Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S-video or component?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default S-video or component?

For consoles that support both do you have a general preference or think one is better than the other for outputting at standard def?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer S-Video for any 90s consoles that factory support it except the SNES. I can't think of any that support Component. From the Dreamcast on, if Component allows for progressive scan or higher resolutions I like the option. Sometimes 480p bring out the aliasing more than S-Video does.

To me they're the same thing in different packaging unless the resolution increases, kind of like Component versus HDMI. I do notice a difference in white and black levels between the three, but even on the same settings I can't say one clearly beats out the others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

What kind of question is this? Component is cleaner and better than S-video. No classic gaming console supports component anyway, unless the kids these days consider the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox 1 to be classic gaming consoles. They're not.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    What kind of question is this? Component is cleaner and better than S-video. No classic gaming console supports component anyway, unless the kids these days consider the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox 1 to be classic gaming consoles. They're not.
    It's a question I ask out of curiosity. I googled before asking of course but I couldn't find an answer one way or the other, just the statement that component supports higher res. Both seperate chroma, and luma anyway.

Also, this is just a theoretical question but how long do you think it will be before the gamecube is considered retro? It came out 10 years ago and once the next gen hits would you consider it a retro console then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think we're going to have to accept the historical model eventually. Anything older than 10 years (which the Xbox and Gamecube will be this Christmas) is history.

The car model of anything over 20 years old is a classic seems to only be extended to muscle cars or popular cars. Obscure game consoles seem to get extended that courtesy much more quickly.

Anyway, I agree with your findings on the S-Video versus Component differences. At the same resolutions, they aren't that different.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I think the OP was mistaken. He probably meant to say composite, not component. Component is HD quality, composite is the lowest you go before RF. If we are to compare composite and S-Video, my personal take is that the difference is simply insignificant. Others swear there is, but comparing pictures or something, but with the game running, on an old CRT or even new LCD, I never saw much difference. Most newer TV's no longer have S-Video ports.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the ability to play Genesis systems with either component or s-video and I usually just go with s-video because it is more convenient and works on two of my 3 crt tvs (plus my capture card).

The isn't much difference in quality between s-video/component/rgb for 8 & 16-bit consoles compared to everything else beneath s-video.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RF ---> Composite ---> S-Video ---> RGB/SCART ---> Component ---> HDMI

Sega Genesis does not have Component, though I suppose it could be modded.

Component started with Progressive scan TV's which were the bridge to HDTV. I do not think than designate HDTV, they simply have the capacity to carry an HD signal where as S-Video probably does not. Component is roughly similar to RGB/SCART though it came after.

Much does depend on the TV you are displaying your material on. A Sgea Genesis outputting RGB is superior to RF/Composite/S-Video with the correct monitor, but might e indistinguishable on your everyday CRT/HDTV.

Some of the guys here know better than I and will hopefully chime in.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I think the OP was mistaken. He probably meant to say composite, not component. Component is HD quality, composite is the lowest you go before RF. If we are to compare composite and S-Video, my personal take is that the difference is simply insignificant. Others swear there is, but comparing pictures or something, but with the game running, on an old CRT or even new LCD, I never saw much difference. Most newer TV's no longer have S-Video ports.
    No, I was comparing them running both in a standard def setting on say a gamecube. I know that's a bit modern for a retro gaming forum but the gamecube will be retro before too long, as I said it is 10 years old already.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well from my experience, composite is ok enough for an SD TV. it gets the job done and miles better than RF. S-Video will give you a crisper picture with better color separateion. the colors don't bleed as much across pixels. component is a whole lot better since the channels are now separated even more, so the picture is even more sharp and the colors tend to look brighter. (you have a 27" sony wega so this is as good as it gets for that TV) the only problem with better inputs on low resolution console is that you notice the space between the scan lines more. I noticed this while playing final fantasy 7 on my ps3 hooked up with hdmi on my 40 inch lcd. everything was sharp and clear but made the tech look really outdated.

s-vid on snes/genesis generation consoles look great. IMO its the goldilocks not too sharp.... not too blurry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    RF ---> Composite ---> S-Video ---> RGB/SCART ---> Component ---> HDMI

Actually, you should have RGB/SCART and Component flip-flopped if you're considering non-progressive scan systems (everything prior to Dreamcast). Component is a very slight downgrade from RGB/SCART. It doesn't support the full bandwidth that RGB supports.

In regards to retro consoles, it is possible to enjoy them via component. I recently got my hands on a Kramer FC-14 Transcoder, and it's worked wonderfully for this very purpose.

http://www.kramerelectronics.com/pro...asp?name=fc-14

The hard part, is that you still need to get your retro consoles outputting a RGB video signal, and then you need to feed that video signal into the Kramer FC-14. The FC-14 will transcode the RGB video to component, which makes it easy to hook up to modern day TV's. The video quality is outstanding. I used to use a XRGB2+ device, but I think I like the Kramer FC-14 even better now that I've been playing around with it more.
    Last edited by WCP; 03-19-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

If it's composite vs svideo, then s vid all the way

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Using my SNES with my LCD TV, I notice a significantly sharper and truer picture using s-video, vs. composite. Text is much easier to read and colors are obviously more accurate.

For my genesis, I can only choose between RGB or composite (not counting RF), and I think you can guess which looks better. The difference is like night and day -- RGB really is a huge leap forward in clarity and color, there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty picky about video quality, but I don't find component to be significantly better than s-video at the same resolution.
    It's certainly not as much of an improvement as s-video is over composite.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    well from my experience, composite is ok enough for an SD TV. it gets the job done and miles better than RF. S-Video will give you a crisper picture with better color separateion. the colors don't bleed as much across pixels. component is a whole lot better since the channels are now separated even more, so the picture is even more sharp and the colors tend to look brighter. (you have a 27" sony wega so this is as good as it gets for that TV) the only problem with better inputs on low resolution console is that you notice the space between the scan lines more. I noticed this while playing final fantasy 7 on my ps3 hooked up with hdmi on my 40 inch lcd. everything was sharp and clear but made the tech look really outdated.

s-vid on snes/genesis generation consoles look great. IMO its the goldilocks not too sharp.... not too blurry.
    Composite isn't cutting it for me on my wega, the dot crawl is killing me, which is why I hope hooking up s-vid will improve things. I just need to find a decent cable.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the only thing i have via composite is the NES. everything else is s-vid or better. i got some game stop multi console (xbox 1 game cube and ps2 ) cables and they work wonderfully. the came cube connection is the same as the snes and n64. the rest i picked up at a local game store for the genesis. the wii is hooked up via component.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

to be honest, i never noticed dot crawl with my NES. perhaps the cable you are using sucks or is too long of a run and running into interference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wrote an in depth article may be of help.

Click my CRT vs LCD signature link.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only time I can see "dot crawl" on my new 40" LCD TV over Composite is when I view it with an S-Video up converter. Otherwise it's pretty much how it has always looked, colors blend, and viewing too closely looks pixelated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Component started with Progressive scan TV's which were the bridge to HDTV.
    That's not really true, actually. Although component supports progressive scan obviously, it was around on SDTVs before HD and EDTVs hit the market.