Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games That Give You "Feels" (Emotions)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    captaindoom666
    Steam
    captaindoom666

Default Games That Give You "Feels" (Emotions)

I found this interesting tumblr account through memebase and thought i'd share it with everyone and ask you what is the most emotional moments you ever experienced in games?
    http://gamingthingsthatgiveyoufeels.tumblr.com/
    Half Life 2, Legend of Zelda twilight princess and even games like Lost Odyssey (read through some of the stories you come across in the game. It will cause you to shed some tears), i've seen a alot of them.

The most recent heart wrenching moment I think is the end of Half Life 2 EP 2 ending. The voice actress for Alyx Vance captured the emotion of the moment as perfect as your ever gonna get and makes you realize why people want valve to finally release a sequel that ties to this story immediately to fix the wrongs.
    Last edited by Collector_Gaming; 12-09-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

The Walking Dead. No other game has made me feel like that one did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Heavenly Sword, gotta admit I couldn't wait to rip those scumbags apart.

Heavy Rain, just about every moment.

Original Halo "the first one only" when the orchestration kicked in during the big battles. They have never recaptured that perfect musical timing.

Quake 3 Arena ....gibs, gibs, gibs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fallout 3 is the game that has gotten ahold of me. So much promise... Not quite fufilled, but damn, the closest it's ever been. I must give credit where credit is due. When you are walking thru the desolate wastelands, with the background sounds, and such, it's just gives me that all alone feeling that feels really cool. It puts you in a certain vibe... Of course, then you start shotgunning fools in the head, and it becomes more of a comedy

Still, there are those certain times in the game, when you're exploring the wasteland, and there isn't anybody around, and it just has the apocalyptic feeling down pat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Suikoden (Playstation) was a noteworthy one for me.

*SPOILERS*

First the loss of Ted, as well the shocking departure of Gremio. Odessa's farewell really made me feel like I was alone now, and my duty to carry on the struggle against the empire with my fledgling rebellion. A lot of OMG TRAGIC and RAH RAH FIGHT THE POWER moments in this short, little game.

*END SPOILERS*

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) is another. Starting out on that rainy night, taking up arms for my fallen uncle.. the feeling I got playing this game is what made me love it so much. I guess it's more atmosphere than emotion I get from this one, but that feeling of being enveloped by the world I'm interacting with is one of wonderment.

Also, Kingdom Hearts opening CG sequence really makes me nostalgic over my childhood, for some reason.

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - the "Boat Song" gives me chills to this day.

Super Mario Galaxy: Melancholy story-time with Princess Roselina, and the game's ending was quite moving as well, especially for a Mario game. Reminds me of Pixar.

The ending CG sequence to Final Fantasy 8 when "Eyes on Me" starts, all the way till the credits are done rolling and the final scene plays. ALMOST MANLY TEARS!
    Last edited by SpaceHarrier; 12-11-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Journey (PS3)-the feeling of loss near the end if you get separated from a person who got pulled into your game and interacted well with you. Then the elation when you find them and go spiraling through to the end and then sadness as the screen fades to black.

Heavy Rain-there were moments.

Alan Wake-it was a slow build but near then end when Alan opens a box to find something from his past-that choked me up.

Flower

Dear Esther: not really a game per se but as I roam about taking in the atmosphere and the narration it gets me thinking and thus feeling.

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Journey (PS3)-the feeling of loss near the end if you get separated from a person who got pulled into your game and interacted well with you. Then the elation when you find them and go spiraling through to the end and then sadness as the screen fades to black.

Heavy Rain-there were moments.

Alan Wake-it was a slow build but near then end when Alan opens a box to find something from his past-that choked me up.

Flower

Dear Esther: not really a game per se but as I roam about taking in the atmosphere and the narration it gets me thinking and thus feeling.

of all the posts in this thread i agree with this one the most

also SUPER agree with the stories in lost odyssey, i've been recently playing thru it and just beat disc 1, i choke up a bit on a majority of those stories lol

of course the scene everyone knows about in final fantasy 7, the "holy shit he just killed____!"

deadly premonition did too, towards the end of the game when i knew it was over and i drove around saying bye to everyone

right now its just those off the top of my head
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chrono Trigger, Lavos depressed me, and the real ending made me so happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Journey, definitely. I went through the entire last two chapters with the same companion, and whenever we were separated, every single time one of us got to the next (for want of a better word) checkpoint, we'd wait for the other one. Got to the end of the game and it turns out this companion was a 17-year old Japanese girl who doesn't speak English. Doubt you'll ever get that experience anywhere else.

Heavy Rain definitely came close, especially when you discover the identity of the killer. Honest to god, at that point I had to switch off the game for half an hour to process what had just happened.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I can't think on any specific points, but becoming closer friends with some of your social links in Persona 3 and 4 really deal with real life problems that some people may have, so its easy to feel for those charcters as you learn more about them later on in the game.

