Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since when has eBay allowed sellers to block messages from buyers?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Default Since when has eBay allowed sellers to block messages from buyers?

Just a quick bit of background. See an auction on eBay that I'm interested in, but not for the price that it is listed at. Auction has run for a few days and currently has no bids. I was going to ask the seller if they'd reduce the starting price. But when I go to use the "ask seller a question" function, no matter what option I choose, I can't get through to the part about asking. I get a "We're sorry but we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is unable to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

I don't recall ever using this seller before so I doubt I'm specifically blocked by them...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Have you tried using the "other" option? That usually works for me.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Well, it should give you an option that this didn't answer your question then allow you to send them an e-mail. Choosing other also works. I've used both of these methods several times this week and they work.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Just a quick bit of background. See an auction on eBay that I'm interested in, but not for the price that it is listed at. Auction has run for a few days and currently has no bids. I was going to ask the seller if they'd reduce the starting price. But when I go to use the "ask seller a question" function, no matter what option I choose, I can't get through to the part about asking. I get a "We're sorry but we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is unable to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

I don't recall ever using this seller before so I doubt I'm specifically blocked by them...
    If they don't ship to your country, then the site blocks you automatically. In my experience, anyway. I've had people try to get around that by using an eBay US account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I've messaged sellers who have only had items shipping to the US before (and when you try to bid, it stops your bid from registering) and I've been able to contact them fine, so I don't think it is that. Unless eBay has changed something recently.

To specify, I select the "ask a question" option at the bottom of the auction listing, select a topic, choose "no, I want to contact the seller" and hit the continue button. That's when I get the message saying I can't contact them. Never seen it before in my twelve years on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    Have you tried using the "other" option? That usually works for me.
    Yes, same response as above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you click on any ebay members name you will go to their feedback profile and there will be an option(it might be on the left or right) to "contact member". Click on that and follow the prompts to send your question.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Forget to mention, I'd already done that as well, got exactly the same message as before. Frankly I'm at a bit of a loss...

Hang on... if I choose the "this is not about an item" option there, I can get through. Still really odd though.
    Last edited by Mayhem; 01-30-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hang on... if I choose the "this is not about an item" option there, I can get through. Still really odd though.
    That usually works. I know this because even bidders I have blocked from bidding on my auctions(and there are dozens of them) are still allowed to send me messages. I never figured out how to block them from sending me messages and just assumed it wasn't possible. So that being the case, I knew that you can still pretty much contact anyone on ebay thru the "contact member" link.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

That is unusual. There are sellers who don't mention shipping elsewhere yet will if asked. Never heard of blocking messages.

By the way... Is it just me, or can sellers no longer leave feedback for a non-paying bidder? Wasn't too long ago I could.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theclaw View Post
    By the way... Is it just me, or can sellers no longer leave feedback for a non-paying bidder? Wasn't too long ago I could.
    Why would you want to in the first place? The worst you can do is leave a back-handed positive that can be instantly removed if the buyer asks ebay, or most likely, never read by anyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't forget how buggy the eBay site is either. For quite a while now I haven't been able to use Firefox to make a bid or hit a BIN. It only works for me if I use Chrome now. Also I can't upload pictures using Firefox anymore. Have to use Chrome for that too.

There are also problems that happen on both browsers. When I change the handling cost on international shipping, the new cost doesn't show up. eBay actually accepts the new cost but the value on the screen doesn't change. Very strange.

Has anyone ever noticed how sometimes when you use the eBay messaging system it automatically takes you to the eBay motors part of the site? For a company who's entire business is simply running a website they are absolutely woeful. I think the problem is that they are trying to add new features to the messaging system and they haven't ironed out the bugs yet. And it usually takes them quite a while to do so, if ever. I have submitted many corrections to their prefilled information and never had any of them fixed. For instance, take a look at Ms. Pac-Man for Super Nintendo. This is what their prefilled info reads under game special features:

Create your own BRATZ look by dressing her; travel around the world; participate in a number of exciting mini-games like figure skating; raise your own virtual pet.

Obviously this text belongs to the game Bratz but they seem to have no interest in changing it. I don't even bother submitting error reports anymore.

Not only that but the dicks at eBay have seemingly started allowing bootlegs to be sold. Every time I see someone selling Dreamcast bootlegs I report it. Lately none of these auctions have been taken down and every one has gone to completion. This really pisses me off when I've had listings taken down for selling things like Fami converters that aren't even illegal.

