Page 59 of 63 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1249

Thread: Limited Run Games (producing physical copies of digital games)

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Of course LRG is just focussed on making money, the collector market is just a niche they're wanting to exploit rather than serve towards and help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    All businesses are created for the purpose of turning a profit. That doesn't mean they're all exploitative. People who make, publish, distribute, etc. video games need to put roofs over their heads and food on their tables too.
    I don't get that feeling from LRG, it feels like they just want to make as much money as they possibly can. Even though LRG is a small company it feels soulless like any giant corporation.
    I feel LRG has some values. I don't question that the founders are gamers and collectors themselves, and I do believe they try to offer products they themselves would want.
    But;

Even though they've talked about rewarding Vita full setters with a free game after these last two games, loyalty clearly means nothing to LRG because they made no attempt to ensure that the Vita collectors who have been supporting them since the very beginning with Breach & Clear could get a copy of this. Every copy of Papers, Please that they included in blind boxes back on New Years should be going to their loyal customers who missed out yesterday, but LRG cared more about clearing out their stock of less desirable Vita games.
    So, are you feeling any different about the company now? It sounds like you are compared to what you said earlier. It actually wouldn't surprise me if they purposely excluded you and other "full setters" from being able to purchase the game just to keep anyone from getting the promised free games in the future.

A bit of a side note. Honestly a rerelease for Shantae on the Gameboy Color sounds really cool, but as it's probably going to sell out in 30 seconds and/or be priced at $200 for a super deluxe collector's edition I can't build excitement for it. I'm still hoping to find an original copy.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Instead of showing any sympathy or discussing the details of the release, are you seriously just looking for an opportunity to get in an "I told you so" here? :/

No, I don't think how I expressed myself about the Papers, Please release contradicts what I said prior, and, yes, I still agree with what I said in the quoted lines. Sorry, but I don't think in extremes and absolutes. I don't think LRG is "just" focused on making money, and they don't need to be a charity giving away all their releases for free to prove that. And when I say they have "some" values, that doesn't mean they exactly share all of my values.

I've been very consistent over these five years in pointing out lots of mistakes I believe LRG has made. I don't think they're an evil, exploitative company doing everything wrong, nor do I think they're perfect and doing everything right. I've been labeled as both an "LRG fanboy" and an "LRG hater", and to me at least, I feel that means I'm striking the right middle ground.

It's a silly conspiracy theory to believe they purposely prevented full setters from getting Papers, Please. For one, many full setters have stated that they did get an order in. Second, it would take significant work to set up something like that, and Shopify isn't built to accommodate that. Lastly, there would be little benefit to LRG. The bonus game is already manufactured. As it is, given Sony's minimum print run sizes, LRG is likely sitting on way more copies than there were full setters even before the sale of Papers, Please, so they'll probably be selling a bunch regardless, throwing them into blind boxes, or using them as contest prizes. They've also already stated that people would still qualify for the free game even if they missed a release or two. The problem isn't the bonus game here, only that I think they should be doing more to help the loyal customers get the remaining two games and shouldn't have included the game in blind boxes prior to the standard sales day. And for what it's worth, they have been encouraging full setters on Twitter to open support tickets so that they can get added to a wait list and possibly hooked up with a copy from orders cancelled due to scalpers using bots and what have you.

