Thread: GOTD 4/29/2016: Cyber Lip (Neo Geo)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default GOTD 4/29/2016: Cyber Lip (Neo Geo)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160428_215109.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	9020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160428_215407(0).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	9021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160428_215558.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	9022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160428_215827.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	9023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160428_220355.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	9024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160428_221051.jpg 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	9025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160428_221740.jpg 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	9026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160428_215239.jpg 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	9027

When I bought Cyber Lip for the Neo Geo AES some 13 years ago, the guy who sold it to me referred to it as "Metal Slug's grand daddy." I was pretty good on beat 'em ups and fighters, so that sounded great to me. I have to say, as much as Gunforce II is typically noted as the forefather of Nazca's Slugs, that description is still pretty darn accurate.

In typical run 'n gun style, up to two players can simultaneously run, jump, and blast their way through hordes of malfunctioning robots as Rick and Brook, respectively. These two commandos start off with the typical semi-automatic pea shooter, but quickly gain access to a nice little arsenal, such as fully-automatic fire, a wide spread shot, bazooka, fire thrower, and grenades, as well as helpful shield bots to circle and protect their little sprites. These weapons do not replace one another as in Metal Slug or Contra, though, but rather can be cycled through at the press of a button. Picking up more of the same icon will refill the corresponding gun's ammo, and there are also refill rooms sporadically that refill you completely. Like Metal Slug, though, you can only fire in cardinal directions, so screen position is as important as reflexes here, especially during the frequent auto-scrolling segments.

Cyber Lip's graphics are pretty average by early Neo Geo standards, and a bit less fluid animation is used than the norm. Still, the backgrounds look great and some are even pretty inventive, and the bosses are huge if a tad easy. The music is also pretty good, and the ending theme that accompanies the bizarre and interesting finale is quite appropriate for the game's dystopian sci-fi setting. Hell, the game even makes good on its name, which I had at first assumed was just nonsense words some Japanese marketing guy thought sounded cool, but damned if there isn't a giant pair of cybernetic lips to fight.

The common complaint about Cyber Lip is that with unlimited credits, it's a short, easy finish. Really, though, anyone who just credit feeds these kinds of games is missing the point. As a game, it's every bit as long as Contra or Metal Slug, and the challenge lies in beating it on one credit (or at least limited if that's not your thing), and played as such it succeeds as a quality run 'n gun that, while a bit unambitious, is still a fun playthrough with an amusing payoff at the end... even if it is best known as the centerpiece of a Neo Geo print ad where the first boss is made to look like a dude's erection while he ignores a blonde in lingerie to play it.

Played this one?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-29-2016 at 12:42 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I loved this game in the arcades BITD. I think Cyber Lip is criminally underrated. It's always been one of my favorite Neo Geo games and I think it's weird that it isn't more popular.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I loved this game in the arcades BITD. I think Cyber Lip is criminally underrated. It's always been one of my favorite Neo Geo games and I think it's weird that it isn't more popular.
    I'd agree with that. It's one of the less expensive non-fighters (I know that's not saying much, as that doesn't mean cheap), and gets bashed usually by being compared to a game that came out five years later that used a ton more memory, but its gameplay is only a tad slower than Metal Slug's, and its levels are very comparable in design and length. Plus, its terminator-inspired theme badly translated into english is plain fun, and I love its weird ending. It's up there with Legendary Axe II for me for awesomely strange endings.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Cyberlip often get's the label as a poor mans metal slug.Still i enjoy it i think it's fine for a early release i still wish even today it get a sequel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah no kidding about that ending. I really wish there was a sequal to pick up that dangling thread.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    Yeah no kidding about that ending. I really wish there was a sequal to pick up that dangling thread.
    That's if the current snk wanted to but i wouldn't hold my breath.Still the ending in cyberlip seem like a cliff hanger to me that begs a sequel.