But of course these are things we must deal with when using a site that gets 1000 times more traffic than any other auction site.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    Why would you want to in the first place? The worst you can do is leave a back-handed positive that can be instantly removed if the buyer asks ebay, or most likely, never read by anyone.
    Perhaps, it seems for now a workaround is to leave the feedback right before you click 'close case'. Until ebay changes that too.
    Lum fan.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    Don't forget how buggy the eBay site is either. For quite a while now I haven't been able to use Firefox to make a bid or hit a BIN. It only works for me if I use Chrome now. Also I can't upload pictures using Firefox anymore. Have to use Chrome for that too.

There are also problems that happen on both browsers. When I change the handling cost on international shipping, the new cost doesn't show up. eBay actually accepts the new cost but the value on the screen doesn't change. Very strange.

Has anyone ever noticed how sometimes when you use the eBay messaging system it automatically takes you to the eBay motors part of the site?
    ... WTF? Check your browser. I bitch and moan about eBay being buggy but none of those problems have happened to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    ... WTF? Check your browser. I bitch and moan about eBay being buggy but none of those problems have happened to me.
    What am I supposed to check? I haven't changed any settings since it used to work. When I try to put in a bid eBay gives me that "page not accessible at this time" message.

The thing where it randomly takes you to eBay motors has been happening to me forever and with multiple computers, OSes and browsers. Everything still works fine, the eBay logo just changes from normal to the blue eBay motors logo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While we're bitching about the new messaging system, here's another bug. Now when you send someone a message it has a dropdown selector where you select what item you are messaging about. This is the same place where you can also select "this is not about an item". The problem is that the thumbnails do not always match the items. Some of the auction titles have the wrong picture for an unknown reason.

Also the My eBay screen keeps telling me I have a question to answer. But I have already answered the question. When I click the link it shows the item and it has a red bar that says "unanswered question". When I click respond then it just says "You have no more questions to answer".
    Last edited by nebrazca78; 01-31-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My biggest ebay complaint as of late is that uploading pictures has drasticly changed. It use to take a minute or so but now I usually don't even see the blue "upload" box for standard or basic uploader so I've been forced to link directly to photobucket for my pictures. This wasn't a problem last year(when ebay still had the enhanced uploader) but now it's a big one, as I learned when checking the forums and have noticed many many other people are going thru this as well.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nebrazca78 View Post
    While we're bitching about the new messaging system, here's another bug. Now when you send someone a message it has a dropdown selector where you select what item you are messaging about. This is the same place where you can also select "this is not about an item". The problem is that the thumbnails do not always match the items. Some of the auction titles have the wrong picture for an unknown reason.

Also the My eBay screen keeps telling me I have a question to answer. But I have already answered the question. When I click the link it shows the item and it has a red bar that says "unanswered question". When I click respond then it just says "You have no more questions to answer".
    Damn, you have a lot of issues with ebay. Some of them sound like they're on your end, so try updating your browser. I'm on ebay probably more than anyone else here and I've never heard of anything at all like what you explain, and I use Firefox too.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    My biggest ebay complaint as of late is that uploading pictures has drasticly changed.
    Ebay's photohosting is 100% garbage. Tiny images and you can't put the photos in the actual item description, where they belong. I've been using Photobucket since '03 and I've found no reason to switch to anything else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Firefox has auto-update on. I also tried to update manually but it said there were no new updates. Lame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not only do I sometimes have problems e-mailing sellers who are foreign (from my perspective), getting the "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, this seller is not able to respond to your question. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing." message; but a foreign buyer also alerted me to the fact that they couldn't e-mail me and I do ship internationally.

One can circumvent it by e-mailing sellers directly as opposed to e-mailing them from the item page, but 1) this is annoying and 2) not everyone knows how to do this or can be bothered doing this, which means a decrease in potential sales in the later above scenario.

Someone needs to figure this shit out.

Regarding the mis-match of item thumbnails under the messaging system, this minor bug is not due to the above user's web browser settings but does, in fact, exist.

Regarding eBay's photo-hosting or to be more precise, the automatic downscaling/downsizing of uploaded photos, this is in fact, pretty damn retarded. It used to be that the free gallery photo was self-hosted (assuming you self-hosted it and gave a photo URL as opposed to uploading the photo itself to eBay), but now all free gallery photos are hosted on eBay. There is actually a legitimate reason for this, but the automatic downgrading of photo resolution and size makes it way too small.

What the hell is eBay doing? It's like they want to fail. The faulty messaging system results in less sales and thus, less FVF for eBay. The low quality eBay-hosted photos may result in less sales and thus, less FVF for eBay. eBay rarely makes changes that are positive for sellers as well as buyers, but now eBay are implementing changes that are negative to even themselves!?

I can't remember the last positive change eBay has implemented. It's just a long line of bad or at best, questionable, changes.
    Last edited by layzee; 02-03-2011 at 03:52 AM.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Thanks for that Layzee, at least I know I'm not going completely mad