As for Shantae, both the Switch and GBC version have been confirmed as an open pre-order. There might be a limited CE, but standard copies should be available for weeks.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well, the sale of Papers, Please for Vita yesterday was an absolute disaster. The first batch sold out in what appeared to be less than 90 seconds and the second in what appeared to be less than 60, and with the queue they stick you in, only a fraction of that was available for actually completing checkout. I did everything as I always did, which had never failed me thus far, and I literally couldn't go through the pages any faster (and this is on a high-speed connection), and yet I still got the sold out message mid-checkout on both attempts.
    My experience exactly. Both times kicked out at PayPal while checking out as fast as I possibly could. Immediately afterwards I checked LRG's twitter feed and it was already lit up with unhappy customers. Because I was never really trying for an LRG Vita full set, though I probably have them all except for this one, I consoled myself with the thought that Papers, Please might end up with a physical copy on the PS4 or Switch. Vita exclusives interest me, but I don't consider myself much of a handheld gamer.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's a shame Papers, Please isn't already available on PS4 and Switch. I think that could've helped the physical Vita release go smoother. I was seeing comments on Twitter from fans of the game buying LRG's release despite the fact that they don't even own a Vita, just because they wanted the game in physical form for some platform. I imagine there are a fair number of people who would've preferred buying it for a different platform.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I have gotten a couple of the CEs that have these cases in them. My question to you guys is if you were a hardcore saturn/sega CD collector, and you bought a rare game off ebay, would you want to know ahead of time if it's an original case or an LRG re-issue? I personally notice a difference in material and think I'd want to pay less for a game that had the re-issue over an original case. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I would prefer original packaging, but if the alternative is a cracked up case, I'll take a replacement, as long as it's not noticeably different to me. But I feel like pieces should be replaced on an as-needed basis. I wouldn't want the entire case replaced if only the front lid was cracked. I've never replaced any of my longbox jewel cases and have no intention on buying replacements (though I too have some of these cases already in various LRG CEs, which honestly I think were pretty dumb inclusions versus something I could get more use out of, like an OST or art book, and is more relevant to the game [why should Cosmic Star Heroine get a Sega CD-style case when the game is just as much, if not more so, inspired by Chrono Trigger?]). But I have replaced bits and pieces of various standard jewel cases, like for PS1 games, with parts that were identical as far as I could tell.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    My question to you guys is if you were a hardcore saturn/sega CD collector, and you bought a rare game off ebay, would you want to know ahead of time if it's an original case or an LRG re-issue? I personally notice a difference in material and think I'd want to pay less for a game that had the re-issue over an original case. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky.
    I would want to know, that's the type of stuff that bothers me. If it's something actually rare, it would be better to buy a cheaper game in excellent condition and swap the cases between them. Even when I have to change PS1 or plain CD cases I try to avoid having to do this, and I try to match them physically with the same type of case even when the small production numbers on the plastic never match so they're still different in the end. Usually when I have to change a DVD case I need to match the same identical case, by the same manufacturer.

It's good that new cases are available to those who need them but they do really need to be made identical with the same molding and material. I wouldn't pay extra for a game that has an aftermarket case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

It's good that new cases are available to those who need them but they do really need to be made identical with the same molding and material. I wouldn't pay extra for a game that has an aftermarket case.
    I agree here too. I'm not even fully against some of my games having cracks in the case or snapped tabs. I do try and keep the higher value ones in the higher quality cases though. I still have a bunch of spare case parts from back when you could get the sports titles for a few bucks. I never got around to replacing the existing ones that are cracked. Actually I still sometimes find the sports games for $5 and under but not often.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Never enters my mind, but then again, I don't buy the rare $$$ ones. However, I've replaced countless PS1, DC, etc. cases in the past.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

I was able to get a copy. Bot where rampant getting the game. And trust me, it lasted less than 45 seconds for the first batch. I was literally timing from the moment it was available to purchase to when it said "sold out"...roughly 45 seconds. This was due ti those damn bots.

LRG never has cared for the customers, oy for their net profit. LRG cheerleaders might be in denial, but the facts are quite visible. That is why, after Meatboy, I will stop with LRG completely. Not worth the hassle.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

LRGs most fair game yet. I'm surprised they didn't pressure the developer to allow them to release the 3DS game as each game separately at $25 each. Yes, the games included are merely okay at best, but despite that, this is a great deal for a collection which is at the very least decent. I also love the 3D on the 3DS and a major selling point in the first place was the 3D effect with these games, a feature that was lost on the PS4 version despite the ability to play in the background.

