Thread: TV for retro gaming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Queen_Zoe

Quote Originally Posted by Darko View Post
    To my knowledge there is no 4:3 tube set that was ever made by Sony that is HD (above 480p that is). I could be wrong, but I've never heard of one.
    Now I get to blow your mind by informing you of the Sony WEGA KV-40XBR800. It's a 4:3 set, displays at 1080i, and is 40". Unfortunately, a decent percentage of them broke within a few years, the TV didn't sell that well in the first place, it weighs over three hundred pounds, and you'll be shelling out hundreds of dollars for one if you can find it. Still, when it works, it's jaw dropping.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My question would now be... what's the difference between the various revisions of the kv-27fs*** I have a kv-27fs100. However on the website in addition to model 100 they list, 17, 13, 200, 120, 210, 12, 16, and 320.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...v-27fs&x=0&y=0

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

a quick scan of the owners manual give these differences:

the 200's get 2 RF inputs on the rear while the 100's get only 1.
    the 200's get picture in picture

The TV rear panels illustrated in this manual are for KV-27FS200, KV-32FS200 and KV-36FS200. The
    KV-27FS100, KV-32FS100 and KV-36FS100; do not have the AUX input and TO CONVERTER output jack. (all referring to coax connections) i guess you could be playing 2 games picture in picture if you so chose.

the manual is here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the smaller increments in models could be board revisions or regional differences or something.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cynicalhat View Post
    a quick scan of the owners manual give these differences:

the 200's get 2 RF inputs on the rear while the 100's get only 1.
    the 200's get picture in picture

The TV rear panels illustrated in this manual are for KV-27FS200, KV-32FS200 and KV-36FS200. The
    KV-27FS100, KV-32FS100 and KV-36FS100; do not have the AUX input and TO CONVERTER output jack. (all referring to coax connections) i guess you could be playing 2 games picture in picture if you so chose.

the manual is here
    Cool thanks for the input.

the smaller increments in models could be board revisions or regional differences or something.
    I just don't want to suffer buyers remorse because I could have gotten a better version I bought the 27 wega because I heard it was the best and now I'm going to be disappointed if I find out there is a better version. When I purchased the TV I had no idea there were 9 different revisions of the same television.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i ave a 100 and it doesn't disappoint.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i ave a 100 and it doesn't disappoint.
    Good to hear

Only downside with my set is that the front av hookups are kind of touchy. If you plug it in firm and leave it alone it's fine, but if anything even wiggles the cord the sound and video can fluctuate. I don't care though because I'll just use a splitter with the back hookup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe F View Post
    Now I get to blow your mind by informing you of the Sony WEGA KV-40XBR800. It's a 4:3 set, displays at 1080i, and is 40". Unfortunately, a decent percentage of them broke within a few years, the TV didn't sell that well in the first place, it weighs over three hundred pounds, and you'll be shelling out hundreds of dollars for one if you can find it. Still, when it works, it's jaw dropping.
    Well you learn something new everyday I suppose. Glad to know they DO exist, and honestly, at 40", I'm glad I never bought one! I can't really think of one reason why I would need a 1080i tube set in the first place...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well you learn something new everyday I suppose. Glad to know they DO exist, and honestly, at 40", I'm glad I never bought one! I can't really think of one reason why I would need a 1080i tube set in the first place...
    But think of the 3 games or so that support it and how glorious they would look.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Edit:

Just to clarify I should be able to prominently notice the scanlines or is this a case where they are sticking out too much? Also I notice a slight shimmer around the borders of objects, would this be the jaggies I've heard about with CRTs or do I have a clunker on my hands?
    Last edited by teh_L0ki; 03-18-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teh_L0ki View Post
    But think of the 3 games or so that support it and how glorious they would look.
    Exactly. I'll continue to think about them while I play my other 1,000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Edit:

Just to clarify I should be able to prominently notice the scanlines or is this a case where they are sticking out too much? Also I notice a slight shimmer around the borders of objects, would this be the jaggies I've heard about with CRTs or do I have a clunker on my hands?
    Can you upload a picture of what you're talking about?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can you upload a picture of what you're talking about?
    I'm having trouble getting my phone to cooperate and that's the only digital camera I have on hand right now. I don't think the picture would help anyway because it would just show a still image. Playing normal gamecube games it isn't so bad, it was just horrible on the gameboy player but that's probably more attributed to the massive upsizing that the image would have to go through.

However my vision is very acute so I can see the scanlines even from six feet away. I don't think they are excessive becuase it's common to see scanlines if you sit close enough on a SD CRT right? I also notice this slight shimmer to certain objects but I think it might be just becasue of the TVs refresh rate and me being sensitive to it, and not an actual defect.

I can sort of notice objects maybe... vibrate a little? But again it's very subtle and it's probably just normal operation of the tv as the image is redrawn by each sweep.

I'm just neurotic and have nothing to compare it to really becuase I haven't used a SD set in over 8 years as I said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm having trouble getting my phone to cooperate and that's the only digital camera I have on hand right now. I don't think the picture would help anyway because it would just show a still image. Playing normal gamecube games it isn't so bad, it was just horrible on the gameboy player but that's probably more attributed to the massive upsizing that the image would have to go through.

