Thread: Vectrex on iPad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Vectrex on iPad

I might finally have to get an iCade for this. Who else is excited?

"In 1982 Smith Engineering released the Vectrex, a self-contained video game console that delivered cutting-edge vector based games to the masses. It was the first game console with a 3D peripheral. It was brilliant.

It was also released right before the video game crash of 1983, so the system that hit the market at $199.99 rapidly dropped to $150. Then $100. By late 1984 it was gone from the market completely. I know this because on May 1, 1984 I received one of these and every game that was available for it for my 11th birthday, and my mother got it all for under $100 from Toys 'R' Us.

My Vectrex was eventually borrowed by a friend of a friend who then shot himself in the head playing a game of 'Bet I Won't Shoot Myself in the Head' (he lost), and I could never figure out how to ask his grieving mother for my console back.

But I don't need it back anymore, thanks to Vectrex Regeneration, coming soon to the iPhone and iPad from Rantmedia Games.

The iPad is the perfect place for the Vectrex to live on. Its screen is about the right proportions, and with an iCade attached you're just a curly wire away from playing games like Star Trek in glorious black-and-white lines. Hopefully they'll be simulating the plastic color overlays that came with the games — oh yeah, this was one high tech machine.

Vectrex Regenerationis not only for those nostalgic for likely blood-spattered consoles lost. While the app will be released with all of the old games — more than 20 titles — free of charge, the loyal community of indie Vectrex developers will be supplying homebrewed games, available individually or through in app purchases.

What else? How about Game Center support? Multiplayer between two devices? Airplay to your Apple TV? I might faint.

The Vectrex is back, baby, and it sounds like it's going to be better than ever. If I ever get my hands on these Rantmedia folks they are going to get such a hugging.

Shit, I need to buy an iCade now."

SOURCE: http://kotaku.com/5928815/the-little...rn-on-the-ipad

More info: http://www.vectrexregeneration.com/
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

I'm jazzed about this app for sure.

If you have an iPad - get yourself an iCade, it's totally worth it for what's already available and it becomes a better investment with every passing month.

I'm really glad that it continues to be supported by developers, I only wish some of the bigger/AAA iOS developers (Capcom, Konami, EA, Glu, Gameloft, etc.) would add support to their software.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I'm all for Vectrex appreciation and celebration, this product is no different than any other emulation. Vector games lose something when not on a vector monitor. The Ipad's screen cannot do the super bright pixels or the light trails of a real Vectrex. The controller was unique as well.

That said, it's still very cool. If I had an Ipad I'd still get this app for the on the go and retro gaming support factors, but it is of little use to me at home. Original machine FTW. I just wish I could get a good set of repro overlays. Now that would excite me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Definitely going to look into this one, especially as my vectrex has recently bitten it. :-(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I'm jazzed about this app for sure.

If you have an iPad - get yourself an iCade, it's totally worth it for what's already available and it becomes a better investment with every passing month.

I'm really glad that it continues to be supported by developers, I only wish some of the bigger/AAA iOS developers (Capcom, Konami, EA, Glu, Gameloft, etc.) would add support to their software.
    Where is the love for Android?

I really hope they decide to put this on Android too as I don't have an iPad and don't plan on getting one. I love the iCade too, but again, no Android compatibility. Is there any similar kinda thing for Android?
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    Where is the love for Android?

I really hope they decide to put this on Android too as I don't have an iPad and don't plan on getting one. I love the iCade too, but again, no Android compatibility. Is there any similar kinda thing for Android?
    iCade is just a bluetooth controller. It works with any Android OS version/hardware/game that will support it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksmoor View Post
    I love the iCade too, but again, no Android compatibility. Is there any similar kinda thing for Android?
    It couldn't be for just "Android" since there's no standard between devices. They'd have to make one for each tablet...unless some happened to have the same dimensions.

Also, not sure if it would be an issue here or not but I know my phone won't connect over bluetooth to a Wii remote for example, while others can. There's really very few standards in the Android world.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...