Thread: Video Game System Mod Situations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video Game System Mod Situations

Hi, it's been a good 4 years or so (I'm guessing) since I've logged in here. I'm wondering what the situation is as far as mods for improved video output of the various legacy systems go. For example, s-video mods for systems w/o s-video output originally, things like that. Up to component video. I don't know if there's HDMI mods for older systems now but I would be surprised if that was actually possible. Systems like GameCube, XBOX, PS2 and onward already have component video (or better) so I don't have interest in messing with those.

Also I read somewhere else that a TV output for the Sega Game Gear was finally figured out?

Curious what the current situation is with:

Atari VCS
    Atari 7800
    NES
    Super NES
    Nintendo 64
    Sega Master System
    Sega Genesis
    Sega Saturn
    Sega Dreamcast
    PlayStation

These are all I own, though feel free to list mods for other systems from this time period.
    Last edited by The Manimal; 07-04-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: to edit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also curious about the situation with portable systems. I don't think the Nintendo products are an issue with the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player around. But anything for the Sega products are good....better screens, Game Gear TV output...is there a way to chip mod the Game Gear TV tuner to get NTSC signals? That would be wacky and I highly doubt I would ever want to do that but it would be neat to see pics of it actually done.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atari VCS - Composite & S-Video (Modded)
    Atari 7800 - Composite & S-Video (Modded)
    NES - RGB (Modded)
    Super NES - RGB (Native), S-video (Native)
    Nintendo 64 - RGB (Modded)
    Sega Master System - Composite & S-Video (Modded), RGB when playing on a genesis of course.
    Sega Genesis - RGB (Native), S-Video (Modded)
    Sega Saturn - RGB (Native), S-Video (Native)
    Sega Dreamcast - S-Video (Native), 640x480 VGA (VGA Box), RGB (Maybe modded, I don't remember)
    PlayStation - RGB (Via the component cable, I think its RGsB as well)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Within the recent years, the Sega Genesis has become very Component/RGB and HDMI friendly. Someone is manufacturing RGB/SCART cables now that plug right into the Genesis and tap into the RGB signals. If you have an RGB monitor that is great. If not you can use a SCART/RGB converter that will convert and upscale the image to Component or HDMI video.

So basically you can have HDMI or Component on you Genesis (Or Sega Master System), without even touching the internals of the Sega or modifying anything.

Not sure about the other stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Within the recent years, the Sega Genesis has become very Component/RGB and HDMI friendly. Someone is manufacturing RGB/SCART cables now that plug right into the Genesis and tap into the RGB signals. If you have an RGB monitor that is great. If not you can use a SCART/RGB converter that will convert and upscale the image to Component or HDMI video.

So basically you can have HDMI or Component on you Genesis (Or Sega Master System), without even touching the internals of the Sega or modifying anything.

Not sure about the other stuff.
    What are you plugging this RGB/SCART cable into? Are you talking PAL consoles here? The Genesis 1 has an expansion port and a DIN-like thing (I think), and the Genesis 2 has a MINI DIN-like connection (I think).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal View Post
    What are you plugging this RGB/SCART cable into? Are you talking PAL consoles here? The Genesis 1 has an expansion port and a DIN-like thing (I think), and the Genesis 2 has a MINI DIN-like connection (I think).
    Check this out. They make cables for both the Genesis 1 style (the larger), and the Genesis 2 style connector (smaller one).

Not just PAL consoles. ALL Genesis, Mega Drive 1, 2, Nomad, X'Eye, and CDX. I don't think the Genesis 3 but don't quote me on that.

Not the expansion port. The cable just plugs into where you'd normally plug your audio/video cable.

Also, the Converter comes with a Euro style power cable, but you can use any standard 12V positive tip AC Adapter and it will work fine on it. I am using a Recoton Universal that's got the replaceable tips.

Genesis 1 SCART/RGB Cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Megadrive-Genesi...#ht_2371wt_930

Genesis 2 SCART/RGB Cable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Genesis-2-I...#ht_2577wt_930

RGB/SCART to Component Converter/Scaler:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCART-RGB-YUV-Co...#ht_1396wt_930

That is the setup I am using on my JVC X'Eye (Sega Genesis/CD all-in-one unit), and it works CRAZY good.

