Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Info: Anyone ever shop at a Play N Trade Store?

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Need Info: Anyone ever shop at a Play N Trade Store?

Okay, I have the ability to open up a video game store franchise. It is a Play N Trade franchise. I have been reviewing the company for some time, but have yet to actually get a chance to shop in a Play N Trade store (next step in a long process).

My questions are simple:

Has anyone ever shopped in one of these stores? Are there any near you?

I just would like to hear the thoughts of anyone who has ever shopped at one or even had a problem, complaint etc.

If you never even heard of the company, please speak up as well! In a world dominated by Game Stop and EB Games, I was surprised to hear of this company and they claim to be opening up stores in the US every other day! Any way, let me know! Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101711

There's one by me and I stop in once every month or so. The prices are decent but they need to carry a lot more games because their selection is very light. They're the only store by me that caries NES & PS1 stuff though, so I really like that. And I don't know if it's a chain wide thing or just my local P 'n T, but they host tournaments too (just had a GHII tourney a few months ago).

Overall, I think it's a good store and it definitely feels like it's geared towards hardcore gamers. There's always people hanging out in there when I go in and there's plenty of demo systems set up for people to play (they even have a DDR area set up with 2 shiny new Afterburner metal pads). Employees are amazingly friendly and knowledgeable too and not dicks like the ones at the local EB/GS.

The only complaint I have is that the last time I went in there, I saw a *used* copy of Call of Duty 2 marked with some insane price (I think it was marked $39.99 or $49.99). Don't know what that was all about.
    Last edited by norkusa; 09-21-2007 at 08:01 PM.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101711

There's one by me and I stop in once every month or so. The prices are decent but they need to carry a lot more games because their selection is very light. They're the only store by me that caries NES & PS1 stuff though, so I really like that. And I don't know if it's a chain wide thing or just my local P 'n T, but they host tournaments too (just had a GHII tourney a few months ago).

Overall, I think it's a good store and it definitely feels like it's geared towards hardcore gamers. There's always people hanging out in there when I go in and there's plenty of demo systems set up for people to play (they even have a DDR area set up with 2 shiny new Afterburner metal pads). Employees are amazingly friendly and knowledgeable too and not dicks like the ones at the local EB/GS.

The only complaint I have is that the last time I went in there, I saw a *used* copy of Call of Duty 2 marked with some insane price (I think it was marked $39.99 or $49.99). Don't know what that was all about.
    Thanks for all the info. I am looking at opening one up within 1-2 years when things settle down, may be sooner, if I can plan the market just right! I have to finish my MBA first, then go from there!

I already have the money (no problem there), it just depends on whether I want to commit to it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say know your area. The one near me the owners don't know focus to much on new products. They do not try to get any old games in, the only time they did was when Rhino went out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a Play N Trade by me, and personally, my impression is that they are an amatuer GameStop clone. I doubt they will exist 5 years from now. I think you are better off not paying the franchise fee, and opening up your own deal. You can make it look real professional, make it look like a chain, but save yourself the franchise fee, and do everything exactly the way you would want to do it.

Of course, this is just my take after visiting a local one 3 different times. I was the only customer in there each time. I can't really disrespect them too much, considering I got a Dracula X for Super Nintendo for $14.99 from them.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

Two of them within a half hours drive from me (one in boise one in meridian) anyway not a big chain store guy and I get the impression they're alot like other chains, like gamestop etc. I did notice they had some teenagers waving signs on the freeway this week but still didn't stop in. Personally I like to shop at local stores or online I don't buy games from chain stores just individuals/mom/pop shops on or offline. Open a cool store like DP has!

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

My experience has been pretty similar to everyone else's.

It's funny; I walked in with my girlfriend and we just started laughing; the walls and shelves are all painted black, with neon blue piping... horrible. The wall closest to the door was covered in boxed Messiah Famiclones, though; not used to seeing those in a chain.

Light game selection, with a very small 'retro' section, mostly common SNES and Genesis games. This particular store also does repairs on PS2s and Xbox's; I don't know if thats policy or just this franchise.

All in all, it's OK. I tend to buy most of my stuff used online or new at Best Buy or the equivalent, though.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by G-Boobie View Post
    My experience has been pretty similar to everyone else's.

It's funny; I walked in with my girlfriend and we just started laughing; the walls and shelves are all painted black, with neon blue piping... horrible. The wall closest to the door was covered in boxed Messiah Famiclones, though; not used to seeing those in a chain.

Light game selection, with a very small 'retro' section, mostly common SNES and Genesis games. This particular store also does repairs on PS2s and Xbox's; I don't know if thats policy or just this franchise.

All in all, it's OK. I tend to buy most of my stuff used online or new at Best Buy or the equivalent, though.

Yes, the pictures of the store I got, don't look that great! I'm more worried about the type of products they sell,etc.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, perhaps you should talk to DP about opening up your own instead of a franchise first.

By the way, how much does a venture like that cost?
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

It is not a good idea to get into video game retail.

This is something to serious consider

Another thing is that Game Stop is put the stranglehold on the market, it is make it very tough to be successful and profitable.

I had worked in video game retail in the older days and a few years ago had considered a venture in video game retail and rental but the whole revolution of things like Ipod, on demand cable, XBLA and Virtual Console have made me realize that it would not be profitable.

Before long, you will start to see alot of these Game Stop stores closing up as well as alot of Best Buys and the like. They are not go out of business but today they are have many store fronts and will have to reduce and cut back to remain profitable. Many of the small ones will likely have to shut down all together. Niche shops that have been around can survive and continue to fill that niche but a new niche shop may not survive for long and be profitable.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post
    Yeah, perhaps you should talk to DP about opening up your own instead of a franchise first.

First, I am looking for any insight into this.

Those that know my background already know that I am close to finishing my MBA and I do have a few hundred thousand dollars in operating capital to start with.

To answer your question: the franchise fee is around $25,000.

Then you have to have enough capital for inventory, overhead, rental fees, etc. (yes, I am missing a lot-just enough posted to give you guys a basic idea).

One last note: I live in PA, but have never visited the DP Store. Stupid question, but where is it? I could probably find out on the home page, so I'll check it out. It may be worth the drive. Thanks again!

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfrider31 View Post

One more quick note:

In the long run, unless you already have an established name, franchises are better. They provide you with more training and support and they failure rate is so much lower than going it alone.

DP already has a unique and loyal following. Therefore, they can probably succeed on their own.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just in my local Play N Trade store and the owner just teased me with a copy of Halo3 that he recieved today. Couldn't get him to sell it to me though

PNT is a great store but I wouldn't open my own. He was busy in the summer but now durning the week i'm like the only guy that comes in. Used vintage games arn't selling either. During the weekends the store is just a "daycare" for kids with people just running up the electric bill and not buying anything. It's nice to have a store like that but nothing can compete with GameStops, they have already made there make on the used videogame stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting. A Play 'N Trade is going to open soon in the mall near me. Do they all carry Genesis games, or are they mostly just for current and last gen stuff like GameStop?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There aren't any Play N Trade's in Oklahoma yet, but my first impression of them is that on their website it says there is one coming soon in Edmund, Oklahoma.

Edmund is in reality spelled Edmond.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    There aren't any Play N Trade's in Oklahoma yet, but my first impression of them is that on their website it says there is one coming soon in Edmund, Oklahoma.

Hopefully they will learn that when they get there!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post

My personal opinion would be to be different and open a local mom pop type deal. anywho, you know what you want to do and go with that. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

P.S. Flack, you lost a shit ton of weight man, keep up the good work

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I'm no economics expert, but your store would have a bigger chance of making it IF you opened up a Gamestop franchise. The name's very recognizable.

Yes, Gamestop corporate is slimy as hell. But individual Gamestop stores are only as good as the people managing them. The two stores in my area have good business because the manager is always around to help, and most of their employees are decent folks. Gamers, even. In the end, it's up to you, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I'm no economics expert, but your store would have a bigger chance of making it IF you opened up a Gamestop franchise. The name's very recognizable.

Yes, Gamestop corporate is slimy as hell. But individual Gamestop stores are only as good as the people managing them. The two stores in my area have good business because the manager is always around to help, and most of their employees are decent folks. Gamers, even. In the end, it's up to you, though.
    Um,
    you can't buy into a Game Stop franchise....

It's corporately owned!!!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by neogamer View Post
    Um,
    you can't buy into a Game Stop franchise....

It's corporately owned!!!
    ... really? I thought you could open a store if you asked them. Oops?
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic