Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the buggiest PC game you have ever played?

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default What is the buggiest PC game you have ever played?

My award would go to a little known game called Zombieville. Oddly I suffered through this mess for many hours as I found it strangely intriguing for a good while. The randomness of the bugs seemed to allow for more progress at different sittings. The bugs seemed almost to add a new element of challenge to an already difficult game. My experience can best be summed up by the following review.

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews...le_Review.shtm

So say you, what game "bugged" you the most?

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Big Rigs: Over the Road racing.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember some early shareware version of "Blood" crashing quite a bit, but mostly when you got to the train level.

Other than that I don't think I had a problem, I either got lucky with the games, or I knew ahead of time to patch things up.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to say Daggerfall.

When completely patched-up and applied with user fixes it's tolerably wonky, but the original unpatched game was downright broken.

The main quest was incompletable. Lots of random crashing. Quests (more) often led to places or people that didn't exist, or monsters that weren't there. The level-up screen was the same as the character stats screen, and at any time you could actually go into your character stats screen and distribute points as if you had just leveled up (the arrows were hidden, but not disabled), so you could just max out all your stats up to 100 without doing anything. But then the game would freeze the next time you'd level up, because there was no way to exit the level-up screen if you had undistributed points, which you couldn't distribute because no stat could go past 100.

Skills were broken... if you trained up any single skill to 100, you couldn't gain any more levels. Guilds were broken... originally the Dark Brotherhood was unjoinable, and I believe also the Thieves Guild. Even Lycanthropy was broken, where you would turn into a stupid squealing Wereboar even if you were bitten by a Werewolf. Sunlight didn't affect you if you were a Vampire. And on and on and on...

Actually every Bethsoft game tends to be a nightmare (or at the very least a major headache) till they get a few patches in there. The worst game I've ever played as far as random crashing goes was actually Fallout 3, but I felt that was a bit too modern for this forum. Still, they're some of my favorite games, and I love them to death. You basically just have to grit your teeth and play through them, and wait for the official (and unofficial) patches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    TurboArkhan

Ultima IX, all the way.

What a disaster.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I rarely play PC games but I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream was the last one I spent more than 10 minutes on and it was pretty buggy. If you don't do certain actions or click on items in a particular order, it's impossible to finish the level and you have to start over from scratch.

Found this out after putting in about 3 hours on the first level and gave up playing. Too bad because it was a great game and had a real creepy atmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

World In Conflict.

I've owned the game for over a year now. I have never been able to play it without it crashing my entire PC after about 6 minutes. (I've got a pretty decent PC - Athlon X2 4400, 4GB 3200, 2X - ATI 4850's. Building a completely new quad-core this Christmas)

Patch after patch still hasn't fixed it.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 11-07-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Knight of the Old Republic 2 - The game is playable, but incomplete
    Gothic 3 - The game slows down no matter what specs you have. It turns out you need to install Gothic 3 font to your windows font inorder for the game to run smoothly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Big Rigs: Over the Road racing.
    Anyone who has played that game HAS to put it as the number one buggiest PC game ever.
    DERP

Strawberry (Level 2) Diatribal Deity's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It is quite interesting that many of of the titles mentioned so far were pretty high profile. Zombieville, hardly a notable or hp title, was ultimately a product of renowned Psygnosis. Battlecruiser 3000AD is another I own (never have played), that apparantly has quite a development and buggy release history.

I'm sure each has its own backstory; whether it be over amibition, budget, deadline, or combination of factors. Patches over time have become a necessary evil and acceptance. Yet it seems still a bit shady to release these titles prematurely.

As a gamer, I have come to expect the occasional bug. Heck, I've experienced them in high profile console games (i.e. Uncharted: DF). But I still wonder at what stage some of these titles got or still get the green light.

Strawberry (Level 2) cityside75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone remember a game called Streets of Sim City? This game was notorious for its bugs but I found it for like $2 new and I was eager to try stuff with my new 3d accelerator.

It was ridiculously choppy, crashed all the time, and couldn't do most of the things that it said on the box. It was terrible.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post
    Anyone remember a game called Streets of Sim City? This game was notorious for its bugs but I found it for like $2 new and I was eager to try stuff with my new 3d accelerator.

It was ridiculously choppy, crashed all the time, and couldn't do most of the things that it said on the box. It was terrible.
    And yet, the in-game commercials blow GTA's out of the water. I remember one time copying them all over to HD since they were only WAV files (in fact, Streets of SimCity had an option where you could add songs and other bits in WAV format and create your own in-game radio station). That's probably worth the $2 right there.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cityside75 View Post

I got my copy to play. But all I ever did in the game was attepmt a mission or two and mostly tool around a city I made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

If we're allowed to include freeware games, than just about every Sonic the Hedgehog fangame I've ever played. Every single one I've attempted to play suffer from the same problems; loose controls, terrible hit detection (There was one, a fighting game, where I got stuck in the ground right at the start; allowing Knuckles to effortlessly pound away at my defenseless character), and every game-breaking bug you can imagine.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

3D Bowling by HeadGames. It was beyond pathetic how unusable the interface was, and how impossible it was to even let go of the ball.

I managed to return the game, telling them "the game is so broken, if the disc was snapped in half, it would be an improvement"
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that any game made by HeadGames is guaranteed to be buggy.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neverwinter Nights to at release. My saves got corrupted...

It's all good now though.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmmm.....

I remember when I was 10 or 11 I begged my mom to buy me 3-D Ultra Lionel Train Town Deluxe by Sierra On-line. Sounds like a winner, doesn't it? I wanted to play it so bad and every time I played it on the computer it would crash.

I still have the game, and it doesn't crash on XP. I haven't played it recently, but I remember it was so boring and frustrating. Oh well.

I received a game called "RC Racing" or something to that degree from a relative for Christmas one year. I remember that it was made by the same company as another game that I had trouble with, it may have been made by the same company that made Train Town... Anyways, the game was so glitchy and broken. Everytime you tried to select a different RC car or a different track the game would crash. At the time I was not suprised that it was so buggy because of the other problem game. I remember the company's mascot was this purple monster-thing wearing green tennis shoes. Sound familiar? I think it might have been headgames as that name sounds familiar. I also think that it may have been an offshoot of Hasbro or another major company.

Wait.....

lol it's called 3-D Ultra Radio Control Racers and it was made by the same company that made Train Town, Dynamix Inc. Go figure. It was part of Sierra On-Line and Dynamix's "3-D Ultra..." series of games. Stay away from them if you see them. They're buggy and frustrating
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Sim Ant had a lot of bugs......lot's and lot's of bugs.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
    Anyone who has played that game HAS to put it as the number one buggiest PC game ever.
    Yup. Who needs a physics engine in a game? not us!
    My Import Game Store: Rising Stuff
    Famicom, Super Famicom, Famicom Disk System, Neo Geo, Neo Geo CD, Playdia, Wonderswan, and a lot more!