Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Historian Live

Default High Score 3rd Edition

Hey everyone..

I'm good friends with Rusel DeMaria writer of "High Score! The Illustrated History of Electronic Games" and is starting the 3rd edition of his book.

In an effort to make the book the best it can be he has started a Facebook group. He is looking for people who are familiar with the book to make suggestions on how he can improve and expand it.

If you are so inclined please help by joining.

http://www.facebook.com/n/?group.php&gid=59215804809

Thanks everyone!
    Community Manager for Acclaim Games Inc.
    http://www.acclaim.com

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

3rd edition? I didn't even know there was a 2nd! I have the 1st though, and I really enjoyed it. Wasn't 100% perfect, but it's still a good read and I recommend it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by old_skoolin_jim View Post
    3rd edition? I didn't even know there was a 2nd! I have the 1st though, and I really enjoyed it. Wasn't 100% perfect, but it's still a good read and I recommend it.
    My thoughts exactly. What changed from 1st to 2nd edition? I know there were some errors, like a screenshot for "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" on the Genesis page... At any rate, it's the ultimate coffee table book, and I'd LOVE to see a revised edition.

Gah, am I finally going to have to register on Facebook? Myspace was enough...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sent Rusel a couple corrections way back; I hope the made it into version 2 but I have no idea if they did or not. Does anyone know if version 2 was expanded? It's probably not worth it for me to buy it just to try to help out, but if it was expanded and I could get a cheap copy, well maybe...
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

From what I hear, the 2nd edition expanded on the European computer scene, which was admittedly left out of the first. As for finding a used copy, I think they start at around $40 at amazon, but I haven't looked that hard yet.

I loved the first edition, and will probably end up buying the third, my first edition has seen a lot of use!
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

I have the second edition. It does have quite a few good corrections and that larger Euro computer scene. I wouldn't say it was leaps and bounds better than the first, but it did add a few things that were sorely missed.

I hope Rusel can keep expanding well on his work, I enjoyed reading both editions of the book.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...re-3rd-edition

Rusel DeMaria started a kickstarter fund a few weeks ago for the third edition of the book. He's offering lots of lunches with industry greats of the past. Unfortunately if the goal isn't met, it doesn't seem like he will be able to get the book done. I believe partly he's forced to buy X number of books from the publisher to get this to happen, and needs to devote time to research.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I pitched into the Kickstarter project. There aren't ENOUGH books in this field, and this is one of the better ones.

Support!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought I had the first edition but looking at my purple cover copy it clearly states I have the second edition. I'm interested in getting the third edition and would like to know what changes will be implemented. But I absolutely don't do facebook so I'll have to look around a bit.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

I thought kickstarter was more for inventions, rather than revisions of existing products like books.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by buzz_n64 View Post
    I thought kickstarter was more for inventions, rather than revisions of existing products like books.
    Maybe it's turning into "Kickcontinuer" instead of "Kickstarter" - a way for people to get money to work without having to give product in return. It beats pre-selling, I'm sure - then you have people who want to know when their product will arrive (note how, at the time of this posting, the "sold-out" items on this Kickstarter project are ones where people will receive an actual copy of the book). There's also no shareholder-type of obligation - nobody else gets to share in the profits; they all belong to the worker. Great for little educational things, but tangible goods usually raise funds to do this through a little something called "stocks" that grants partial ownership of companies and their brands. Guess that idea is passé these days - better cash out my 401k.

In this case, the people donating their "go out to dinner" thing get a free meal out of it while the book guy gets the bucks. Putting peoples' names in the back of the book is also cheap. It's a big win for some, I guess, because they pass along all the risk for product development to someone else and don't have to give up any of the rewards on the back-end when the product starts to sell.

Reminds me of when Tommy Tallarico stood up at some game music orchestral concert and said "Thanks for supporting the cause!" What cause? I came here to hear music. If it weren't playing, you wouldn't be getting my money.
    Last edited by calthaer; 03-17-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The 1 2 P, I think his main focus of new material will be gaming year 2000 and newer, but in his video, Rusel said he wanted to put more photos/visuals into the book, I guess over all the eras. I have the 2nd edition, it's a great book. Frankly I haven't come across another coffee table book on video gaming that covers so much, and has so many pictures.

Well, the unfortunate reality is that it's extremely difficult to publish a book these days, and he's going to work on it seriously. As opposed to taking everyone's money just to do a print run. Again, while the donations are much higher, they're offering a large number of industry veterans. Due to expenses, though, since most pioneers are on the West Coast, it's probably not very useful for most people.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK