Thread: RetroDuo Portable Video Review - SNES & NES 2-in-1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Default RetroDuo Portable Video Review - SNES & NES 2-in-1

Hey guys, I thought I'd share with you my video review of the newly released RetroDuo Portable. This unit is the third of the portable SNES clones, but is third time a charm? I've split this review into two parts - hardware review and games compatibility stress test. I should have the second part up tomorrow. When I do, I'll add it to this thread.

for now, the hardware review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1H-HhZNH4

And again, for those curious on my thoughts on the other two portable SNES clones:

Yobo FC-16 GO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elqLpKKWgC4

Hyperkin Supaboy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAxAu6kx7Zg
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

nice review....crap product.

Good SNES portables are like a jumping elephant...they don't exist.

just my opinion...everyone else is free to throw away their money.

thank you.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default As usual, MyTurnToPlay adding 0 value

Why is this guy still allowed to post here, again?

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MyTurnToPlay View Post
    nice review....crap product.

Good SNES portables are like a jumping elephant...they don't exist.

just my opinion...everyone else is free to throw away their money.

thank you.
    So, enlighten me.

If those are your feelings, why is it that you feel compelled to categorically/religiously respond in every iteration of every portable SNES clone thread?

Without diminishing you RIGHT to post ... why not just ignore these threads if you hate clone SNES hardware so much?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Do not feed the troll. It's best for all of us if we simply completely and utterly ignore MyTurnToPlay.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread with zero replies thus far!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Do not feed the troll. It's best for all of us if we simply completely and utterly ignore MyTurnToPlay.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread with zero replies thus far!
    Fair enough. I still need to watch your review, which I can't do at work ... though I will later this evening.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I tried watching it on mute at work with the closed captions on but that's a show in itself. I certainly had trouble understanding your comments about "public pollen" and "student market." After having watched properly, I definitely appreciate the review.

I'll tell ya, the face button problem is a huge problem for me. As an avid Mega Man X player, I've become extremely proficient at rocking my thumb across Y, B, & A. If I can't properly reproduce my play style on this thing then that's a giant black mark. And the D-pad thing is just plain stupid.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-15-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

one thing i think we're all forgetting here is that the y + a buttons are farther apart on a real SNES controller than the b + y, x + b, etc (I've got one here in front of me, I'm not making this up!). I also can't think of a situation in which the distance between y + a on the RDP would impede playing any worse than the gap on a real SNES controller.

Anyway. I enjoyed the review. Looking forward to part 2.

Pretzel (Level 4) understatement's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder if you could mod or replace the stock D-pad, maybe with one from an official SNES controller. I think the only reason official controllers don’t have that problem is they’re shaped like a top that teeters on the center point.

These things are starting to look a lot more appealing compared to the NES counterparts that I've seen.
    My Ebay Feedback My DP Feedback
    VVV Work in Progress VVV

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I wonder if you could mod or replace the stock D-pad, maybe with one from an official SNES controller. I think the only reason official controllers don’t have that problem is they’re shaped like a top that teeters on the center point.

These things are starting to look a lot more appealing compared to the NES counterparts that I've seen.
    You can't replace it with an official d-pad. I've tried already with a Pokefami DX, which is the "eastern" equivalent to this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Good review! But, man, that D-Pad with the center press contact issue seems troublesome. I hope they revise that.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-15-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice review! Up to 8 hours of battery life is awesome. Sounds like the better SNES portable so far compared to the other two. Still not totally sold on any one of these since they all seem to have different pros & cons.

Quote Originally Posted by nusilver View Post
    You can't replace it with an official d-pad. I've tried already with a Pokefami DX, which is the "eastern" equivalent to this.
    I'm a little concerned with the RDP's dpad and it seems like a potential problem with a lot of games. I'm usually 'thumb heavy' on dpads when playing certain games. So the Pokefami DX is the same where the center of the dpad can be pressed, basically hitting all directions at once? Is the Supaboy's dpad similar too?

Sounds like the included Retrobit controllers are great but I can't see myself using them much with the RDP. I wonder if the dpad from the Retrobit controllers could possibly be swapped to the RDP?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Maybe there's a way to epoxy a ball bearing or something to the dead center of the underside of the D-Pad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by csgx1 View Post
    I'm a little concerned with the RDP's dpad and it seems like a potential problem with a lot of games. I'm usually 'thumb heavy' on dpads when playing certain games. So the Pokefami DX is the same where the center of the dpad can be pressed, basically hitting all directions at once? Is the Supaboy's dpad similar too?

