Thread: Advice Needed for New TV for Astrocade and Atari

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Advice Needed for New TV for Astrocade and Atari

I want to buy a small TV to replace one that was stolen several years ago (actually, this will be bought FOR me, as a Father's Day gift). I currently have a 13" generic TV with composite and RF that I use for my classic systems, but I'd like a few other feature too. The features that I want are:

1) Small Size - 13"-17"

2) RF - For Astrocade and Atari systems

3) Composite - For newer systems

4) S-Video - For better quality for some of the newer systems and use with the Atari XE and C64 when using the right cable. This is the feature that I want the most. It's really the whole reason I want a new TV.

5) Front and Rear Jacks

I've been shopping online and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for (not even CLOSE). I thought that I'd be able to find an inexpensive tube-TV (in the $200 range), but it looks like these are hardly even made anymore. Can anyone recommend a quality TV for me that I can buy new? I guess I'm going to have to go with an LCD TV, but I can't find one that seems to suit my needs (most are too big). Does anyone have experience in this area? Is there a specific model that anyone uses and LOVES?

Adam

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go get yourself a Commodore 1702 and a VCR for RF-to-Composite conversion. It's a great cheap monitor (I've heard) and should sell for well under your $200 price limit. I think Joe has some at the DP store, so he would be able to vouch for it.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Commodore monotors don't have front inputs, though, and having to use a VCR (which is otherwise worthless these days) for RF sucks.

I had a TV from Sony that met all of your criteria and had a very nice picture to boot. I can't tell you the model number since I just picked it up at a thrift store and then later gave it away when I got a better TV (also from a thrift store).

Picking up a used CRT TV for a good deal should be a snap these days, so that would be my recommendation if you're not finding anything new. Check craigslist.

...word is bondage...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post

Picking up a used CRT TV for a good deal should be a snap these days, so that would be my recommendation if you're not finding anything new. Check craigslist.

...word is bondage...
    Yes to this. I picked up a 14" flat CRT Toshiba with front AV, rear AV, S-Video and Component (!) for $40 a few months ago as a classic gaming monitor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Lostdwarf

Default tv

about a month ago i had your exact same idea but here's what i did. I went onto craigslist and posted a post saying i need a tv 13"-19" preferebly from the 80's that I am only using it for old video game systems, i don't want to pay for it and will pick it up. Low and behold about 2 days later a woman from Montclair emailed me saying she had a 19" tv she was looking to get rid of. So i went and picked it up. Very vintage with turn knobs yes turn knobs, uhf/vhf settings. I love it for the simple fact thats what the older games were meant for =)

mike

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Battlehork View Post
    Yes to this. I picked up a 14" flat CRT Toshiba with front AV, rear AV, S-Video and Component (!) for $40 a few months ago as a classic gaming monitor.
    14" with component? Sweet 480i glory in the best forum(except RGB, but let's be reasonable)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by CartCollector View Post
    Go get yourself a Commodore 1702 and a VCR for RF-to-Composite conversion. It's a great cheap monitor (I've heard) and should sell for well under your $200 price limit. I think Joe has some at the DP store, so he would be able to vouch for it.
    I vouch.

In our first year or so, all of our events we used 2 or 3 1702's as our display option (check NAVA photos for proof). Then someone donated a nice big 21" Sony display that's a sort-of "box" for lack of a better description, apparently this was used at trade shows and has inputs for just about every type of connection. About a year ago I bought two 27" HDTV's for tournaments and NAVA meetings. But you know what? Those Commodore 1702's take up so little space and have such a great picture that they're used on our main islend for testing and displays quite a bit even to this day. And of course I have one in our window display. They seem to never die and they certainly never disappoint.

/vouch