Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead Space: Ultra Limited Edition (Only 1,000 Made!)

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
    Under features they list

"Special Ultra Limited Edition packaging"

I don't think this is just gonna be a box full of items. And yes, just about everything but the lithograph will be available elsewhere. So what? It's an official release of a game that may really take off, limited to 1000 pieces, and comes in a special box. And it's Survival Horror no less!
    Sure it is. Look at the picture. It's the regular retail version of the game with a second box containing a DVD you can buy on Amazon, an art book you can get for free elsewhere with a preorder or $5 at Best Buy if you prefer, a patch valued at maybe 50 cents, a graphic novel which will be available at comic stores and a lithograph, the quality of which and potential availability outside of the set is unknown. This thing has been on sale for a week and a half now and hasn't sold out, despite being front page news on all the major video game sites. I predict it won't maintain its value because frankly, most of us who buy limited editions don't consider this to be one and I guarantee each of the component parts will be sold much cheaper once this game has been out for a few months. It's just a box of crap that comes with the game that they are bundling together for too much money. It's not individually numbered and there's just nothing exclusive enough about it to drive sales. If there were an action figure or a different version of the 360 cover art that really was exclusive to this edition, it might be a different story. As it stands now, there is not.

As I said earlier, Rosenqueen does this all the time. Putting a bunch of stuff in a box does not a limited edition make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    Putting a bunch of stuff in a box does not a limited edition make.
    All that was missing from making that sentence more true was: "regardless of how many there are, even 1000".
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Insert Coin (Level 0) DiabolicalAdvocate's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Again...

A TRULY limited edition like this of a meager 1000 copies ISN'T going to drop in price. There will be 1000 people who buy it, and they won't give it up, and then 1000 more people will want it and will pay more for it later. Eventually, a mere 10,000 people will want it. Please trust me on this. I don't care if you buy it or not, but the history of economics of truly limited editions simply proves this is "worth it".
    I agree that it probably won't drop in the long run because of the meager supply, but whether or not 10,000 people will want it is another story.

People will try to flip them for a while after they're released. If it does have potential for appreciation, that won't happen until most of the copies are out of the hands of flippers/dealers and in the hands of collectors. Also, demand will largely depend on how good this game ends up being, and whether or not it's the start of a new franchise. The horizon looks good on both those counts, but we don't know for sure.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Again...

A TRULY limited edition like this of a meager 1000 copies ISN'T going to drop in price. There will be 1000 people who buy it, and they won't give it up, and then 1000 more people will want it and will pay more for it later. Eventually, a mere 10,000 people will want it. Please trust me on this. I don't care if you buy it or not, but the history of economics of truly limited editions simply proves this is "worth it".
    How about the Robotech Battlecry Collector's Edition? And that's a far better set then what is being offered here.

"The package will include the game, a soundtrack featuring rerecorded music from the cartoon, a T-shirt with Skull One artwork, five cards featuring preproduction artwork, a lenticular motion card, and individually numbered dog tags"

And it only retailed for $65. They were only sold at electronics boutique, but were eventually clearanced out for $15.

Even the 2nd aniversary white xboxes from japan have steadily gone down in price, and they were each individually numbered xxx/1000.

This "deal" is anything but guaranteed to go up in value.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 10-08-2008 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, I can't see this being worth the cansh either, especially since nobody knows if the games is even any good. Now, if they knocked the production run down to 500, and included something trully limited, like exclusive levels or weapons to this verion that would never be released via DLC, then it would probably be worth the extra cash and a good investment because then it trully would bec ome something that wouldn't be available anywhere else excepth through this version.

Otherwise, this just seems like a collection of readily available stuff all packaged together for one inflated price. Sure there may be "only 1000" of these bungles put together, but it doesn't seem like any part of said bundle will be limited in anyway, maybe the bonus DVD, litho and patch will be exclusive to this version, but that still doesn't justify the extra money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    haasinhampton

this game looks so awesome!
    Autobots. Roll out.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

well I thought about it and I think I'm going to buy this. Every game variation I've seen with only a production run of 1000 copies (not including rosenqueen deals and such) seem to be worth it. Even the rosenqueen deals can be worth it. If you buy it and play the game and realize you don't like it, I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to seel it unsealed for pretty close to what you had already paid. It is true that a good amount of limited game sets don't really appreciate in value, but how often are they actually truely limited by that much? I know Metal Gear Solid 3: SLE had well over 1000 copies and that has been selling 2-3x its original retail price for almost as long as its been released. You were able to actually walk into the store and still find them on the shelf for a while. I think Joe is right on the money and I am kinda suprised nobody wants to jump on this, considering its probably the rarest game or game variation we've seen in this generation of gaming. 1000 is a very low number and it could only take a few months for collectors to decide they want it or wish they had it after its been sold out, especially if they look it up on ebay and see how much it has gone up from its original price, that alone could drive more people to want it because they are seeing how much it has appreciated in value.

