Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New "Panzer Dragoon" to be Published by Microsoft

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's because it was an attempt to turn it into its own franchise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I guess that cements my initial impression based on feedback - "and nothing of value was lost." I'd still like to try it sometime, but the better Contra is on WiiWare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And the even better Contra was on the DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And the even better Contra was on the DS.
    Still not sure if that one really was up to Contra standards. In some ways yes, in other ways...ehh, those damn challenges. More work went into it than the old NES games for sure, but you notice little problems (and they stick in your imagination) when a game tries to do more.

Haven't played the WiiWare one (what a surprise) but it looked neat at least.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This fully legitimizes my thoughts on Microsoft being the new Sega.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    Care to elaborate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I was aware of that and Activision attempted something similiar with Modern Warfare 2 until an informal survey made them change their mind and keep the COD moniker. But unless future Hard Corps games fundamentally changed their gameplay and art style they still would have been widely regarded as Contra games without the Contra title. I couldn't think of that many examples(other than Project Origin which eventually got cleared to add the F.E.A.R. name before it shipped) but sometimes publishers do release certain titles in a franchise without using the franchise's name.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    Haven't played the WiiWare one (what a surprise) but it looked neat at least.
    It's certainly well worth a download (As are the other Rebirth games), but I can't imagine you going away more impressed with it than Contra 4 when you do play it someday.

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    You're a good ten years or so behind the times. Back then the original Xbox almost had the feel of the Dreamcast 2 at times with all the excellent Sega content being released at retail like Outrun 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and many others.

Now, what good classic Sega content we do get is usually digital and comes out on both the PS3 and 360 and only happens a handful of times a year. And it's usually a rerelease of existing content from years gone by when it does happen.

It's hard to imagine the Sega of 2013 ever putting serious work into something like a Outrun 3.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Yeah I was aware of that and Activision attempted something similiar with Modern Warfare 2 until an informal survey made them change their mind and keep the COD moniker. But unless future Hard Corps games fundamentally changed their gameplay and art style they still would have been widely regarded as Contra games without the Contra title.
    My point though was that it lacked the Contra branding in an attempt to create a new and viable franchise for Konami via spinning it off on its own.

What would be accomplished here with Sega being involved in a Panzer Dragoon title without the Panzer Dragoon branding other than to cripple its small chance of being a sales success even further (After all, the last quality attempt that actually carried the branding for a franchise that has become a cult favorite didn't exactly set the sales charts on fire a few years back on the original Xbox)?

Now if they were to have a hit game called Panzer Dragoon: Crimson Dragon and it was successful and they decided to make a sequel without the Panzer Dragoon title, that's another thing entirely. Consumer's would be aware of the relationship and they'd hopefully have a second viable franchise out of the deal that go in its own direction.

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I couldn't think of that many examples(other than Project Origin which eventually got cleared to add the F.E.A.R. name before it shipped) but sometimes publishers do release certain titles in a franchise without using the franchise's name.
    That's because they changed publishers and didn't have the rights to the F.E.A.R. IP until late in development.

It does happen from time to time (Although like you, I can't think of anything off the top of my head), but usually it's still clear that the title belongs in a specific franchise and that isn't the case here. And it's much more common for a game to be shoehorned into an existing franchise during development to increase sales than it is for it to go the other way around, but I guess that's besides the point.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-13-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Has much as I like Panzer Dragoon, I really dont see myself going all dance central doing hoola hoops and waving my hands for more than 2 minutes... ill stick with my saturn, thank you.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

It's hard to imagine the Sega of 2013 ever putting serious work into something like a Outrun 3.
    Especially with Yu Suzuki out of the company.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the original Xbox for Panzer Dragoon Orta (and got the Sega GT bundle). No interest in the new one, and no interest in buying a Kinect to play it.
    If you can't do it with 8 bits, you don't need to do it!