However, it wouldn't be LRG if they didn't screw their fanbase, and with Grandia HD Collection, the game's cost is $15 above MSRP which is their new usual increase instead of the $10 they promised they'd never ever push it above.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Dude, it's been explained to you a million times over what LRG actually said in regard to their price points versus the digital points and how the +$10 "rule" has never applied to their Switch releases. At this point you're just trolling. Either that or you just like to run your mouth without ever reading what anyone else says.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Dude, it's been explained to you a million times over what LRG actually said in regard to their price points versus the digital points and how the +$10 "rule" has never applied to their Switch releases. At this point you're just trolling. Either that or you just like to run your mouth without ever reading what anyone else says.
    And the PS4 versions? Thank you.

Blaster Master Zero 1 and 2 weren't $10 increase, not $15, no, no, no, but a whole $20 each on their PSN price. If you're going to defend a company, you could do better than LRG. But I understand, it's okay that LRG literally screws their fanbase, right? However, when a company makes a mistake in their promotional material despite releasing the game at $30 with all the DLC, you're up in arms over the situation, you know, like when Badland Games released Velocity 2X. Now, when it was announced, they actually did announce only the PS4 version would be getting the extras, and hey, sometimes mistakes are made. Like, oh I don't know, accidentally printing on the Vita box that that small Vita case would be holding a soundtrack CD which we both know is impossible. Mistakes are made, blunders you'd call them, but unlike LRG, it wasn't by any disingenuous means, it was a mistake. Did LRG "accidentally" price the PS4 games more than $10 each? Did they "accidentally" price both Blaster Master Zero games $20 extra? Did they "accidentally" remove large amounts of information that could be pulled up proving that they're full of shit? Did LRG "accidentally" release Samurai Showdown VI knowing full well they were releasing the compilation which included that very game at a later date? Did LRG "accidentally" write into their contract that the developers or other publishers could be under a legal obligation to pay for any losses they feel they may have suffered due to that developer or publisher announcing the same release before LRGs title has finished selling? Did LRG, on many occassions, "accidentally" crap on some publishers Twitter about how they're not releasing a game with up to date patches when very often they themselves almost never have their games patched up to date?

There's a difference, and with LRG, this company isn't scum by accident.

Here's a prerelease Velocity2X announcement showing that only the PS4 would be getting the additional content btw.

https://www.dualshockers.com/velocit...extra-goodies/
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-08-2020 at 05:40 PM.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Just a note on the Sega CD/Saturn/PSOne jewel cases. Josh actually had new molds made of the exact original cases. They are other than being new, exact. They've been shipped out for a bunch of the LE/CS stuff for a few of the other games and I've held them in hand for the games/bundles I've gotten that have had them and they're legit.

I did order a 10 pack, just waiting for them to ship still, but they're going to Dangerboy so he can do a review/comparison for GameRave TV.

Surprised that Atooi still has copies left. 3DS being region locked totally impacted that for the LRG overseas folks who got boxed out because of that. Hoping we'll see other 3DS releases, but I'm not going to hold my breath at this point. If they've got to do 6k print runs they'll likely not do more is my guess unless it's something huge like Phoenix Wright or maybe the Dillon games. I can't see anything else being able to create enough demand.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    And the PS4 versions? Thank you.
    Again, already explained multiple times over and is in relation to anything that gets a Switch release. As soon as they started Switch releases, they stated there would be price parity for other platform versions of those Switch releases. You can say that sucks, sure, but they had one policy when they were only doing PS4 and Vita releases (and the occasional PC release) and a different policy once they started doing Switch releases. There wasn't any deception about it, nor did they break any promises about it, nor have I ever claimed these prices were just accidents or mistakes. They've been deceptive and broken promises on plenty of other things, but not this, and I've complained about them many, many times over, so it just all the more shows that you don't actually read anything before you start ranting and raving if you think I'm some LRG white knight who holds them to a lower standard than other companies.

