Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Slow Wii U sales?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Brothers 3 has been announced for Japan.

Not only does this complete the lineup of classic ports from the GBA for this franchise on the Wii U while providing a way to experience the fine SuperNes remastering of SMB3 on the Wii U directly, but the best part of it all is that it seems to include the e-Reader content.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/titles/20010000008346

I'd of never bet on seeing that material be accessible here when this finally made its way to the Wii U.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 12-21-2015 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

How will that even work? Will the e-reader exclusive stuff be DLC? Will it be already unlocked? IIRC, the content was already present in game with the ereader stuff just unlocking it. So I guess this will just be the fully unlocked version?

And also because Nintendo is Nintendo, this doesn't matter at all unless there's a western release given that the WiiU is stupidly region locked.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    How will that even work?
    From what I've read, you access this content from the options screen that you bring up when you touch the gamepad screen or press the appropriate button to bring it up.

Will the e-reader exclusive stuff be DLC? Will it be already unlocked? IIRC, the content was already present in game with the ereader stuff just unlocking it. So I guess this will just be the fully unlocked version?
    There's actually more e-Reader levels than there are slots for them, so unless they modify original source code to rectify that or just include a portion of the lineup, they just can't release it with World E already fully unlocked.

Then there's the question of power ups and such that could be added to your inventory by swiping the appropriate card (Hopefully the Super Mario World cape feather is here for a big one), demonstration cards, etc.

And also because Nintendo is Nintendo, this doesn't matter at all unless there's a western release given that the WiiU is stupidly region locked.
    While region locked, this is strong evidence that we can expect this functionality when it does join the previous three Super Mario Advance titles on the North American Virtual Console.

It's like Super Mario RPG having been released in Japan last summer. Did anybody expect that to really stay there? Some actually claimed just that despite it being obvious that it was a promising sign that we could expect a rerelease in Western regions as well.

And sure enough, it was just recently announced for a European release despite some forum experts proclaiming back in August that it was unlikely to ever head westward on the Wii U after its Japanese release. And surely that seals the deal that North America isn't going to be far behind.

Unless NOA does something stupid and disables this functionality, there's no reason why it shouldn't be intact when we get it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-22-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Unless NOA does something stupid and disables this functionality, there's no reason why it shouldn't be intact when we get it.
    I'm reminded of the North American version of Megaman Battle Network 6 with both the removal of the Boktai tie in content as well as e-reader support. I know that was Capcom and not Nintendo, but there's history of stupid decisions resulting in releasing an inferior product because of stupid decisions.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I thought all of battle network was inferior

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I just sold my copy of SMA4 a few weeks ago. I'd be willing to buy it again if this announcement were also for a 3DS version but I don't see that happening.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How will that even work? Will the e-reader exclusive stuff be DLC? Will it be already unlocked? IIRC, the content was already present in game with the ereader stuff just unlocking it. So I guess this will just be the fully unlocked version?
    All 38 levels are unlocked from the start, so some minor modification to the original code must've went on to lift the limit high enough to accommodate everything.

The cape and boomerang can sadly only be gotten from mushroom houses in the e-World and can't be used in the main game. Minor gripe, but it would've been nice to run through SMB3 with the cape...

All we have to do is hope that NOA includes it when they release it (And doesn't do anything foolish like only include the content that actually appeared over here; America missed out on most of the cards due to the failure of the e-Reader over here).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-05-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 comes out today in North America with all of the e-Reader levels included.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...3_on_the_wii_u

Additionally, new rumors make it sound likely that Wii U fans will at least get the traditional Mario RPG entry that each Nintendo console generation since the Super Nintendo has received.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...ario_for_wii_u

If true, nice to see another decent game to look forward to. Even though they have yet to come close to matching the first two Paper Mario entries, it will undoubtedly be a decent game.

In a related note, I'm still surprised to not see a proper Animal Crossing here. If anyone had told me back in 2012 that Nintendo's biggest hit franchise of the 2000's would be skipping the Wii U, I'd of thought that they were nuts. Where as something like Metroid sadly has played out as expected by many, I bet more than a few Nintendo faithful that have supported this system aren't pleased by the continued absence of this one.

No commercial reason for its absence from a success viewpoint since it would've easily been a top 5 seller. And I bet even an HD port of the 3DS game would've done well (which as I understand it, isn't unlike what went on last time). Yet surprisingly, it sure looks like it's going to disappear without one.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-23-2016 at 05:07 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree completely with the above post. I love Animal Crossing, and I imagine that with the success the franchise has seen that it didn't make an appearance. It's not like it wouldn't sell.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Once Nintendo realized that the Wii U would pass by without much success, I think they pushed a lot of franchise plans off of it. There's some dumb Mario Party clone with Animal Crossing but that's it. The new Zelda will launch on NX and Nintendo seems to have spent a good part of this generation putting out HD re-releases.