Sounds like the included Retrobit controllers are great but I can't see myself using them much with the RDP. I wonder if the dpad from the Retrobit controllers could possibly be swapped to the RDP?
    according to nusilver, the PFDX has the exact same dpad flaws as the RDP. The Supaboy does as well. Only the FC-16 Go avoids this issue, but the FC-16 GO also has the worst screen of the four.

Honestly, the two controllers the RDP comes with are so damn excellent they more than make up for the flaws of the built in controls. In fact, anytime I play it now, I sit it on its stand and play it with the controllers. The controllers are small and its really no trouble to carry one with me. Its a shame the built in controls weren't of the same quality as the stock controllers, but its clear they built-in controls weren't designed by the same people who made the external controllers.

Based on all the findings with Nusilver, it's pretty clear that the RDP and the PFDX are completely identical in every respect except for the external shape of the shell.

That makes me wonder. Nusilver, do you know who made the PokeFami DX? does the box have any company information or come with a manual of some sort?

Insert Coin (Level 0) nickerous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have not used the Supaboy or the RDP, but sounds like FC 16 Go is the best right now. The biggest thing about these machines, to me, are the units themselves. Video out, controllers in the box, and the ability to use original SNES controllers are all great, but if the portable aspect isn't up to par, then what's the point? I already have two SNES systems in the house and more than one portable that will emulate the games. I want portable SNES perfection. Honestly, I don't think any of these accomplish that feat. The SupaBoy has sound issues, RDP has D-Pad issues, and FC 16 Go has screen blurriness to go along with D-Pad issues. The second revision of FC 16 Go fixes the D-pad to a certain degree, but it still needs work.

Sounds like RDP is the closest to perfection, but it appears they need a second revision to fix the D-Pad issues and the space between the buttons. I have the FC 16 Go and plan on keeping it until one of these units hit phase 2...or lands on the clearance rack.

I absolutely love the wireless controllers included with the FC 16 Go, and if I were to play any of these without the on board controls, I'd want them to be wireless. Huge plus, imo.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    according to nusilver, the PFDX has the exact same dpad flaws as the RDP. The Supaboy does as well. Only the FC-16 Go avoids this issue, but the FC-16 GO also has the worst screen of the four.

Honestly, the two controllers the RDP comes with are so damn excellent they more than make up for the flaws of the built in controls. In fact, anytime I play it now, I sit it on its stand and play it with the controllers. The controllers are small and its really no trouble to carry one with me. Its a shame the built in controls weren't of the same quality as the stock controllers, but its clear they built-in controls weren't designed by the same people who made the external controllers.

Based on all the findings with Nusilver, it's pretty clear that the RDP and the PFDX are completely identical in every respect except for the external shape of the shell.

That makes me wonder. Nusilver, do you know who made the PokeFami DX? does the box have any company information or come with a manual of some sort?
    No manual included; the company is listed as Gamejoy Japan... a company which I can't find any information on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great review.
    I'm relieved to hear that the dpad issues are mechanical and not electrical, although that doesn't mean they'll be easy to fix.
    Adding a hard pivot point to the dpad would introduce problems of its own, such as pressure on the mainboard, or particles of worn plastic that could bugger up the screen.
    It's kind of a moot point for me, since I actually like the original RD controllers, and have never had a problem with the dpad on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

If you like the stock RetroDuo Controllers, then you really owe it to yourself to try out the RDP's controllers. They're LIGHTYEARS better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looking forward to the other half of this review. I'm still enjoying my Supaboy(audio issue and all), but I'm definitely interested in how the competition stacks up. Speaking of the Supaboy, couldn't you just get a 1/8" plug at radio shack or somewhere, without the cord, just the plug and put it in the A/V socket to use external controllers in portable mode? I haven't tried it, but seeing as the screen stays on even with the A/V cords plugged in, it seems like a viable option to me.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Culex4096's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eggwolio View Post
    Looking forward to the other half of this review. I'm still enjoying my Supaboy(audio issue and all), but I'm definitely interested in how the competition stacks up. Speaking of the Supaboy, couldn't you just get a 1/8" plug at radio shack or somewhere, without the cord, just the plug and put it in the A/V socket to use external controllers in portable mode? I haven't tried it, but seeing as the screen stays on even with the A/V cords plugged in, it seems like a viable option to me.
    When I had my Supaboy, you could still use controllers in portable mode. Though only clone and 3rd party controllers, unfortunately official Nintendo as well as Nintendo licensed controllers don't seem to work in portable mode. I don't know why that is, but it's really strange.