Thread: Hardships of modern gaming and Dead Or Alive 5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Hardships of modern gaming and Dead Or Alive 5

Life is frustrating... I have had so many highs and lows with my Xbox 360 over the years. I absolutely LOVE the games that I have for it, but HATE the overall experience of playing them on the 360.
    I'm sure everyone has reminisced about the gaming of decades past where you bought a game, put it in your system of choice and played. Simple, no? It should be. It's gaming. It's supposed to be fun. An escape. A distraction from the real world.

Then came systems with online functionality integrated into the core experience and my gaming spirit withered a bit. I had my Xbox gamer profile hacked a few years ago. I had to create a completely new account and lost all my DLC along with it. I'll be damned if I ever re-purchase it.

I've gotten by okay since. Although the experience of playing my 360 is still not great. I just recently got Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate for me and my son to play. We were excited. We opened up the game, put it in the system, and it goes something like this... Signing into your profile. Logging into Xbox live. Loads game. There is an update for your game. Signing out. Updates game. Restarts game. Designate a save location. (Okay. I only have the default HD. Why do half of the games ask me this?) Checking location for existing DLC...

By now both of our excitement has worn off a bit, but still looking forward to a few matches. Then we are greeted by this.

I have scoured the internet for a solution over the past few days. Ive checked my console settings, Xbox live account settings, deleted my profile and re-downloaded it to the console, even disconnected the console from the internet.
    I checked my other games like Soul Calibur 4 and 5, Virtua Fighter 5, Bayonetta and Onichanbara and they play fine, no issues. But, no matter what I do everything is crossed out on the DoA 5 title screen and I can't play a game that i bought new.

I've seen some ramblings about getting a Gold membership, but screw that, I'm not doing it. There is a reason I keep going back to the classics, and this experience has reminded me why.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Just wanted to post a happy resolution to the ordeal. I cross posted on the Retro Game forums and a guy got me pointed in the right direction...

So it appears that DoA Ultimate gets a free upgrade to DoA Last Round?

I'm totally okay with this, but it was quite the ordeal. I started off downloading the DLC it told me to download in the picture. I couldn't do it from the store front in the game and had to access add-ons in the Xbox dashboard. After downloading what it told me to, the game would still not work. So I downloaded all of the free (36 of them!) DOA Ultimate and DOA Last Round DLC packs. That got the game working and even though I bought DoA Ultimate everything in game says DoA Last Round.

I honestly was not expecting a resolution. Just wanted to vent my experience.

Now if you will excuse me. I have some DoA to play!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

My go-to for 3D fighters is Virtua Fighter 4 or Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. I dont own any systems newer than Xbox or Gamecube. I dont have WiFi at home. I know that if a console manufacturer makes a console that can't connect to internet, I will be the first in line to buy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    My go-to for 3D fighters is Virtua Fighter 4 or Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. I dont own any systems newer than Xbox or Gamecube. I dont have WiFi at home. I know that if a console manufacturer makes a console that can't connect to internet, I will be the first in line to buy it.
    Yeah. I hear ya. We don't have to worry about hacked accounts, broken updates or 10GB patches with those systems. I often have to remind myself that I have more games for those classic systems than I will ever be able to complete in my lifetime. But there is always some "newer" game that I really want to play.

I need to be more self disciplined. Only buy a game when I beat a game and stick to the classics to avoid the troubleshooting headaches.