Thread: GP2X(Should i buy one?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

Default GP2X(Should i buy one?)

I've only heard a little about these, and have only seen one in person, but the idea of it interests me. I just want to know more about it, and if it is easy to use or not. Or would it be beneficial to use my PSP or my DS for the same purposes(emulation?)?

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by garagesaleking!! View Post
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I've had one since they came out, and I love it. I don't think it's hard to use at all... basically, all you have to do is copy programs to an SD card, and then select the program from the GP2X and that's it. You don't need to know anything about Linux or anything like that, if that's what you're worried about. The main downsides to the GP2X are poor battery life, somewhat poor thumbstick (opinions vary, I actually don't mind it), and slow boot-up time. But you don't have to worry about installing custom firmwares or buying third-party flash adapters or anything like that.

Whether it's a better option than the PSP really depends on what you want to do with it I suppose. Each system has it's pros and cons. While I like the GP2X better myself, for many users the PSP probably edges it out. I wouldn't even put the DS in the same category, as it's just not powerful enough to do some of the things that the GP2X and the PSP can do.

Pandora should be coming out soon too, which could potentially blow both systems away as far as emulation and homebrew goes... or it could be a complete flop... though I'm cautiously optimistic.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can get your hands on a fat PSP, I'd just use that. It's easy to flash and install programs and roms. Plus, you can get retail games and umd movies.

Only real downside is that UMDs kind of suck and that converting videos to watch on the psp is slow as hell. For gaming its great though.

Oh, and the D-pad. The d-pad sucks. Virtually useless. I always end up using the nub thing which I kind of hate because of its lack of precision.

Ehhh... after posting the above, maybe I'll look into getting a gp2x for emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fat PSP's d-pad really sucks. The slim's d-pad is awesome.

Install a custom firmware on a slim PSP and you have the best handheld homebrew device available as of now. The GP2X is nice too (I owned both the original model and the f-200), but there is nothing in terms of emulation that the PSP does not do better honestly. And as for d-pads, well the first model d-pad was jsut terrible, and the second is not so great either...although anything is better than that first model thing.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

yeah the slim psp is the way to go nice and light with many other improvements over the fat as well. However you could save some money getting a fatty (dpad can be modded also) and I hear its easier to mod the fatty. I've had a fatty and a slim I prefer the slim for the most part though I did prefer the fattys build quality (felt better built) and liked its UMD lid (opened differently)

I woudlnt bother with a GP2x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy crap am I behind the times! So you're telling the slim PSP actally has a decent D-pad? Can I use it for fighting games? What about the Genesis collection? If this is true I'm gonna buy one ASAP.

I thought the only improvements were video-out, more RAM and better battery life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    Holy crap am I behind the times! So you're telling the slim PSP actally has a decent D-pad? Can I use it for fighting games? What about the Genesis collection? If this is true I'm gonna buy one ASAP.

I thought the only improvements were video-out, more RAM and better battery life.
    The D-Pad on the Slim is slightly better than on the original PSP, largely because the pads themselves sit a little higher under the case, so more of the button is exposed above the face of the system - gives the feeling of being a little more "there" under your thumb... Personally, I never really had any problem with the old D-Pad, but I have large, strong hands, so that might have something to do with it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimid2 View Post
    Personally, I never really had any problem with the old D-Pad, but I have large, strong hands, so that might have something to do with it...
    I'm a pretty big guy myself. I don't think it's an issue of strong hands but rather the thing just doesn't register diagonals properly (or at least it doesn't feel like it does).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    I'm a pretty big guy myself. I don't think it's an issue of strong hands but rather the thing just doesn't register diagonals properly (or at least it doesn't feel like it does).

Exactly. The diagonals did not work PERIOD on any of the fat units I had owned. Playing a game like 1942 in PSP Mame was just horrible as you can imagine. But, the slim has no issues whatsoever with diagonal movement with complete ease. The d-pad was definitely redesigned here. I think Sony kind of hid that away however, as they probably never wanted the original fat buyers to know that they purchased a unit with a flaw

And to answer your questions: Yes, you can use it perfectly on the Genesis collection, all fighting games, emulators...etc etc. It is just perfect now on the slim

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor View Post
    And to answer your questions: Yes, you can use it perfectly on the Genesis collection, all fighting games, emulators...etc etc. It is just perfect now on the slim
    Cool. Thanks.

Great - one more thing to add to my wanted list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DKTheArcadeRat

I already have a Fat PSP, which i use a bunch as an mp3 player(especially now that I cracked my ipod screen, which somehow still works just has a real odd mark on the screen). Anyway, I have no problem with that d-pad, I just kind of worry about possibly bricking the system or something.
    ebay is the only way to price things in my opinion.
    i was like nice parenting, what are you my therapist, take a walk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DKTheArcadeRat View Post
    I already have a Fat PSP, which i use a bunch as an mp3 player(especially now that I cracked my ipod screen, which somehow still works just has a real odd mark on the screen). Anyway, I have no problem with that d-pad, I just kind of worry about possibly bricking the system or something.
    Well, if you need someone experienced to do the mod for you, let me know. We both live in NJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well with tempest ver.07 Pc-engine cd games are now playable. Ive been testing out the emu for a couple days and its pretty easy to use & plays alot of games at a good speed & without all the fuss pcep required.