Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Default How is Play N Trade?

On the way to work yesterday I noticed a coming soon sign for a Play N Trade. I live in an area with 19 Gamestops within 25 miles of my home with the only competition being a craptastic CGX at the mall. South Florida needs some diversity badly.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if the company's any good. I hear they sell old games at least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm...didn't know you were down here too.

Anyway, which play n trade? There are like, 3 or so here now and from what one of the owners said, about 4 more coming soon.

The one in westin is ok. The one in west pines is alright, and I know the guys there the best. The one in Miami Lakes at Main Street is a fucking joke. Don't expect to find much classic stuff unless you want to overpay and a good chunk of stuff there is pretty shitty inkjet printed label repros that don't even try to look real.

Aside from that, it's the only place to find anything older than ps2 era stuff.

BTW, where is that cgx?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a Play N Trade near me... and I go in there once a month or so. My best find there so far was Contra III for the SNES for $9. All in all their prices are pretty GameStop-ish. They have a pretty decent selection of classic stuff... but don't expect to get any crazy deals. It'll probably take a while for your store to build up a good selection of classic stuff if it just opens. My closest store also carries a handful of classic boxed games too, but they're mostly commons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few PnT stores opened near me over the past year. At first, I liked them because they had decent classic selections and the employees actually knew what they are talking about. But the more I go in there, the more it looks like just another Gamestop.

I was at a PnT store a couple weeks ago looking for a 60gb PS3. They didn't have any but they did have a 20gb for sale. Only catch is that it came bundled with 3 Metal Gear games, an extra controller and they wanted $499 for it (it was actually marked down from $599). I asked the guy if he'd sell me the console only but he said no.

Another thing they do is hit the clearance bins at Target and Circuit City to replenish thier stock and resell at full price. 2 year old DDR Ultramix and Karaoke Revolution Idol bundles that were $20-$30 at Target are $60-$70 at Play N Trade. They do the same thing with Pro Duo memory sticks and other accessories too.

They do have cool stuff sometimes. Saw a complete R.O.B. once and they always have 2600 systems and games (although they're always dirt common). Everything is all priced according to Ebay though, so even if you find something you like, it's not worth buying. Like the beat to hell Madden CE cart I saw (boxed with no manual) for $30.
    Last edited by norkusa; 11-09-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The PNT near me is pretty good, the prices/selection are decent, but they never get in systems, all they sell is those Retro Duos. The main reason why they have such good prices is because they have to compete with a local chain and they are the only store.

It all depends, since these places are independently owned and operated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

I'm always in my PnT, usually several times a week... I'm on first-name with the guys that work there. I've landed several excellent finds and the guys are quite helpful and knowledgeable (and always willing to swap stories and bullshit when the other customers aren't around). They always cut me deals and slice off a few bucks from the rares and oddballs.

I guess it's just my shop, but these guys are on the ball... because of them my Gamestop runs have become fewer and farther apart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    hmm...didn't know you were down here too.
    I'm in West Palm Beach. Miami's like a whole other country.

Seriously though the furthest south I travel is Fort Lauderdale, and that's not often.

The CGX near me is in the Wellington Mall. It's not very good though. It's the type of store that only uses price tags for current gen games, anything older is ebay priced at the counter. And that's only if you can talk them into selling it to you.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

They opened up near me a few weeks ago. The prices on "current gen" games (PS2 era and above) seem to be on par with Gamestop. The older games are locked away in a glass case in the rear of the store, so it's difficult to really know what the price range of those are, though what little I did see priced was a bit high... ($8 for NES Ice Climbers? REALLY?) I was a bit annoyed that I had to explain to the clerk as to what "games for the black and white Gameboy" were, as he then pointed to some GBA games in the case.

It's a decent enough store with a good selection (they had 3D0 games, which stunned me), but the prices seem high, especially since I could get older stuff cheaper at the dirt mall down the road. I was also hoping they'd have some imports, like a PnT I visited in another state, but no dice. I'll give it a few months before I really decide though.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's another thread about Play N Trade here:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107129

Imo, prices on the newer stuff aren't too bad, but most of the older stuff is overpriced.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

The only problem with broadly discussing Play N Trade is that they're franchise based, not corporate owned. It's a serious case of your mileage may vary.

I have two in my city. One is actually OK; they do disc repair, repairs on older consoles(both come with a warranty), they throw tournaments, they have SOME classic stuff, etc. etc. etc. This makes up for their generally low level of current gen stock and their prices, which are usually exactly fifty cents lower than current Game Stop/Ebay prices. the owner is a gamer and has been known to whup his customers at Soul Calibur from time to time.

The other one is basically a thrift store horribly mated to a Game Stop. Everything is in terrible shape and over priced. It smells funny. The owners are rude and don't play games themselves. They tried selling me a copy of God of War II for fifty bucks three months ago.

You get the gist.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    They tried selling me a copy of God of War II for fifty bucks three months ago.
    And you said no? You obviously don't recognize a good deal when you see one I still haven't been to the one Play N Trade we have here in Maryland, probably because it's an hour away. But one day I really need to go check it out.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they ain't gamestop, so they get my business

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been to the one closest to me a few times and it's a good place. They got lots of systems hooked up along the store to try out their games. Though their selection of current-gen is low, their older-gen is pretty good (NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Gameboy, Sega CD, PS1, etc) They also provided CD cleaning and buffing services for your scratched and smudged discs. You may run off with a great deal, if you know where to look.

Some of their items are overprices, but the real kicker for me is the B2G1 on all used games. You can get 3 games costing 15 each for the price of 10 each.

Like somebody said before, its franchise based. The reception you get may vary from store to store. Just today, they offered me free CD cleaning and buffering service just before I bought the games and came out pretty good.

That's my two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Pac-Man (Level 10) theshizzle3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique View Post
    they ain't gamestop, so they get my business
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

However, I really enjoy th PNT by me, but I have been a loyal customer there since they opened about two years ago. I find that you just have to keep an eye out on stuff, and on occasion you can find a great deal on some of the older stuff.
    Looking to buy any Criterion movies that I don't already have.

http://cinemalacrum.blogspot.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Like someone mentioned before they are a franchise, which means the owners have freedom to handle certain things the way they see fit, unlike corporate owned GameStop which makes thier puppet retail drones do everying by the book or die. This can be good because you will find real diehard gamers running the store, not just over eager corporate ladder hopefuls or socially inept emo kids.
    The downside of this is, yes, most of them use Ebay as their price bible, so don't expect to find any major scores.
    One opened up near me recently. I went in when they first opened and just saw a small selection of common last gen games. I asked if they sell any classic games and they said,
    "well, we WILL be selling that stuff, we just don't have it now"
    So I asked if they take classic stuff in trade, they said,
    "Well, we WILL be taking that stuff, we just don't do it now".
    Ok I get it. They did have a Wii hooked up to play with NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams in it. The game had just come out and being an old Sega nut I was dying to try it. This was a good opportunity to test their game knowlege. I asked how this one compares to the original. All I got was "Oh, uh, yeah, you know, its good, uh, that was N64 right?"

FAIL

I saw where this was going, so I just played NiGHTS for a bit and left in dismay. I cursed that stupid owl all the way home.
    I put the place off a few months and went back when they had time to build up some stock. It looked like someone recently dumped off their entire PS1 rpg collection, and had a good amount of common PS1 and Dreamcast. They also had some random Saturn and 8 bit stuff. I saw a short stack of Jaguar games with Trevor McFur on top. I asked to see what the rest of the games were. He lifted up Trevor and, low and behold, there was Aliens Vs Predator for $5 loose. MINE!
    So if you can wade through the ocean of overpriced RPG's you just might find a deal.
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"

Insert Coin (Level 0) fuchikoma's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one in Weston is pretty weak. Their 'classic' colleciton is mostly PS1 GHs and sports titles. I managed to grab Armored Core 1 CIB for $4 though.
    MAX 330 MEGA
    PRO-GEAR SPEC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Xian042 View Post
    So if you can wade through the ocean of overpriced RPG's you just might find a deal.
    Luckily I own all the overpriced RPGs. Now it's the obscure RPGs I'm looking for.

But I get what you mean.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

The local one here is terrible. They have an overabundance on crap sports and PS2 games, which I cannot fathom how they survive on. Anything prior to PS2 at the store is trash and not worth the time.

Last time in, the employee followed us around and practically begged us to buy something, which says tons about their sales.

We've got close to 25 GameStops within 30 minutes, plus 3 other independents.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The one closest to me guts their games, has a small selection and their prices are generally identical to Gamestop, so my opinion is that they are a worthless addition to the video game retail landscape.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chrozi

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Luckily I own all the overpriced RPGs. Now it's the obscure RPGs I'm looking for.

But I get what you mean.
    Those, too, are overpriced
    "Oh my lord it's nutty, yup!"