The two success stories of the Wii U are Splatoon and Amiibo in general. Other than that it will fade quickly.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mario Maker is pretty sweet, and I would argue that Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart yet. Nintendo did a few things right with Wii U, and I've generally enjoyed the console.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Glad I held out on several of these as they got expensive. Almost paid $60 last year for Pikmin 3 for instance after I discovered it in stock at a local Wal-Mart. While it was the original MSRP and quickly disappearing at that time, I just didn't want to spend the money. Especially for a game that was several years old at that point, $60 felt like much too much.

And surprised not to see Skyward Sword here. Given that this is the 30th anniversary of the franchise, this overlooked Zelda title would've been a good candidate to rerelease with these. Can sort of understand Wind Waker HD being absent for now given that Twilight Princess HD is right around the corner, but Skyward Sword should be here.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-14-2016 at 04:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How the hell did Mario Party Island Tour get on there? That was by far the worst Mario Party I've played yet.

Come join us on Micro-64

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Because as they're titled, they're Nintendo Selects, as in Nintendo Select(ed.) They don't have to be good, they don't have to sell a million, that's why they don't call them Player's Choice anymore as that was the high water mark to earn that ribbon. Now it's whatever they care to re-issue to fill holes in their library or keep people buying games years later that scum on line are making expensive and harder to find than should be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just what sort of retailer is Video Games Plus? Are they actually a mainstream retail chain that carries some weight, or just a small independent store?

Casting further doubt on this past the poorly done illustration, lack of any other leaks, Animal Crossing being included despite being in the first wave of Selects five years ago, the out of date ESRB logos on the older titles, and Animal Crossing retaining the WiFi logo in its prominent front cover position, look at just how sloppy some of these mockups are...

I'm still crossing my fingers and it's possible that the retailer themselves did all of this for their own illustration in advance of Nintendo providing the necessary assets (And they state that they're for illustration only and aren't the final artwork), but this certainly doesn't look to have originated from Nintendo at the very least.

They don't release such unprofessional images as these to their retail partners.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-14-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Glad I held out on several of these as they got expensive. Almost paid $60 last year for Pikmin 3 for instance after I discovered it in stock at a local Wal-Mart. While it was the original MSRP and quickly disappearing at that time, I just didn't want to spend the money. Especially for a game that was several years old at that point, $60 felt like much too much.

And surprised not to see Skyward Sword here. Given that this is the 30th anniversary of the franchise, this overlooked Zelda title would've been a good candidate to rerelease with these. Can sort of understand Wind Waker HD being absent for now given that Twilight Princess HD is right around the corner, but Skyward Sword should be here.
    interesting, I bout Mario galaxy 2 new at work the other day for $20 (minus employee discount of 10%). when "P.C." edition, its going to raise the price to $30?
    well that's kinda silly...

I agree with the Zelda comment and I honestly am surprised that Mario all stars is going to be one of these, I was really excited for this on the wii before it came out, got it for x-mas or my b-day or something and the delay in the controls is just terrible, and then a week or 2 later it disappeared. I figured it'd been too long and not had sold well to warrant a re-release.

Zelda instead of this please!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    interesting, I bout Mario galaxy 2 new at work the other day for $20 (minus employee discount of 10%). when "P.C." edition, its going to raise the price to $30?
    well that's kinda silly...
    I don't think they will. Like you said, it makes no sense to release a Nintendo Selects version that's $10 more just a few months after the original edition was reprinted and again widely distributed.

This information comes from a Canadian videogame store, so presumably the US pricing will take the exchange rate in account and remain the same $20 that this lineup held the last time around back around 2012.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I still have my doubts on if this is real since it's exactly what I want to see and that often doesn't seem to align with Nintendo's strategic plans, but assuming that it is, there's a hint at NeoGaf from someone that's supposedly an insider that we can expect a 2nd round of rereleases this Fall.

Hopefully feeding my Wii U will be a lot cheaper this year. Has really limited my software library so far when most everything I want is a $40-$60 game.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-25-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I still have my doubts on if this in (sic) real
    It might not be very credible, but a friend of a friend who works in a Canadian EB store confirmed an upcoming price drop regarding the picture above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well if anything as sad as it may be, if you're not stuck up on having a players choice box, this is the time to strike on a system. No more being robbed be douchebags online charging retail, over, or grossly over retail for used and new copies of modern games 'because Nintendo.' If you had a WiiU and had second thoughts, or been holding out this long being a late or wait a gen adopter, it would be wisest NOW to hit it. You can't really guess how few or many these reprints will total and you could see just 2 shitty tiers of asking too much on Pikmin 3 for instance. MSRP $50, 1st print $100, 2nd print $70. Meh.