I'm only laying out the facts on the price parity. I don't complain about it because I'm indifferent to it, as it generally doesn't affect me. I don't buy their Switch releases, and I stopped buying their PS4 releases regularly way back when they released Flinthook, only buying two since (Wonder Boy and 8-bit Adventure Anthology, neither of which were sold alongside a Switch version). I don't recall any of their Vita releases being sold simultaneously with a Switch version, but past the start of Switch releases, some Vita games have been more than the +$10 (or $25 minimum for games priced lower than $15 digitally) of the past. Do I wish Papers, Please was sold at $25, considering the PSN price is $10? Sure, but the new policy is the new policy. I can either suck it up and choose to buy anyway, or I can skip their releases, which I do the vast majority of the time these days. There are a few upcoming games I'm interested in that will have Switch releases sold alongside them, so I know they probably won't be priced only 10 bucks over the digital price point, but I'm interested enough to buy them in spite of that. Do I wish other companies were handling these releases and selling them at a lower price point? Hell yeah, but I have no control over who a developer/publisher chooses to partner with.

As for Velocity 2X, the release was heavily delayed, and they had initially said both releases would get the additional items in all the prerelease promotional material (and they never claimed the CD would be packaged within the Vita case). Even the store listings on Amazon and such said as much, which is where most people ordered the Vita version. Then, after release, Badland Games promised to provide the extras to Vita buyers if they filled out an online form, but the vast majority of those people never received them. The few who did received the items long past the time frame Badland Games promised they'd be delivered in. This is a case where a company made many, many promises and failed to meet virtually all of them. Comparing it to the price parity situation with LRG shows that you don't at all grasp either situation, but I guess you'll feebly try to piece together any imagined gotcha to try to paint people who present facts you refuse to accept or opinions you don't like as hypocrites or whatever. Again, you're just trolling here. Knock that shit off.
    Last edited by Aussie2B; 08-13-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've recently just gotten shipping confirmation for both Atooi Collection and Samurai Shodown V Special. I ended up ordering 2 copies of Atooi and will tuck a sealed one away. I don't usually buy collectors editions so I passed on that. Samurai I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with yet because I don't know when the retail copies of the collection is coming out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Special Reserve Games really needs to increase the stock of their titles. From what I've heard the LRG stock which I wasn't there for was sold in the first 30 minutes, and I also didn't get it from SRG with their whole 1000 copies there. I don't really care for Hotline Miami 2 as much as the first, and I already own Hotline Miami The Collected Edition PS4 import so I do own a physical copy of the first game, but I did want these two games. Looks like I'm never getting them, all you have to do is look at Ruiner's Ebay prices to see that these prices, a game I did get, to see that these games prices are likely not only not going to drop, but probably exceed that in the future(since Hotline Miami is better and more popular than Ruiner.)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Special Reserve Games really needs to increase the stock of their titles. From what I've heard the LRG stock which I wasn't there for was sold in the first 30 minutes, and I also didn't get it from SRG with their whole 1000 copies there. I don't really care for Hotline Miami 2 as much as the first, and I already own Hotline Miami The Collected Edition PS4 import so I do own a physical copy of the first game, but I did want these two games. Looks like I'm never getting them, all you have to do is look at Ruiner's Ebay prices to see that these prices, a game I did get, to see that these games prices are likely not only not going to drop, but probably exceed that in the future(since Hotline Miami is better and more popular than Ruiner.)
    Not correct. LRG's stock of both games didn't sell out until several hours after the SRG version went live (which already was an hour after the LRG variants). Anyone that made any reasonable effort to get to either store got copies as it wasn't an instant sell out at either place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Not correct. LRG's stock of both games didn't sell out until several hours after the SRG version went live (which already was an hour after the LRG variants). Anyone that made any reasonable effort to get to either store got copies as it wasn't an instant sell out at either place.
    Define reasonable? I didn't even know LRG had a variant until today, but having to be there on a specific time on a specific date isn't reasonable no matter what definition you'd like to pull out of your ass. The whole system LRG made up is, as a matter of fact, unreasonable. Yeah, if you're there on time, if you're not busy, sure, most of the time you can get a copy, but the system itself works for scalpers over people who are actually interested in purchasing the games. Reasonable effort when most items that aren't preorder sell out the same day? Bullshit.

And as I stated, I was late, but being there the same day(at SRG) really shouldn't have mattered. But it's fine, it's only the second.... and third game that I was interested that I lost out on.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 08-29-2020 at 07:12 PM.