Thread: 3DO games in general

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 3DO games in general

While I love games from every era, I am most intrigued by 32-bit era games (Jaguar/PS1/SS/3DO/N64 for the most) Now, I do indeed have a 3DO and while I am not as serious about it as I am my Sega Saturn for instance, am interested in collecting original copies but do not feel the eBay prices are appropriate for most of the games I want, considering that, while I agree it is an underrated console, still believe that it has very few games I would consider triple AAA titles and scream 'must-have' (I currently get most of my 3DO gaming fix on through bootlegging). Do you think eBay sellers are overpricing 3DO games or is that the real price you would value them such as 30 for Wolfenstein 3D? It seems that most of the time they see the item listed by someone else and by that decide the 'real value' and mimic whatever the other seller lists it for, including the irony that all of them are sitting as BINs for years without any purchases, and when they do come up without a fixed price, it ends at a relatively low bid, like I have seen concerning Saturn Rayman.
    Last edited by Manhattan Sports Club; 02-10-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It all depends on the game and condition. I will say that if you are looking to collect mint complete 3do games, there aren't a whole lot of sources anymore besides Ebay and there seem to be fewer and fewer actual auction listings nowadays. There are also certain titles which rarely seem to come up on Ebay and therefore go for quite a bit when they do show up because there are still a number of 3do collectors trying for a full set. If you're less concerned about condition and have the time to search, swap meets and garage sales and Craigslist will yield some good bargains as I see packages of the system and maybe 20-30 games for $50-$100 or so on a very regular basis. Of course, chances are the games are a little scratched, but if you're just looking to play the games, that shouldn't matter too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Sports Club View Post
    While I love games from every era, I am most intrigued by 32-bit era games (Jaguar/PS1/SS/3DO/N64 for the most) Now, I do indeed have a 3DO and while I am not as serious about it as I am my Sega Saturn for instance, am interested in collecting original copies but do not feel the eBay prices are appropriate for most of the games I want, considering that, while I agree it is an underrated console, still believe that it has very few games I would consider triple AAA titles and scream 'must-have' (I currently get most of my 3DO gaming fix on through bootlegging). Do you think eBay sellers are overpricing 3DO games or is that the real price you would value them such as 30 for Wolfenstein 3D? It seems that most of the time they see the item listed by someone else and by that decide the 'real value' and mimic whatever the other seller lists it for, including the irony that all of them are sitting as BINs for years without any purchases, and when they do come up without a fixed price, it ends at a relatively low bid, like I have seen concerning Saturn Rayman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been collecting for 3DO for several years now but I only know of a few games that are actually rare and go for alot of money(Lucienne's Quest being the main one). What I would suggest is to pick the games you like or are interested in and if you feel their price is too high go for the Japanese import versions. 99% of them will play on any 3DO system and many are English friendly as well. But most importantly they are usually much cheaper than their US counterparts.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But the Japanese version of Lucienne's Quest (Sword & Sorcerery I think it's called) won't play. A small number of games that have quite a bit of text won't play.

I actually don't think that most 3DO games are all that expensive. There are a handful of high priced ones, a few in the $20~30 range, but most are cheap as hell.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mobiusclimber View Post
    But the Japanese version of Lucienne's Quest (Sword & Sorcerery I think it's called) won't play. A small number of games that have quite a bit of text won't play.
    Like I already said 99% of all games will play on any system but there is the 1% that doesn't and includes Sword & Sorcery(that may be one of the reasons the US version is so expensive).

I actually don't think that most 3DO games are all that expensive. There are a handful of high priced ones, a few in the $20~30 range, but most are cheap as hell.
    This is true but they are pretty uncommon in the wild depending on your area. I have found like three 3DO systems in the wild the last four years and zero games for the system. Ebay is usually your best bet and good deals can be found there as long as you are willing to look for them.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) jrokshady's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At gameexpress.com they have many new copies of 3DO games for low prices. Just a recommendation for you.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Just depends on what you are buying. Stuff like Gex, Madden or Fifa ain't gonna cost you an arm and a leg. Gex was one of the most common titles, the other two were sports games.

Stuff like Wolfenstein or Super Street Fighter II probably will.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    This is true but they are pretty uncommon in the wild depending on your area. I have found like three 3DO systems in the wild the last four years and zero games for the system. Ebay is usually your best bet and good deals can be found there as long as you are willing to look for them.
    I almost never see 3DO games except in dedicated video game stores or on Ebay. Store prices are usually all over the place if they aren't using Ebay as a guide. But since OP is only concerned w/ Ebay, that's what I was referring to. Most of the good games for the system can be had for $10 or so complete (or complete minus long box depending on game). The 3DO is probably the best system to go for a complete set on since you only have one $100 game (that I'm aware of), a fairly small library and not too many actually rare games. I think it's also easier (just saying this from my own experience) to snipe good deals on these games when they come up in actual auctions because there aren't as many people looking for them all the time.

Another great way to build the library, as I think someone already mentioned, is to buy lots that come w/ the system and a bunch of games. You can sell the system for around $100 on Amazon (I've done so twice so far) and keep whatever games you like out of the bundle.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com