Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RYGAR for the NES

Cherry (Level 1) TheRetroVideoGameAddict's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RYGAR for the NES

I've recently sat down to play this game for the first time in quite a long time and I have to say, I'm not in the least bit impressed by it and I felt it was a frustrating experience rife with things that I hated most about games of this era. Everything from the graphics to the quality of gameplay suffered and the music, while okay, got annoying after a short while, and need I say anything about the game's difficulty? Bleh! http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogs...eviews_24.html is the review I posted on it if you're interested in my full thoughts, but yeah......not a fan.

Opinions on this game are welcome. What is your experience with Rygar on the NES and do you enjoy it or dislike it such as I do? Let's discuss Rygar!
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!
    *UPDATED* on 11/4/13 The Retro Video Game Addict reviews: Tekken 2 for the PS1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

To be honest, I've never played it. However, I've watched many YouTube video of gameplay and I have to say that I'm just not interested. I have no desire to play it.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

First experience with Rygar was via emulators in the late 1990s, and later I bought an actual cartridge at a pawn shop.

Used to be a favorite. Now? Well.. its a nostalgic piece, after a fashion, but it does have some gaping huge design flaws, such as items that are too finicky and hard to use. That said, it's got that sense of adventure, it's got plenty of action and its got a great soundtrack. I say the pluses outweigh the minuses.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Im not a fan of Rygar. The game itself is kinda boring and the music is weak.
    Ive played through most of the game a few times and I agree its pretty mediocre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up Rygar at the Flea Market because it's an iconic NES game I wanted for my NES collection. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea, though I could see it having a certain appeal to some gamers, and I could also see myself playing it at a later date. Personally, I kinda like the music in the game.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The music is fine but gets really dull fast. The gameplay is very frustrating and takes way too long to get anywhere.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

main flaw with Rygar, no password or save feature.

I always loved the music though.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

*shrugs* It's not the best NES game, but I like it enough. I definitely prefer it over the stupidly cheap arcade game. Oh, and I think the music is quite good myself.

I think it's important to keep in mind that Rygar is a 1987 NES game, so it's right on that turning point where NES games went from being relatively small, straightforward, and arcade-y, to being more sophisticated, expansive, and modern, and there was a period of growing pains in between. Look at the first Castlevania and Mega Man games, those are '87 releases too, and compare them to the later releases in their respective series. They too lack the conveniences and sophistication we came to except later on, like, namely, passwords or saving. Rygar fits within its era, and while you could dismiss all releases from that time, I'd rather just immerse myself in the mentality of what was expected and acceptable back then and roll with it.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I prefer the arcade version (and the LYNX port) but I don't have any big problems with the NES game other than it has to be completed in one play-through.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rygar was one of the first games I ever beat on the NES, and for that it has massive nostalgic value for me. I tried playing through it a few years ago, however, and didn't enjoy it. I just don't have the time anymore to sit down and play a game from start to finish in one session. I gave up on trying to play the cart and emulated it and I found the game much more enjoyable in small chunks, saving periodically, allowing me to scratch that nostalgic itch and beat the game again. With that said, I haven't touched the game in over 3 years since beating it again.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You are the "official retro videogame addict"? As opposed to the "unofficial retro videogame addict"?

Sorry, there already is a retro videogame fanatic. Try and be original when you're trying to be "official". Your reviews suck and your self-promotion is puke-worthy. Your attempts at being "official" is worthless, try reviewing some more obscure games or some topic that hasn't been talked about ad-nauseum.

Rygar is a great NES game for it's time, better and more in-depth than the simplistic arcade game. Just like their Ninja Gaiden games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

strangely this is one of the games I remember from my childhood. I never owned it but my best friend did, I hated it back then and I'm sure I'd hate it now.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I loved this game as a kid and vividly remember spending ALL DAY trying to beat it while I was home from school with the chicken pox.

In my opinion the lack of a password or save feature was remedied by the unlimited continues and the ability to restart practically right where you died. And once you shut down, and then started over the next day, you could often get to where you left off in half the time. Once you've played through it a few times, and learn where to go, it gets WAY easier. You can also level up easily on those giant snail things in the tower (the name escapes me) which makes the rest of the game a breeze.

Yeah, the items are a bit finicky to use and the "hints" are cryptic at best, but the game has a solid challenge, some neat (for 1987) 3-D effects, and some memorable tunes.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To be fair on this, Tecmo's other popular franchise, Ninja Gaiden, never had its arcade gameplay translated to the home ports, either... and each home version is different (NES, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, PC Engine, etc.).

~Ben

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So this dude is whining/complaining/crying because the game is too hard? STFU and go play with your Xbox you numbnuts. Clearly NES games are too much for your weak ass.

thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*EDITED for civility, sorry if I offended anyone*
    Last edited by TheRetroVideoGameAddict; 08-06-2013 at 06:36 PM.
    On Twitter @OfficialRVGA -- My YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialRVGA
    http://theretrovideogameaddict.blogspot.com <----- The **Official** blog of The Retro Video Game Addict!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In my circle of friends and at school, Rygar was universally enjoyed. It was considered one of the better games at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I still remember when Rygar released on NES. I had played it many times at the arcade and so it was a must have for the home. I remember beating the game way back when, but haven't picked it up in many years either. As has been said, the lack of save-states or passwords is a big downer, and it always struck me as odd that Tecmo changed the game so much between the arcade and NES versions.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRetroVideoGameAddict View Post
    Haha, so says the loser. Go ahead and read the slew of commenters who have praised the blog, just read the comments buddy and then cry to your parents when you're done. I chose my name without knowing someone had a similar name, big whoop. I like it as does the 400k strong who visit my blog on the daily, so take that to bed with you tonight.

Some people just love to complain...
    Get over yourself, young fella. Your lame "official" blog doesn't impress anyone here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Get over yourself, young fella. Your lame "official" blog doesn't impress anyone here.
    Nor is it meant to. But still, its got a following. Get over YOUR self.

Now back to Rygar discussion....
    Last edited by TheRetroVideoGameAddict; 07-24-2013 at 08:57 PM.