Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ebay and paypal verifications

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default ebay and paypal verifications

Ok, I have my Paypal account originally set to only allowing verified user to pay me. For one of my auctions that just ended and a previous one, I've had the auction winners complaining that they couldn't pay since they weren't verified (previous one before this didn't pay within the 7 days, filed an Unpaid Item claim, then I got an email from her saying how she couldn't pay because she wasn't verified, etc. She paid, I sent it out and now she told me "I never got this much aggravation using ebay in the years I've used it". Then she ignored my email about leaving feedback since she did get the item.

So I was nice enough to change it to asking me to accept the payments, and I still getting people complaining (though I've started putting "only accepting verified paypal account users" line in my auctions.

If this guy with my current auction that he won complains again (or just doesn'y pay) I'm really considering using the Second Chance offer...
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're asking buyers to be verified? Why? Being verified is important for sellers but not for customers/
    Customers having a confrimed address is what you should be worried about as a seller.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

That's what I meant, I make sure my auctions have listed I only allow verified paypal buyers when I'm selling.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do the same myself. I refuse to ship to an unconfirmed PayPal address.

I'm sorry to the people with unconfirmed addresses but a sellers got to protect themsef.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I'm sorry to the people with unconfirmed addresses but a sellers got to protect themsef.
    What does a buyer have to do to confirm an address? Just type in a credit card number, correct?

Doesn't seem that difficult.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by veronica_marsfan View Post
    What does a buyer have to do to confirm an address? Just type in a credit card number, correct?

Doesn't seem that difficult.
    It depends. Sometimes, a credit card is enough, but I had to input my bank account number to become verified.

I've dealt with several buyers who say they don't trust Paypal, and refuse to get their addresses verified. I tell them to pay via BidPay, and they say they don't want to use their credit card to pay! What the hell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    It depends. Sometimes, a credit card is enough, but I had to input my bank account number to become verified.

I've dealt with several buyers who say they don't trust Paypal, and refuse to get their addresses verified. I tell them to pay via BidPay, and they say they don't want to use their credit card to pay! What the hell!
    Yup, I had to enter my bank account to become verified as well. As a rule, I will not ship to unverified addresses since I have been ripped off twice doing that. Stolen credit cards. And, if you do ship to unverified address and a chargeback occurs, you are screwed. Take a look at paypal's fine print.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've dealt with several buyers who say they don't trust Paypal, and refuse to get their addresses verified.
    In that case why should *I* trust them enough to ship my item?

Q:

What is the danger of shipping to an uncomfirmed address? As long as you have DC, or Signature Confirmation for high-priced items, won't paypal protect the seller?

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

In that case why should *I* trust them enough to ship my item?

Q:

What is the danger of shipping to an uncomfirmed address? As long as you have DC, or Signature Confirmation for high-priced items, won't paypal protect the seller?
    No, they won't. Buyer can take your item, keep their money, and you have NO RECOURSE with Paypal as a seller.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    No, they won't. Buyer can take your item, keep their money, and you have NO RECOURSE with Paypal as a seller.
    Yes, this is 100% correct. You MUST ship to confirmed/verified addresses only if you want proper paypal protection.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So even if I ship to the address listed, and have DC to prove it was delivered to that address, Paypal will refund the money to the buyer???

That makes no logical sense.

Provide links where paypal says this.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

So even if I ship to the address listed, and have DC to prove it was delivered to that address, Paypal will refund the money to the buyer???

I can't remember the links, but it's there and I am living testimony to this policy. I even had the digital signature from UPS plus all the email and ebay correspondence and they still got my $900!! Paypal made it perfectly clear to me that I would have been covered had I shipped to a verified address. Believe it or not, I don't care, but it's the truth. I cancelled my ebay account after that and only use my paypal account for these forums.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I'll also add that the buyer could do a chargeback months after the actual sell. So, you could theoretically sell something like a game system and the buyer come back months later and claim it never arrived or was broken, etc..., and you will get screwed if it was sent to unverified address. Paypal told me all this over the phone, not sure if it's even on the website.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...ide#spp-policy
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Agreed, especially since the seller is the one that pays PayPal in the first place. Kind of makes you a little paranoid to sell on eBay, no? At least without a confirmed address disclaimer. eBay (not PayPal) even has a specific 'paid from an unconfirmed address' reason in their unpaid item dispute menu.

It is pretty clear that this is designed to get more people to upgrade their accounts (so they cost money to use), get a paypal credit card, or something like that... I haven't actually looked through all the options.

I've got to wonder if I'm covered on something I sent out yesterday: the person was confirmed with an address the post office doesn't recognize (eg. newyork city instead of New York City). Of course, you can't print a shipping label online (and get the discount) for an unrecognized address. So, I put a space in the town name so I could print the postage/label. PayPal then informs me that you must ship to the address on file to be covered. Grrr

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

I've got to wonder if I'm covered on something I sent out yesterday: the person was confirmed with an address the post office doesn't recognize (eg. newyork city instead of New York City). Of course, you can't print a shipping label online (and get the discount) for an unrecognized address. So, I put a space in the town name so I could print the postage/label. PayPal then informs me that you must ship to the address on file to be covered. Grrr
    Also, paypal will tell you that you must keep proof that you sent the item by keeping the receipt of the paypal transaction buying the shipping label. So, you must buy and print a label online using paypal to stay under buyer protection. I had no idea all of this was required =[

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geneshifter View Post
    So, you must buy and print a label online using paypal to stay under buyer protection.
    Not true. A DC receipt from the USPS is sufficient (as I discovered last year).

Guess I need to change my settings to "confirmed addresses only".
    Would I need to add that to my auctions?
    "Only bid if you have a confirmed address."?
    Last edited by veronica_marsfan; 05-22-2007 at 08:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Agreed, especially since the seller is the one that pays PayPal in the first place. Kind of makes you a little paranoid to sell on eBay, no? At least without a confirmed address disclaimer. eBay (not PayPal) even has a specific 'paid from an unconfirmed address' reason in their unpaid item dispute menu.

It is pretty clear that this is designed to get more people to upgrade their accounts (so they cost money to use), get a paypal credit card, or something like that... I haven't actually looked through all the options.

Simple. Send the package from a post office. It costs more, but you're covered since they base their shipping policies on the zip code. Just print out the address as it is and slap it on the box, add delivery confirmation with -the exact address-, and you're covered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Simple. Send the package from a post office. It costs more, but you're covered since they base their shipping policies on the zip code. Just print out the address as it is and slap it on the box, add delivery confirmation with -the exact address-, and you're covered.
    Well, yeah, I could do that, and I have before for higher dollar things, but what a pain. Guess I'm spoiled with the online shipping labels, but it seems any time I actually have to talk to someone at the PO it takes 10x longer than it should. Not the clerk's fault either, instead it seems there are always lots of what I call 'special needs' people at the PO (you know, the kind of person at a restaurant that orders a meal and then asks for substitutions on everything but the lettuce... but if you happen to have romaine instead of iceburg, that'd be great, too).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Guess I need to change my settings to "confirmed addresses only".
    Would I need to add that to my auctions?
    "Only bid if you have a confirmed address."?
    You don't have to add that, but it will save you some (not all) headaches. At least you have something to point to when you get one of those people that just don't get it. And I make sure to point out that I also accept MOs and they require nothing special (other than time to clear, since they technically are the same as a personal check).