Thread: Got a 3 ds, thoughts

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Got a 3 ds, thoughts

I bought one along with ridge racer 3d and some ds games i wanted to play. I think it's awesome as hell. The 3d in ridge racer looks really good except fo some slight ghosting here and there. Its cool to see all of the environments blasting out at you in 3d while your racing along.

I made a quick stop at gamestop yesterday when i went for milk (yes i have a problem lol) and they had a demo unit playing street fighter iv 3D. I decided to give it a go and the first words that went through my head were holy shit that's insane. The 3d really stands out in a very good way on it and actually adds to the game the same way as it does in ridge racer. I'm gonna have to pick it up this weekend.

I agree that $250.00 is alot of money for a hand held console but its hard to argue with the 3d and the graphics which are also great plus there's all the other things. I have seen alot of mixed reviews aross the web about the 3d effects.

Beings that the games are launch titles i think well see much better 3d on it down the line. I think the same applies for graphics. Alot of people complain that wii games look horribe and some do but that has nothing to do with the wii hardware, it's the developer's. If you look at games like super mario galaxy 1&2 , dead space extraction and super smash bros brawl you ll see that the system is capable of great graphics.

When some of the summer launch games hit along with the new super mario bros game being developed by Shigeru Miyamoto,well see what the 3 ds is really capable of.
    I bet there's going to be alot of people changing there minds about what this system can do. I Just wonder how long it will take sony to copy it and if the sony npg will be priced competitively. Surly they cant be stupid enough to set it at a higher price point.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I like my 3DS but I have some issues with it.

1) Even with the WiFi off the batteries only last about 3 hours. Seriously, 3 hours. The TurboExpress had longer battery life that this. It wouldn't even get me through an average plane flight. That's fucked.

2) Most of the launch games are merely tech demos. I've played pretty much all the way through Pilotwings and Steel Diver and they don't really have a finite ending. You just "redo the levels to improve your score". It's kind of unsatisfying. (Although I also have Ridge Racer and I do agree it's pretty sweet). The system needs some games with depth.

When the hell is Kid Icarus and Starfox supposed to come out anyway? I thought they were gonna be launch titles.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

As cool as the system and games are, the most fun I've had so far with the 3DS are with the social side of the system.

Online matches in SSFIV, Street Pass, Find Mi, Puzzle Swap, etc.

I hope that Nintendo and developers continue to focus on that side of things, or at least don't neglect it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with you about the batteries life. But at least you can grab a nyco power pack for 30 bucks (with the cradle) that about doubles the bat. life.

I also agree about most of the games being tech demos. Back when everyone was clamoring about steel diver and how cool it would be i though how can these people be so stupid that they cant see that its a very slow paced tech demo. As for pilot wings I't basically the airplane game on wii sports with a few changes.

As far as release dates who knows. I was looking at the 3 ds release sheet at gamestop to see when mario kart and paper mario are coming and they were listed as coming out on the same day. There's noway nintendo would release 2 mario games on the same day.

I read that there cutting the wii down to $150.00 in the middle of may, I wouldn't mind picking on up as a backup in case mine bites it. I absolutely love Super mario galaxy 1 and 2 along with new super mario bros. Those alone are worth having a wii.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love mine, I think it will definitely be a worthwhile investment.

Super Mario 3DS, Icarus, and Zelda will all likely come out before a price cut, so I won't regret having bought at launch. I really enjoy Pilotwings.

I haven't used any of the online functionality unique to 3DS yet, the only online stuff I've done is Pokemon B&W.

I don't even really know what Streetpass is supposed to do. I ride the Metro in the morning, but I haven't seen anyone else with a 3DS.

EDIT: Blazblue is coming to 3DS! NO idea how I didn't know this. Psyched!
    Last edited by WanganRunner; 04-13-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, I'm holding off for now. Probably until Christmas at the earliest when new deals are bound to pop up in stores.

None of the current games interest me enough to warrant a purchase, and except for Kid Icarus, nothing is coming except ports of games I already own in the next few months. Although I'll still buying these ports of course.

Also the current colours are lacklustre to me, I'm wanting the green or purple we saw at E3. Nintendo usually release new colours as the holidays approach.

There's still plenty of DS games for me to play. I held off from the DS for about 2 years-ish (Got a silver lite) and didn't regret it.

Annnd, the slightly worrying array of bugs/design flaws people are reporting is making me thankful I didn't give into temptation.
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner View Post

I don't even really know what Streetpass is supposed to do. I ride the Metro in the morning, but I haven't seen anyone else with a 3DS.
    You don't need to do anything other than set up street pass to accept anybody who wants to share their system-owner-Mii with you and leave your 3DS in sleep mode.

Walk around in public spaces and you'll automatically collect Miis that you can use in two games/activities: Puzzle Swap (you collect puzzle pieces) and Find Mii (an turn based RPG type thing).

I walked around the mall one day with my 3DS in sleep mode and wound up collecting 7 Miis from passers-by without even knowing it. Pretty fun stuff!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    You don't need to do anything other than set up street pass to accept anybody who wants to share their system-owner-Mii with you and leave your 3DS in sleep mode.

Walk around in public spaces and you'll automatically collect Miis that you can use in two games/activities: Puzzle Swap (you collect puzzle pieces) and Find Mii (an turn based RPG type thing).

I walked around the mall one day with my 3DS in sleep mode and wound up collecting 7 Miis from passers-by without even knowing it. Pretty fun stuff!
    ^^
    Hm, if that's all there is to it then I guess I have been doing it properly, I just haven't collected any Miis.

I'd have thought I would catch more on Metro and around lots of people, but I guess all the lawyers and lobbyists aren't playing 3DS on the train.

I'll have to go do the Mall thing, that's a good idea. I need to go pick up Steel Diver anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post 3ds

I'm sure the 3ds is a great console BUT, the price tag is quite a lump. I'm not going to spend 250$ to play mario and zelda on a tiny screen while I can buy an n64 and ocarina of time for 5$ at a flee market and play it on a tv.(yeah, I'm sure the 3d's cool, but the novelty is going to wear of really quick) I'm perfectly content with my normal ds. I just hope we don't have another virtual boy on our hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

i got mine with pilot wings...i think the 3d is neat, but to me the graphics dont look that much better than my psp....battery life sucks.