Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Games that you grew to appreciate.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gran Turismo.... I remember having a demo for it and hated cause I couldn't control the cars now it's my favorite racing game!

Ancient Scribe Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I can't really list one game specifically, but I can include an entire genre. For it's RPGs. As a kid I never cared for them. However, as those elements have crept into other genres I've grown to appreciate them and now I have quite a few on my wishlist.
    RPGs of the Final Fantasy type I could never get into until fairly recently. I don't mean necessarily the kind where you wander around with your group and then when you encounter hostiles the fighting is turn-based, I actually loved Curse of the Azure Bonds and would probably have loved Pool of Radiance as well. What I didn't like specifically was how the characters and enemies were fixed (immobile) during the entire battle. In other words, you couldn't run around behind the enemy, or fan your characters out, or flee, etc. I disliked this because it detracted from the realism. I preferred the games like Curse of the Azure Bonds, or like Legend of Zelda (where you just had one character & weren't stuck in one place during a battle except when you encountered the big bosses, when there was usually a realistic reason given for why you had to stay and fight, such as being locked in a room with the monster, etc). I remember I would rent a game sometimes without really reading the description carefully, thinking it would be similar to Zelda or CotAB in gameplay, only to be disappointed when it turned out to have a fighting system similar to Final Fantasy.

This all changed, however, when Lord of the Rings: The Third Age came out. I fell in love with that game and didn't mind that it used a similar battle system (although it did bug me that you couldn't employ all of your party at the same time... I mean, where are the other characters when they aren't fighting? Hanging out behind you having a smoke?)

Anyway, to make a long story short (too late!) because of that game I got used to this type of turn-based gameplay and gained a new appreciation for it. In fact, I can honestly say that I actually like it now! So of course now I'm dying to play all the Final Fantasy games, but especially the earlier ones because they remind me a lot of Legend of Zelda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Zelda 2

When I was a kid my parents rented this game for me and I thought it was weird, weird, weird. Didn't buy it until 2005, then I thought it was too difficult. Finally in 2012 I'm actively trying to play through the game, and enjoying it quite a bit. I still suck at it though. But now I enjoy the suck.

Ancient Scribe Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never bothered with it when it first came out because I wanted something similar to the first Zelda. I was so happy when Link to the Past came out! But you know, now that you mention it, I should really give it a try.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by psychopat View Post
    Gran Turismo.... I remember having a demo for it and hated cause I couldn't control the cars now it's my favorite racing game!
    I hated that game when it first came out too but eventually came around, mainly because when I started driving real cars I realized how realistic it is, and could apply things I did on real roads to the game.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally beat Zelda 2 this past month, I cheated haha. I never got far in it as a kid, but i loved the graphics and music a ton so id play it and mess around. I like it more than the first one now that I beat both, but its really really hard.