Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you guys rate Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on the greatest-RPGs-of-all-time?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool Where do you guys rate Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind on the greatest-RPGs-of-all-time?

To me, Morrowind was one of my favorite games ever. The non-stop adventure that almost never ended, the engaging storyline and all the books to read! i would definitely rate it in my top 3, along with Earthbound and Chrono trigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, I just got done playing it about 10 minutes ago with my umpteenth character.

I rate it very high on my all time list, maybe even #1. The main quest is average, I'll admit that. But the amount of factions you can join and missions you can do is awesome. For roleplayers, this game has so many options. Build whatever type of custom character you want. Build a monk, pure mage, thief, tank, summoner etc. Roleplay that character and join the factions to go along with them. The freedom to play how you want really makes this game stand out. I've been playing Morrowind for years, and I still come back for more.
    May 19, 1998
    "Fever gone but itchy. Hungry and eat doggy food. Itchy. Itchy. Scott came. Ugly face so killed him. Tasty."
    ~ Keeper's Diary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually rate Daggerfall higher than Morrowind. Morrowind, believe it or not, felt small in comparison and didn't capture my imagination the way Daggerfall did. Plus, the game was really toned down to get a Teen rating. There was lots of nudity and sexual content in DF. Another thing that I didn't like, which is more a problem in Oblivion, is the way there's a creature filled dungeon every ten feet. Still a great game. The whole series is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I never really got into Morrowind. It was a bit too psychedelic for me with the mushroom trees and the large bug-taxis. The combat controls were also a departure from Arena and Daggerfall, which bugged me.

To me it's a prettied up version of Daggerfall, an "evolution" rather than a "revolution" and I don't see it being that close to "greatest RPG of all time".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

I found it to be damn near unplayable with all of the bugs. Plus I just hated the way It played.
    SEGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    I actually rate Daggerfall higher than Morrowind. Morrowind, believe it or not, felt small in comparison and didn't capture my imagination the way Daggerfall did. Plus, the game was really toned down to get a Teen rating. There was lots of nudity and sexual content in DF. Another thing that I didn't like, which is more a problem in Oblivion, is the way there's a creature filled dungeon every ten feet. Still a great game. The whole series is.
    I love Daggerfall as well. I remember periods of time where I'd just wander in the wilderness and find little villages. Unfortunately the game hasn't aged well due to its 3D graphics but Daggerfall is still one of my top 10 RPGs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rate it along with some of the worst I've ever played, along with such gems as King's Field.

Sorry. I didn't like it at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's my personal favorite. the sheer amount of things to do and the way you leveled up your character made it almost perfect in my opinion. before morrowind i had all of these ideas about what would make a great rpg, and then morrowind had almost all of them. I hear daggerfall is much better, but like someone else said, it hasn't aged well at all, and trying to play it now doesn't go very well. morrowind is one of those games that some people absolutely love and others just hate. I guess it all depends on your style of playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Definitely somewhere in the top ten, maybe top five.

Morrowind is smaller than Daggerfall, but the attention to detail is a lot bigger. Every town is unique and looks completely different. There are a million quest-y things to do, and it's fun to explore and mod.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me, it's definitely in the top 5. It's one of my favorite games of all time, which is a little strange considering I never finished it. No game has ever had that amazing sense of exploration Morrowind had. What's over that hill? What's in that cave? Maybe I'll follow this river and see where it goes... It was a fantastic game.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I haven't made it that far in the game but it is one of the better ones. Personally, I don't like that many RPG's and am not a fan of the genre. So I'd say it ranks up there very high with the ones I have played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Morrowind has ruined me for Japaneses-linear-style "RPGs."

As a tabletop RPG gamer, I LOVED the open ended nature of the game, the factions, and the superb moral ambiguity inherent throughout the storyline and its characters.

There are some fantastic mods for it that make the game even better, too.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised Morrowind isn't playable on the 360.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Not too high, in my opinion. Yeah, it's big. Yeah, you can do a bunch of stuff.

But c'MON. Ultima VII allowed me to BAKE FRICKIN' BREAD, if I wanted to. And that was over ten years ago. Why hasn't anyone made a world that cool since?

In Morrowind I maxed out a weapon pretty early into the quest, and then it just got plain boring after a while. No mounts to make travel easier (hello - Ultima VII's flying CARPET?); I just had to hoof it everywhere. The NPCs staying in the same exact spot all day, all night, never moving. Those stupid guards kept calling KEEP MOVING in that deadpan voice. Outlander this, outlander that, blah blah blah. They could at least have ten different things for them to say if I have to hear it all game.

And the dialogue was way more boring than even Ultima's NAME JOB BYE system. Not to mention that the world was pretty colorless, too - a big fat grey region in the middle of the map tends to do that to you.

Ultima, Bard's Tale, KOTOR - all way more interesting to me. I'm not a fan of the Japanese "train-track" games, but even a Final Fantasy game tends to keep my interest more than Morrowind did.

KEEP MOVING.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    KEEP MOVING.
    N'wah!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I like Oblivion more because, even though its smaller, it has more stuff.

Also because of the mods. I can make a character that actually looks semi-interesting instead of some creepy looking square-headed elf beast with its face on crooked. Just look!

wow!

For comparison, here is a shot of my character and a basic oblivion character

he looks like a ham

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That was the game that made me buy an xbox, never regretted it either. Since I was never a pc gamer morrowind on xbox was really the first rpg, or game for that matter where I truly felt like I was living in its world. Story? what sotry? hell the beauty of that game were the never ending quests, the ability to steal items, claiming a house for yourself and storing your items inside of it. Heck even the graphics, sound, voice acting, all top notch.

I wouldent compare it to turn based rpg's, to me games like morrowind and games like final fantasy 7 are traditional and action rpg's. However if I had to make a list of my top 10 rpg's of all time this would probably rank around 6-8.

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rank it somewhere between Pac-Man and Need for Speed: Underground.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry to go off topic for a bit but which is the best version of Morrowind to get for Xbox? I heard different printings added some new stuff to the game.

PG

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carnage6 View Post
    Sorry to go off topic for a bit but which is the best version of Morrowind to get for Xbox? I heard different printings added some new stuff to the game.

PG
    Get the game of the year platinum edition. It has the 3 expansion packs.