However my vision is very acute so I can see the scanlines even from six feet away. I don't think they are excessive becuase it's common to see scanlines if you sit close enough on a SD CRT right? I also notice this slight shimmer to certain objects but I think it might be just becasue of the TVs refresh rate and me being sensitive to it, and not an actual defect.

I can sort of notice objects maybe... vibrate a little? But again it's very subtle and it's probably just normal operation of the tv as the image is redrawn by each sweep.

I'm just neurotic and have nothing to compare it to really becuase I haven't used a SD set in over 8 years as I said.
    Are you seeing scan lines (moving across the screen) or the individual pixels? What cables are you using?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you seeing scan lines (moving across the screen) or the individual pixels? What cables are you using?
    I'm seeing the scan lines, using AV red white yellows with a gamecube. Is this abnormal for this tv?

And around some text I see a swirly kind of effect... I think it's just the scanlines. My mom says it reminds her of neon lights and it has a kind of shimmer. I think it's normal though because I looked at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUZPex6Posk

and on it the scanlines are very prominent as well. So I think I'm just seeing the scanlines or weird interlacing artifacts as described by:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/video_signals.htm
    Last edited by teh_L0ki; 03-18-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds like you have the CRT on torch mode. try lowering the brightness and what not. I use a program called display mate to calibrate mine. hook up a PC to the TV and run display mate. it really does make a big difference.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sounds like you have the CRT on torch mode. try lowering the brightness and what not. I use a program called display mate to calibrate mine. hook up a PC to the TV and run display mate. it really does make a big difference.
    I'm planning to *ahem obtain one of those proffessional calibration dvds and put it through the works.

Oh and if anybody is interested the service mode code on the trinitron wegas is when the TV is off Display, 5, Volume +, On.

edit: while I'm convinced the scan lines are normal should I be notice weird kind of jaggies on borders of objects where it almost looks a little swirly? Is this just an effect of the technology or is it indicative of a problem?

edit: does anybody know the refresh rate on this TV, I've been searching and searching but cannot find it.

double edit: gamecube games look ok on it minus the shimmer thing I'm talking about (just on the edge of objects), but my gameboy player looks absolutely awful.
    Last edited by teh_L0ki; 03-18-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm planning to *ahem obtain one of those proffessional calibration dvds and put it through the works.

Oh and if anybody is interested the service mode code on the trinitron wegas is when the TV is off Display, 5, Volume +, On.

edit: while I'm convinced the scan lines are normal should I be notice weird kind of jaggies on borders of objects where it almost looks a little swirly? Is this just an effect of the technology or is it indicative of a problem?

edit: does anybody know the refresh rate on this TV, I've been searching and searching but cannot find it.

double edit: gamecube games look ok on it minus the shimmer thing I'm talking about (just on the edge of objects), but my gameboy player looks absolutely awful.
    wikipedia ad this to say about NTSC color

"NTSC color encoding is used with the system M television signal, which consists of 29.97 interlaced frames of video per second, or the nearly identical system J in Japan. Each frame consists of a total of 525 scanlines, of which 486 make up the visible raster. The remainder (the vertical blanking interval) are used for synchronization and vertical retrace. This blanking interval was originally designed to simply blank the receiver's CRT to allow for the simple analog circuits and slow vertical retrace of early TV receivers. However, some of these lines now can contain other data such as closed captioning and vertical interval timecode (VITC). In the complete raster (ignoring half-lines), the even-numbered or 'lower" scanlines (Every other line that would be even if counted in the video signal, e.g. {2,4,6,...,524}) are drawn in the first field, and the odd-numbered or "upper" (Every other line that would be odd if counted in the video signal, e.g. {1,3,5,...,525}) are drawn in the second field, to yield a flicker-free image at the field refresh frequency of approximately 59.94 Hertz (actually 60 Hz/1.001). For comparison, 576i systems such as PAL-B/G and SECAM uses 625 lines (576 visible), and so have a higher vertical resolution, but a lower temporal resolution of 25 frames or 50 fields per second."

read the rest of the article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC for good times.

as for swirly's i have no idea what you are talking about and would love to see a picture of one of them in the wild =)

also try backing away from the TV another foot or so. TV have a larger spacing between the pixels as they are desgined to be viewed from afar. compared with a computer monitor that has a much tighter pixel spacing as it is designed to be viewed up closely.

*edit* you could also make the screen slightly blurry to make the scanlines less noticeable also.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The shimmer around the borders of objects sounds like "dot crawl" to me. This is normal for a composite connection and upgrading to an s-video connection should solve the problem.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    The shimmer around the borders of objects sounds like "dot crawl" to me. This is normal for a composite connection and upgrading to an s-video connection should solve the problem.
    just wikipedia-ed that. kinda looks like the ps2 being hooked up to my big lcd with composite...... it was just .....garbage. the ps2 componenet cables helped, but not by much.

that being said my SNES and N64 are hooked up to the tv with s-video and i have no such issue.

my NES with composite doesn't exhibit it either. the cable he is using could be junk also. also he could be using ~ghasp~ RF