EDIT: also when I go checkout, the page freezes and I have to go to the task manager to close the window. WTF!
    Last edited by mailman187666; 10-08-2008 at 10:13 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    well I thought about it and I think I'm going to buy this. Every game variation I've seen with only a production run of 1000 copies (not including rosenqueen deals and such) seem to be worth it. Even the rosenqueen deals can be worth it. If you buy it and play the game and realize you don't like it, I don't see any reason you wouldn't be able to seel it unsealed for pretty close to what you had already paid. It is true that a good amount of limited game sets don't really appreciate in value, but how often are they actually truely limited by that much? I know Metal Gear Solid 3: SLE had well over 1000 copies and that has been selling 2-3x its original retail price for almost as long as its been released. You were able to actually walk into the store and still find them on the shelf for a while. I think Joe is right on the money and I am kinda suprised nobody wants to jump on this, considering its probably the rarest game or game variation we've seen in this generation of gaming. 1000 is a very low number and it could only take a few months for collectors to decide they want it or wish they had it after its been sold out, especially if they look it up on ebay and see how much it has gone up from its original price, that alone could drive more people to want it because they are seeing how much it has appreciated in value.

EDIT: also when I go checkout, the page freezes and I have to go to the task manager to close the window. WTF!
    I would strongly disagree with your argument. My biggest issue with this release is that it's not really a rare game nor is it an integrated package, but really a pile of whatever EA could find that they were otherwise selling to put into these generic boxes they had printed. It's very similar to all the "limited edition" comic related collectibles that come out in runs of a thousand or so copies and never sell out or hold their value. If you compare this to MGS LE or Bioshock, both of those games had system specific outer boxes with unique art, as well as premiums that were both in demand and exclusive to the packages they came with. For Bioshock, it was a figure you couldn't get elsewhere. For MGS LE it was a third DVD you couldn't get elsewhere. This game doesn't have something on that level and yet it's priced at 3X what a typical game goes for once you add tax and shipping.

Expensive limited quantity games rarely hold their value. For example, look at the last five Neo Geo US home cart releases. It took Neo Geo.com almost five years to sell out and they still haven't on some titles. The prices keep going down and those were produced in a run of 500 or less each. Similarly, look at Steel Battalion for the Xbox. That was very limited and hasn't held it's value either. In fact, you can get a complete package for about half the new price now.

If you are a fan of this particular game or just really planned on buying everything it comes with anyway, then go ahead and buy it. However, thinking that it will only go up in value and trying to encourage others of the same thing is not appropriate or reasonable.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Electric Blue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    If you compare this to MGS LE or Bioshock, both of those games had system specific outer boxes with unique art, as well as premiums that were both in demand and exclusive to the packages they came with. For Bioshock, it was a figure you couldn't get elsewhere. For MGS LE it was a third DVD you couldn't get elsewhere. This game doesn't have something on that level and yet it's priced at 3X what a typical game goes for once you add tax and shipping.
    OK, I hate to continue our discussion of this both here and at CAG, but I think this statement right here gets at the heart of what you're arguing.

1)By the logic you've been using, you shouldn't consider the Bioshock LE OR MGS3 LE to be LEs. Both are the EXACT SAME situation as this Dead Space bundle, you have a LE outer box containing a normal retail copy of the game and other bonuses you can't get elsewhere.

2)Yes, the LE box on EAs site looks bland, but it is by no means finalized, and by the time it's released, I wouldn't be shocked if there were numbered and/or it said "X-BOX 360 DEAD SPACE LE" on the front of it, which would qualify it as a LE by your logic.

I think your hate of the price point here is blinding you when it comes to recognizing this as a LE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1)By the logic you've been using, you shouldn't consider the Bioshock LE OR MGS3 LE to be LEs. Both are the EXACT SAME situation as this Dead Space bundle, you have a LE outer box containing a normal retail copy of the game and other bonuses you can't get elsewhere.
    Umm, no. The Bioshock LE gamecase has completely different artwork than the standard retail version, and it says LE right on it it. I remember people complaining because it was so bland compared to the standard version. Also, the bonus DVD comes packaged in the game case as a multi-disc case, not in a seperate case or worse yet paper sleeve. It's not just the standard version thrown into an after market box like the case here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    Umm, no. The Bioshock LE gamecase has completely different artwork than the standard retail version, and it says LE right on it it. I remember people complaining because it was so bland compared to the standard version. Also, the bonus DVD comes packaged in the game case as a multi-disc case, not in a seperate case or worse yet paper sleeve. It's not just the standard version thrown into an after market box like the case here.
    the MGS3:SLE was the standard version thrown into an after market box also. I'm not so sure if the game case inside of the box will have an affect on value or anything like that.

