Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Wow, it's over a year out of date.

Yeeeaaah... should probably update this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Bumping. Because I'm thinking of updating this thing (hah!) and it's a bitch to find old threads.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Wasn't Lock's Quest a non-RPG strategy game? Never played it, but I watched a full Let's Play of it some time ago.

Well, good thing is that after it was last updated in 2010, that was pretty near the end of the DS' main lifespan anyways.
    Once the 3DS launched in 2011, that became Nintendo's main focus.

So we can probably almost just list all the games since:
    Etrian Odyssey III, Fossil Fighters Champions, Okamiden(?), Pokemon Black/White/Black 2/White 2, Pokemon Conquest (spinoff, strategy RPG), Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2, Professor Layton and the Last Spector (I think. Was that the one with the extra RPG included in the US version but cut from the EU version?), Solatorobo, Kingdom Hearts RE:Coded(?), Lufia: Curse of the Gods (action-RPG?).
    (the remainder of games being Japanese, but obviously this list is English release only)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Only took a few years but finally updated this. Now for revisions. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    Wasn't Lock's Quest a non-RPG strategy game? Never played it, but I watched a full Let's Play of it some time ago.

Well, good thing is that after it was last updated in 2010, that was pretty near the end of the DS' main lifespan anyways.
    Once the 3DS launched in 2011, that became Nintendo's main focus.

So we can probably almost just list all the games since:
    Etrian Odyssey III, Fossil Fighters Champions, Okamiden(?), Pokemon Black/White/Black 2/White 2, Pokemon Conquest (spinoff, strategy RPG), Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor 2, Professor Layton and the Last Spector (I think. Was that the one with the extra RPG included in the US version but cut from the EU version?), Solatorobo, Kingdom Hearts RE:Coded(?), Lufia: Curse of the Gods (action-RPG?).
    (the remainder of games being Japanese, but obviously this list is English release only)
    Your list was very helpful BTW, I would have missed Professor layton

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great list, I'm glad you updated it. I like to look at it although I don't play handhelds. But damn, these Dragon Quests look so tempting. In don't want starting buying for handhelds too, on the other hand the kind of RPGs I like the most are in the last couple of years on handhelds.

I find these lists incredibly helpful. I used Press_Starts Wii RPG-List a couple of months ago to list the Wii RPGs I still have to buy. Unfortunately he didn't update it, but this is also understandable. It is time-consuming. The more info there is, the more time-consuming is it to confirm all the little details. That's why I didn't pursue my started threads about the 360 and PS3 RPGS, it would be a hell of work to update them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Great list, I'm glad you updated it. I like to look at it although I don't play handhelds. But damn, these Dragon Quests look so tempting. In don't want starting buying for handhelds too, on the other hand the kind of RPGs I like the most are in the last couple of years on handhelds.

I find these lists incredibly helpful. I used Press_Starts Wii RPG-List a couple of months ago to list the Wii RPGs I still have to buy. Unfortunately he didn't update it, but this is also understandable. It is time-consuming. The more info there is, the more time-consuming is it to confirm all the little details. That's why I didn't pursue my started threads about the 360 and PS3 RPGS, it would be a hell of work to update them.
    It's okay to have a few good games, you don't have to buy up the entire library. :P

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    It's okay to have a few good games, you don't have to buy up the entire library. :P
    Well said.

Here comes a noob question because I'm not at all well informed about handhelds: is there a way to play DS games on a regular TV screen? (I know there is for the PSP), and which system has the best traditional RPGs, the DS or the PSP? In other words, if I'd go for a couple of great handheld RPGs which system would you recommend?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Nothing official. Not unless the game you want to play happens to be one of the few offered on Wii U Virtual Console (and I don't think of the available games are RPGs).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Well said.

Here comes a noob question because I'm not at all well informed about handhelds: is there a way to play DS games on a regular TV screen? (I know there is for the PSP), and which system has the best traditional RPGs, the DS or the PSP? In other words, if I'd go for a couple of great handheld RPGs which system would you recommend?
    As much as I loved a few great DS games - you might be happier with the PSP. Like you said you can game on the TV and it really feels like having another PS1.

Crimson Gem Saga
    PoPoLocrois
    Legend of Heroes
    ZHP
    Ys
    Jeanne D'arc

all great games/series.

Plus Soooo much cheaper to buy for.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as I loved a few great DS games - you might be happier with the PSP. Like you said you can game on the TV and it really feels like having another PS1.

Crimson Gem Saga
    PoPoLocrois
    Legend of Heroes
    ZHP
    Ys
    Jeanne D'arc

all great games/series.

Plus Soooo much cheaper to buy for.
    Thanks so much. That helps a lot. I think I might go for a very small but exquisite game library for the PSP (like my ten game library für the GBA). This would be my first handheld I buy, but the kind of traditional RPGs are just too tempting. And then there might be others like Castlevania games I love so much. I have to look in more detail into the PSP library.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Thanks so much. That helps a lot. I think I might go for a very small but exquisite game library for the PSP (like my ten game library für the GBA). This would be my first handheld I buy, but the kind of traditional RPGs are just too tempting. And then there might be others like Castlevania games I love so much. I have to look in more detail into the PSP library.
    I need to buy a PSP that can do TV out - there's a few games I wouldn't mind covering for the channel.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I need to buy a PSP that can do TV out - there's a few games I wouldn't mind covering for the channel.
    Some great RPGs deserve to be reviewed, would be very good if you do that.

Reminds me that indeed the first version of the PSP couldn't be played on a regular TV, this was introduced in later versions. I have to be careful wehn I buy one to get one which has the TV out capability.