Thread: Anybody else excited for Ron Gilbert's "The Cave" (out today!)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Anybody else excited for Ron Gilbert's "The Cave" (out today!)

Ron Gilbert - the creative mind behind the original Lucasfilm Games Classics' "Maniac Mansion" and "The Secret of Monkey Island" has a new game out today on PS3, XBLA and PC that involves 3 player simultaneous real-time puzzle solving!

Everything about it looks to have the classic humor and style of his earlier efforts without all of the SCUMM or pointing and clicking. I'm excited to sit down with some friends and/or the wifey to make our way through this one!

Nice to see some cool multiplayer co-op things coming down the pike that aren't shooters, fighters or Wii style party games.

http://thecavegame.com/

"And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love Ron Gilbert's work, but the task of wranglin' up an extra two people in order to play his newest game not so much.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    I love Ron Gilbert's work, but the task of wranglin' up an extra two people in order to play his newest game not so much.
    Pretty much this. That and indie bundles have made me a cheap son of a bitch when it comes to PC games, I'll get it when it's in a $4 bundle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    While it will make for some fun local local multiplayer, you don't NEED two other people.

It plays fine as a single-player experience!

There are well placed "rally points" where the other two characters you select will catch up to the group, and much like Trine, you can switch quickly between characters with a d-pad direction.

Don't let the 3 character mechanic turn away anybody who enjoys a good puzzle platformer!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Another cool trailer!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Yes! I want to play it but I can't decide which version to get. Does the wii u version have any advantages?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Yes! I want to play it but I can't decide which version to get. Does the wii u version have any advantages?
    I didn't even know that it was out on Wii-U!

The game is very minimal in terms of controls and options. No map on the Wii-U pad.

From Wikipedia: The Wii U version will use the Wii U GamePad as a character selection device as well as to shift focus to the character on the screen, but otherwise will add no new features.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I didn't even know that it was out on Wii-U!

The game is very minimal in terms of controls and options. No map on the Wii-U pad.

From Wikipedia: The Wii U version will use the Wii U GamePad as a character selection device as well as to shift focus to the character on the screen, but otherwise will add no new features.
    And there you have it. PC it is.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I see it has a "teen" rating. Those of you guys and gals with kids, would you let your 10 year old play it? I realize some games have a teen rating and are fine for younger players while some games seem way too bad to let my son play it.

Yeah or Not on a 10 year old???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    I see it has a "teen" rating. Those of you guys and gals with kids, would you let your 10 year old play it? I realize some games have a teen rating and are fine for younger players while some games seem way too bad to let my son play it.

Yeah or Not on a 10 year old???
    Without getting into spoiler territory.

It contains cartoon violence, but only so much as the characters all look like cartoons, there are otherwise some "graphic" death sequences with characters getting eaten by monsters, impaled on spikes, crushed by rocks, etc. There are some instances of blood, but the majority of the game is just good puzzle solving that's JUST hard enough to be satisfying and not frustrating.

Thematically all seven of the adventurers are bad people, though, like a good story along the lines of Twilight Zone or Tales from the Crypt type fiction - bad people get their just deserts despite their strongest efforts to avoid it.

Personally, I think a 10 year old would probably love the game, and it would be fun to play WITH a 10 year old.

Take a look at some of the videos of the game and see if you can find any visuals of the violence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Finished it with one set of 3 adventurers, going to save the next play through for a 3-on-the-couch group.

While the execution of the product is solid, the endings are a bit weak.

Still worth the price of admission for fans of Gilbert's work and/or 2-D platform puzzlers IMO.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 01-24-2013 at 09:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Apparently it's on sale at Amazon.com (i.e. a Steam key) for $15 + $5 credit.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATSB3FO

It's kind of tempting... but with so, so, so much else to play, I think I can wait at least until it goes down to $7.50.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

The Cave had its moments, but I didn't really care for it as a whole. I finished the game as the Scientist, the Time Traveler, and the Knight. The Scientist's set piece with the rocket was pretty cool. But all-in-all, the game was a point-and-click adventure game with the wrong interface attached - and by that, I mean in its soul it was a point-and-click adventure, but it had a run-and-jump puzzle platformer gameplay mechanic instead. I know that the adventure genre hasn't been in the prime of its popularity since the 1990's, but that's what The Cave felt designed as (which is no surprise given the track record of Ron Gilbert). However instead what we got was a lot - and I mean A LOT - of walking, jumping, and backtracking, which just felt like it diluted the whole experience. Plus I have never cared for silent protagonists, and The Cave has seven. Also the flashback artwork had a style that I don't like. One might say that the quietness of the game adds to the ambiance and atmosphere, but I say that it just made The Cave feel emptier.

I did enjoy all the Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion references though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heads up: six bucks on GreenManGaming with the code GMG20-P4DLK-FKYRS . Twelve hours or so left. And activates on Steam, naturally.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you've got PS+ on a US PS account, wait until the end of this month and it's one of the free games. We're still getting screwed left and right by what we're offered in comparison to the games Europe is offered, though.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I generally feel like PSN+ is screwing anyone who doesn't own a Vita. :/

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I generally feel like PSN+ is screwing anyone who doesn't own a Vita. :/
    Those who own a Vita are getting more content, but Europe generally gets much better offerings with PS+. This month is Mass Effect 3, DoA5, and MGS HD Vita. Last month was Sleeping Dogs and Lumines Electronic Symphony. December they got Arkham City, Vanquish, and Mortal Kombat Vita(Vanquish was the only good game we got last month.) January was the only bad month in Europe. Not only that but most months, Europe gets not only more content, but better content. It's a bit ridiculous.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I played the demo on Wii U yesterday and thought it was a cool game but reminded me too much of Lost Winds. While that is good I was also somewhat bored after a while. The narrator aka cave is hilarious and love it.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Those who own a Vita are getting more content, but Europe generally gets much better offerings with PS+. This month is Mass Effect 3, DoA5, and MGS HD Vita. Last month was Sleeping Dogs and Lumines Electronic Symphony. December they got Arkham City, Vanquish, and Mortal Kombat Vita(Vanquish was the only good game we got last month.) January was the only bad month in Europe. Not only that but most months, Europe gets not only more content, but better content. It's a bit ridiculous.
    On the other side of that, doesn't Europe also get screwed on retail prices? I guess Sony figures they need the games more than the US users do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Yeah, ultimately underwhelming when everything was said and done, but for the cost of entry (especially free on PLUS) I still think it's a fun experience.