Yes the Lost Odyssey stories. After I read every single one of those, I thought about what I had just read and just said to myself, "wow". I'm not much of a reader, but those things made me want to search them out within the game. One of the effects that made them even more interesting was the sound effects that played durring them so it almost helped you envision what was happening even more so. I asked someone who was playing this game, around when it was new, if they were reading them. They said they were just skipping them, so I told them they HAVE to read at least one of them, otherwise they would be missing one of the best aspects of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I can't think on any specific points, but becoming closer friends with some of your social links in Persona 3 and 4 really deal with real life problems that some people may have, so its easy to feel for those charcters as you learn more about them later on in the game.

Yes the Lost Odyssey stories. After I read every single one of those, I thought about what I had just read and just said to myself, "wow". I'm not much of a reader, but those things made me want to search them out within the game. One of the effects that made them even more interesting was the sound effects that played durring them so it almost helped you envision what was happening even more so. I asked someone who was playing this game, around when it was new, if they were reading them. They said they were just skipping them, so I told them they HAVE to read at least one of them, otherwise they would be missing one of the best aspects of the game.
    I agree on the Lost Odyssey stories, they were very well written and well translated. I just kind of wish they'd have voice actors for them.

If you appreciated those, you would probably like the memories in Fragile Dreams (Wii) as well. That game is probably one of the best I've played in the last couple years, and definitely good at evoking emotions. All the settings and everything are excellently done, though the controls can be a bit tedious sometimes.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I agree on the Lost Odyssey stories, they were very well written and well translated. I just kind of wish they'd have voice actors for them.

If you appreciated those, you would probably like the memories in Fragile Dreams (Wii) as well. That game is probably one of the best I've played in the last couple years, and definitely good at evoking emotions. All the settings and everything are excellently done, though the controls can be a bit tedious sometimes.
    With the lost Odyssey stories, I kind of liked the fact that there was no voice actor's for them. It kind of let me soak in the stories at my own pace, and gave me the feeling that I was the main character remembering what had happened in this past. Voice acting would have made me felt that someone else was telling me a story of what happened to my character rather than the feeling that I was remembering forgotten memories.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

The first Super Mario Bros. game. Man I got all the way through that castle, got the hammer and then - sorry, man. Princess ain't here.

That jerk.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Scotterpop's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

For me, music is a crucial element of emotional involvement in gaming (as in film). The best example I can think of is the Silent Hill series. Akira Yamaoka's music is the perfect accompaniment to SH's disturbing visuals and otherworldly atmosphere. It's the music in that series that really gets under my skin and possesses my imagination. It's some of my favorite music from any medium.
    Death to Videodrome! Long live the new flesh!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I'll +1 on Heavy Rain but I'll add something new too: Grand Theft Auto IV.

I'm not going to lie and say it was close to the same thing as Heavy Rain in terms of emotional impact, so maybe it shouldn't count, but I really was shocked and dismayed when, at Roman's wedding, Kate gets killed. www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlxPHd1gllA

As much as I was originally disappointed in the game (having loved San Andreas to death), I really, really got into GTA IV. Going through all the dating with Kate to progress the relationship really made that scene impactful, although watching it now doesn't carry nearly the same weight as watching some of those opening scenes from Heavy Rain would.

Anyway, just wanted to give GTA IV a shout out.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Has anyone here played To The Moon? It's on sale for half off at gog.com (75% off if you get the bundle it's in). Reviews look to be good, so I'm thinking about picking it up. From what I've read, it's exactly the type of game that would fit in this topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Legend of Zelda OOT

When you revisit Castle Town and all of the towns people have been converted to ReDeads. I've never felt so emotionally connected with a game until that point.
    WTB Clayfighter Sculptor's Cut Manual Only... PM ME!!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Bubble_Man's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Suikoden 1 and 2
    Final Fantasy VII
    Lunar 1 and 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dgdgagdae View Post
    Has anyone here played To The Moon? It's on sale for half off at gog.com (75% off if you get the bundle it's in). Reviews look to be good, so I'm thinking about picking it up. From what I've read, it's exactly the type of game that would fit in this topic.
    I had a friend recommend To The Moon to me and he was really impressed by it. It's on my shortlist for next year but I tend to put off digital only purchases :\

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Try Photopia. It's interactive fiction, and it's only barely a game. It takes about 45 minutes to complete, but definitely worth it. It's free to download and works in any Z-Interpreter (such as Frotz).

Download the Photopia.z5 file here.

There's a link to an MS-DOS executable at that link, too.

Even though I knew what was going to happen, it was still a bit hard to "play".
    Last edited by dgdgagdae; 12-31-2012 at 11:39 PM.