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    To a certain extent, though, he has a point. The final version of Frozen is extremely different from the film the animators actually wanted to do because the executives demanded that they overhaul it and change everything, even going so far as to replace the director. The animators responded by giving the executives exactly the movie they wanted and look how crappy it is. By contrast, those same executives completely ignored Tangled and just let the animators do their thing and it's arguably the best Disney film of the last ten years. There's a lesson in that.
    Yet "crappy" Frozen is one of the highest grossing animated films of all times, and Tangled did sort of ok-ish.
    There's a lesson in that too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The lesson, presumably, being that executives know what will sell. Fair enough, but just because something sells that doesn't automatically make it good and just because something fails that doesn't automatically mean it's bad. I understand that Disney needed a moneymaker after the spectacular and very expensive failure of John Carter (which really should have done better given it was an impressive entry in a generally profitable genre), but that's no excuse for bad storytelling. To paraphrase Shigeru Miyamoto, "A delayed film is eventually good, but a bad film is bad forever".
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by retroguy View Post
    Buuut.....how does this relate to the AVGN episode in question? Not even the same ballpark. The animators, who were charged and paid to make the film, wanted to do one thing, the executives that control the money wanted something else. AVGN got requests from subscribers/fans to look at this game, he did it, released it free of charge with no strings by his viewer base of his content. Done.

I'm going on the reactions here on DP over this which makes me scratch my head as to why these reactions are so pointedly negative. It's a web show- doesn't need the analysis, debate and counterpoint on his choice of game content like you get on some Fox news show.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm going on the reactions here on DP over this which makes me scratch my head as to why these reactions are so pointedly negative.
    Cause it's DP. We tend to harp on the negative around here more than other forums.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3cewR_sMYI

Darkwiiing Duck! (Let's get serious)
    A Tg16 episode

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

I liked this episode. The quickie reviews at the beginning were funny because of how bored he was trying to act, and the main event made me laugh in a couple of spots. The safe dropping on him while he waited to make the platform jump was great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I liked this episode. The quickie reviews at the beginning were funny because of how bored he was trying to act, and the main event made me laugh in a couple of spots. The safe dropping on him while he waited to make the platform jump was great.
    TurboGrafx-16 really is the higher energy video game system!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Omg seaman!

It finally happened, he checks out the weird game SEAMAN for DREAMCAST lol

http://cinemassacre.com/2015/07/28/a...for-dreamcast/
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mixed on Seaman episode. I don't think it came out that well overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

I thought it was pretty good. There were several parts that made me laugh a lot. It may not be one of his all-time best, but compared to some other recent ones, I think it was fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the most boring episodes. At this point I just hope for an average one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    One of the most boring episodes. At this point I just hope for an average one.
    I could probably understand where you're coming from, but what episodes are you comparing it to? In terms of recent episodes, I thought 'Hong Kong 97' was a clunker, but 'Darkwing Duck' was entertaining, and as I said earlier, this one wasn't half-bad. If you're comparing it to 'Sega CD' or 'Milon's Secret Castle', then I can understand that this one isn't as good as those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I could probably understand where you're coming from, but what episodes are you comparing it to? In terms of recent episodes, I thought 'Hong Kong 97' was a clunker, but 'Darkwing Duck' was entertaining, and as I said earlier, this one wasn't half-bad. If you're comparing it to 'Sega CD' or 'Milon's Secret Castle', then I can understand that this one isn't as good as those.
    At this point I don't compare it to his heyday. I'm just comparing it to his recent, if you want to call it that. He had a 7 day Christmas thing last year. That was alright. The other recent episodes had some parts of it which was somewhat entertaining although I didn't like it. But this one was just flat. Especially the ending. But if his fans eat it up, which most of them do by reading the comments then ok.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Wincing at "Sega CD" being called a "good" episode. That was the first that revealed his Nintendo fanboy bias (well, besides the revisionist history known as "Wii Salute") and mostly just parroted the same myths that have haunted the Sega CD for generations.

Mind you, the 32X episode was pretty good.

But for me AVGN was good when it felt like it was actually about the games and not the player.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I tend to gauge how good or bad an episode is based on my enjoyment of it.
    And my enjoyment based on how much it entertained me for the 20 or so minutes it takes to eat my lunch.
    On those criteria, I've found most AVGN episodes good.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Death by seaman. Such a terrible way to go