either way I ordered one just for the hell of it so looks like I got one commin' in the mail in a week or so. If I don't like it then I'll just play it then sell it. If I lose out on a few bucks, oh well, shit happens.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Electric Blue's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by esquire View Post
    Alright, fine, but MGS3 LE came in a retail case inside another box.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

OK, I hate to continue our discussion of this both here and at CAG, but I think this statement right here gets at the heart of what you're arguing.

2)Yes, the LE box on EAs site looks bland, but it is by no means finalized, and by the time it's released, I wouldn't be shocked if there were numbered and/or it said "X-BOX 360 DEAD SPACE LE" on the front of it, which would qualify it as a LE by your logic.

I think your hate of the price point here is blinding you when it comes to recognizing this as a LE.
    I will partially concede the first point to you on MGS, but the fact that it had a custom box which made it clear that it was a limited collector's edition and a PS2 game makes a lot of difference in my book. It was also an integrated set meaning that the box explains what was included and it was specifically designed to hold the game as well as the bonus discs. Also, none of the bonus content was available elsewhere for purchase.

On the second point, my understanding is that the box pictured is exactly what they are packing everything in. If someone receives their copy and it's different, I will be happy to admit that I was wrong.

Finally, I could really care less about the price point. If this set was $100, I still wouldn't buy it for the reasons I articulated earlier. I have a pretty large monthly budget for game collecting and frankly, if they had done this thing the right way and put some thought into it, they could have had my $170 with no questions asked. By the right way, I mean designing a custom box and game insert signifying that it's an Xbox 360 limited edition and including a bunch of items that can't be purchased elsewhere. A patch and a lithograph just aren't enough to make this a collector's edition. As it stands now, I will be content to sit back and watch as they sit on top of a large pile of empty boxes hoping to sell out in the months and years to come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I still think EA set the ultra limited edition to 1000 so they can hype up the game and make hardcore gamer believe it is worth that price. With $150 x 1000, EA can easily make $150K. Not a bad marketing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

so has anybody ordered this only (standard or LE) and go it in the mail yet? it got good reviews and I want to see what people think about the game. If you got the LE package, I'd like to see what you think of that as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

I was going to order it but I guess it is Xbox360 only as far as Ultra LE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So they throw in some extras that are nothing special and not worth the extra 90 bucks and call it Super Ultra Limited or whatever? The game only costs 60 and the extras are 90? All they are doing is capitalizing on crazy collectors who will buy anything if there is a chance it will skyrocket in value or become some sought after object of desire (and I am just as guilty of this as most of you, within reason). 70 or maybe 80 and sign me up but 150 is retarded.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

This is a good bundle. I think the price is inflated but not by much. The art book and graphic novel aren't chepies. The Animated DVD is getting solid reviews. The box, patch and lithograph are little touches that add value. I'm only disappointed that I can't get the animated movie on Blu-Ray. Probably because this is an Xbox 360 bundle.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    This is a good bundle. I think the price is inflated but not by much. The art book and graphic novel aren't chepies. The Animated DVD is getting solid reviews. The box, patch and lithograph are little touches that add value. I'm only disappointed that I can't get the animated movie on Blu-Ray. Probably because this is an Xbox 360 bundle.
    Dude, the art book is available free to anyone who pre-orders at Best Buy. You can even just buy it boxed for $5 off the shelf and I would guess that if you wait long enough, it will be pennied out at Best Buy in the weeks ahead. You can buy the game for about $50 at Circuit City with coupon or potentially $40 if you get it as part of the TRU B2G1F sale this week. I'm not going to do the math because frankly it has already been done on Cheap Ass Gamer. The limited box, patch and litho are basically $50 on top of the game, art book, DVD and graphic novel assuming full MSRP on all those items which is not the real world, but it's not a good bundle by any stretch of the imagination. Also, the tax and shipping take it up to $170 most places, so I can't see how anyone is tempted by this junk.

Insert Coin (Level 0) fuchikoma's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Construction is very good. Lots of heavy reinforced cardboard. Feels like a hardcover comic anthology. Also came with a signed and numbered card from the executive producer.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for limited editions.
    MAX 330 MEGA
    PRO-GEAR SPEC