Thread: is this a SupaBoy V3 or just new packaging?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question is this a SupaBoy V3 or just new packaging?

So I have been meaning to buy a SupaBoy for awhile, as it seems to be the best option outside of paying hundreds for a custom portable SNES! I just went to buy one and came across this new packaging, and I have no idea about it! Could not find any info on it or anything! So to get to the point does any one know if this is a 3rd version with improvements or is it just a change to the packaging?
    Thanx for any help!!!

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/neogames...=1387166360116
    Last edited by MartyrOfChaos; 10-13-2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Wanted to try and make title more clear!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it's probably re-boxed because it matches their new style that the R5 uses. I suppose if I remember I could ask the tech and see if he has an idea next time we talk. If it's the v2, it's still an amazing device with just a few minor flaws, but one (the worst) being the d-pad can be fixed if you want to do it (I did.) You just need to get a cheap piece of electric wire tie plastic and sand it down to the right height so the d-pad rocks the 8 points instead of hitting up to all 8 which makes games act stupid.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I think it's probably re-boxed because it matches their new style that the R5 uses. I suppose if I remember I could ask the tech and see if he has an idea next time we talk. If it's the v2, it's still an amazing device with just a few minor flaws, but one (the worst) being the d-pad can be fixed if you want to do it (I did.) You just need to get a cheap piece of electric wire tie plastic and sand it down to the right height so the d-pad rocks the 8 points instead of hitting up to all 8 which makes games act stupid.
    Thax for the reply!
    Yeah I saw that fix of yours, its pretty great how simple it is, and it really will not cost more then a few cents! Its kinda sad that they could not have done that on there own really, I mean just put a rocker of some kind in there or something which is essentially what your fix does! asked the same Question that I asked here on another forum, and really all I got was who cares the FC Twin Portable is much better! I obviously already made my choice of which one I want! It just comes down to all I have read it seems like they both have the D-Pad issues, the due has that diamond layout for the buttons I would not enjoy that, and finally the Retro just seems to have a much much higher failure rate While the super boy seems the biggest problem is a audio buzzing!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm kind of curious why that thing would be better. I've held it before and it didn't feel better using it. The Supaboy in the very end with the few cent fix, and then using my reset button hold trick to swap in the SA1 chipped games just leaves it not running Yoshis Island, Stunt Race (runs for 5min), and SF Alpha 2. It's a short list, not a good one to not work, but very short and the audio, visuals are right, the system has a good enough speaker and screen too and it takes real controllers. It's not perfect but it was the first clone not to just disgust me so I keep it around for when the need arises. If they'd do a 3rd and it ran the failed games I'd trade up.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm kind of curious why that thing would be better. I've held it before and it didn't feel better using it. The Supaboy in the very end with the few cent fix, and then using my reset button hold trick to swap in the SA1 chipped games just leaves it not running Yoshis Island, Stunt Race (runs for 5min), and SF Alpha 2. It's a short list, not a good one to not work, but very short and the audio, visuals are right, the system has a good enough speaker and screen too and it takes real controllers. It's not perfect but it was the first clone not to just disgust me so I keep it around for when the need arises. If they'd do a 3rd and it ran the failed games I'd trade up.
    My main reason for wanting one, is really I just dislike the thought of lugging around a full size console to and from my friends & families houses. Light weight or not I do not like going behind my tv sorting through all the wires just to bring it to a friends house, and for my needs its just a huge bonus for my needs cause even if I do not have access to a monitor I can still just play it as is! It would just be weird playing it multiplayer without a tv, I've read player one has to use the console itself, and can't use a controller while its not hooked to a TV but u can use one for player 2, which I find rather odd, but at least it means u can do multiplayer without a TV! just a design choice that makes you go why is this a thing!

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MartyrOfChaos View Post
    This is the box I got earlier this year when I bought the Supaboy. Did not think it was a new version, just a new box. Any way to tell?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nickerous View Post
    This is the box I got earlier this year when I bought the Supaboy. Did not think it was a new version, just a new box. Any way to tell?
    As Tanooki Stated it seems just to be a new box to match up with the Retron 5!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does the Supaboy play repro carts? I was checking out some reviews on youtube and no one said if it would.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RPG_Fanatic View Post
    Does the Supaboy play repro carts? I was checking out some reviews on youtube and no one said if it would.
    Satoshi Matrix did a review on it, and he showed it works with the "Super Power Pak" which is a flash cart, so I think repros should work but I could be wrong I will try and dig for ya a bit!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Satoshi Matrix did a review on it, and he showed it works with the "Super Power Pak" which is a flash cart, so I think repros should work but I could be wrong I will try and dig for ya a bit!
    Ok so I was right and Wrong seems most do, but there are some exceptions, apparently Star Fox 2 Repro Carts do not work, so I am sure some others do not as well!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've got Starfox 2 and a one off of SDF Macross Scrambled Valkyrie and both work. Well Starfox 2 since it's made of Stunt Race pisses me off that it resets after 5min like a demo kiosk, but it works. I know the everdrive and powerpak works on it as well. It's not emulated, it's pretty damn accurate cloning all things considered. If they'd just tweak the last few bugs out of it for the larger box US-NTSC releases (SFA2, Yoshi, 5min kill on Stunt Race, and removing the need to cart swap for SA1) it would be damn near perfect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I ordered the new packaging one (V3 I guess looks like the Retron5) for 65.00 with free shipping. Can't wait!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ordered the new packaging one (V3 I guess looks like the Retron5) for 65.00 with free shipping. Can't wait!!!
    Meanie that was the one I was going to order isn't it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281466250773...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Meanie that was the one I was going to order isn't it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281466250773...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    That's the one I bought!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the one I bought!
    Yup I was right your a meenie

But in all seriousness no hard feelings, I just like to joke around a bit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yup I was right your a meenie

But in all seriousness no hard feelings, I just like to joke around a bit!
    No problem, I wasn't taking it seriously. The tracking number says I'll get it tomorrow!!! I wasn't expecting priority shipping as the free shipping but hell yeah!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem, I wasn't taking it seriously. The tracking number says I'll get it tomorrow!!! I wasn't expecting priority shipping as the free shipping but hell yeah!!
    would not be getting it for quite some time, decided to save all my extra cash for black friday! so would not be getting one till at least december, if you did not get it, someone else would have XD

Insert Coin (Level 0) SaturnHST's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They also changed the box for the Retron 3 to match all their other products. It has the same chopped-off-corner box style:

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really is an amazing portable. I have the rdp and fc 16 go, as well as the supaboy. The others take some fiddling to get the cart to work, but those same carts boot up the first time in the supaboy. It also works with my super ufo 8 flashcart. The others wont save to the sd card with it. No problem with the supaboy.