RGB/SCART to HDMI Converter/Scaler:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SCART-RGB-Vi...item335e6b1005

Not sure the difference in quality with the HDMI converter, but I would imagine it be ok. I just stuck with Component so that I could use it on my HD LCD and non HD 50" TV.

Also, note: I opened up that component converter and looked inside, and it has adjustment pots so you can tweak your image as you desire, although I left it alone since it already looked great to me and I didn't want to mess anything up.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 07-06-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi, I'm not sure how you go about things with those boards. Do you hook up a special cable to the DIN and mini-DIN looking jacks on the Sega units? The only thing I am thinking is that R, G, and B signals come off certain pins and that you are using some special cable to harness them to a outboard converter?

Sorry I don't understand these things to well.

And the results of using these RGB cables -> component or HDMI converter would provide better picture quality than if I were to have the units modified for S-Video, granting little point in doing an S-Video mod at the present time?
    Last edited by The Manimal; 07-17-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal View Post
    Hi, I'm not sure how you go about things with those boards. Do you hook up a special cable to the DIN and mini-DIN looking jacks on the Sega units? The only thing I am thinking is that R, G, and B signals come off certain pins and that you are using some special cable to harness them to a outboard converter?

Sorry I don't understand these things to well.

And the results of using these RGB cables -> component or HDMI converter would provide better picture quality than if I were to have the units modified for S-Video, granting little point in doing an S-Video mod at the present time?
    Yes, you have the right idea. The special cable is just like the cable you would normally plug into your Genesis for the audio and video. The only difference is the TV side of the cable is different. You will plug that into the converter - and then plug your component or HDMI cables from the converter to the TV (Since most US TV's don't have a RGB/SCART connection).

Beware though, some LCD TVs are incompatible with low res component video as I found out. My non HD TV works great with it though.

I know it's somewhat confusing, you'll just have to keep reading into it and watching videos and things about it. The more you are informed, the more you will understand.

Watch these videos, he explains it fairly well..

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOhntr-4xx0

Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZakQh...eature=related

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool View Post
    Yes, you have the right idea. The special cable is just like the cable you would normally plug into your Genesis for the audio and video. The only difference is the TV side of the cable is different. You will plug that into the converter - and then plug your component or HDMI cables from the converter to the TV (Since most US TV's don't have a RGB/SCART connection).

Beware though, some LCD TVs are incompatible with low res component video as I found out. My non HD TV works great with it though.

I know it's somewhat confusing, you'll just have to keep reading into it and watching videos and things about it. The more you are informed, the more you will understand.

Watch these videos, he explains it fairly well..

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOhntr-4xx0

Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZakQh...eature=related

I did find one video from a guy saying the RGB -> component video is better than the RGB -> HDMI video. I don't know if anyone else has experience to say that this is the case, or if it is just the case with whatever the guy used:

See here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6xxZ3j5uiM

Unless it is just that the RGB -> HDMI converter he is using is not very good at converting analog to digital?

Besides picture, I worry about LAG with current TVs obviously.
    Last edited by The Manimal; 07-17-2010 at 11:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah he's not the only one that said it didn't look as good either. I do recall some other people mentioning that as well. I guess with the HDMI converter, it depends on the box really. There is one that's got yellow or orange text on it that people say to stay away from, and one that looks basically all black on the casing that people say is good. Of course these are different people hooking them up to different TV's so it could all be a matter of opinion.

Phonedork does make some sense with it all though as the Genesis does not output in 720p so no matter what it's going to have to be converted, which will not be it's true original signal, whereas with RGB to Component, the conversion is pretty minor and the resolution is not even converted at all.
    Last edited by Oldskool; 07-18-2010 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zapf View Post
    Sega Master System - Composite & S-Video (Modded), RGB when playing on a genesis of course.
    The SMS has RGB right out of the box, just like the Genesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection