Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eBay Feedback and DP users

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default eBay Feedback and DP users

I recently purchased some items off a seller from eBay, a seller that is a frequent user of these forums and I don't need to name names, they will know who they are when they see this thread.

My beef is the fact that when I got the parcel of goods I noticed he has charged three times the postage cost, $15 to ship 2 sms carts when the postage sticker shows $4.85. I usually don't complain when people charge a little extra, I have sold on eBay and better to be safe then sorry.

My question to users here is, what should I do, he refuses to talk to me and paypal don't care on postage costs, would you leave feedback on his DP thread if he advertised his auction in the "everything auctions" thread?

I don't want to appear an ass, but I would want to know if a seller gouges on postage before I bought from him.
    Last edited by Emuaust; 09-01-2010 at 04:24 AM.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Leave him a neutral feedback stating he triple-charges for shipping. Done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Neutral feedback on eBay sounds acceptable to me. I might go further and post in his DP feedback thread, especially since this person refuses to discuss the problem with you.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by Emuaust View Post
    My beef is the fact that when I got the parcel of goods I noticed he has charged three times the postage cost, $15 to ship 2 sms carts when the postage sticker shows $4.85. I usually don't complain when people charge a little extra, I have sold on eBay and better to be safe then sorry.

My question to users here is, what should I do, he refuses to talk to me and paypal don't care on postage costs, would you leave feedback on his DP thread if he advertised his auction in the "everything auctions" thread?
    The issue here is that you agreed with shipping costs when you purchased the items, even though you were not happy with the amount. Some will tell you this, and you know, they are right. However, that doesn't mean that what the seller did was correct, because honestly it wasn't. I understand that shipping costs involve alot of things (hence a handling charge). But to gouge so severely is very questionable. If it was me, I would charge enough to pay actual postage, a small handling fee, and if possible, at least part of my fees. But that should not be more than just a few bucks on top of what is actually charged. Of course, this all depends on the person.

Have you tried contacting them here on DP?

I know it might be a douche act to call him out on the boards, but other uses should be wary about these practices and bid with caution. I think I have an idea on who the seller is, since you mentioned "sms carts", but no matter who the seller is, they shouldn't gouge like they did.

I would call them out on the boards, on his/her feedback page, to warn uses. Because if this happened to you, it might happen to others, and people should be warned about said practices.

This might be irrelevant, but are you from Canada Emaust? It might be that the seller thought it would be costly to ship to Canada. In any case, he/she should refund part of your shipping payment.
    Last edited by megasdkirby; 09-01-2010 at 09:02 AM.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did he state his shipping charges up front? Was $15 in the auction details? If so, I don't see a reason to leave any negative feedback. This is something people on eBay have been doing since it started, to limit the amount of money eBay takes out for fees.

Now if he said "actual shipping charges" and you found out after the auction ended that it was 3 times more than you expected, then I could see your beef. Or he initially told you $5 and then were surprised with "oops, it's $15 and not $5."

I personally never ever bid on anything where I don't know the shipping charges before an item has ended. If it doesn't list the charges, I send the user a message requesting an estimate. To date (since 1999), I have never left or received a negative feedback on eBay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by TheDomesticInstitution View Post
    Did he state his shipping charges up front? Was $15 in the auction details? If so, I don't see a reason to leave any negative feedback. This is something people on eBay have been doing since it started, to limit the amount of money eBay takes out for fees.
    I agree. A negative should not be given in this case. However, I would still warn other uses about the sellers practices. If this would happen to me, I would accept the shipping charges, even though I am not happy with them. Why? Because I agreed to pay regardless. I would, however, warn others that said seller does this act, so they can know in advance. But I would not leave negative feedback. This is what DSR's are for.

Now if he said "actual shipping charges" and you found out after the auction ended that it was 3 times more than you expected, then I could see your beef. Or he initially told you $5 and then were surprised with "oops, it's $15 and not $5."
    If I am not mistaken, this could be considered fee circumvention, right?

I personally never ever bid on anything where I don't know the shipping charges before an item has ended. If it doesn't list the charges, I send the user a message requesting an estimate. To date (since 1999), I have never left or received a negative feedback on eBay.
    Yes, it is always best to contact the seller to have an idea on shipping charges before bidding. For a UPS battery I was interested in, the seller was charging me $10 shipping plus $5 handling charge, something that the seller never listed in his listing. Because of this, I did not purchase anything from the seller and got the battery here, which ended up being cheaper in the end.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    I'm not condoning it, I've never done it, but "Welcome to Ebay."

I still see no problem paying $15 for shipping if it's made clear up front. Final prices are usually adjusted accordingly in regards to high shipping prices. I will not bid past a certain amount if the shipping charges are outrageous. Caveat Emptor.

If item A is identical to item B, but Item B costs $10 more to ship, I'll bid $10 less on item B.

If I go into an antique store and I see a copy of contra for $25 bucks, when I know I can get it for $15 here, whose fault is it? Do I contact the better business bureau because their prices are above "Retail," after buying it anyway?" Or do I just not buy it?

Again I'm not excusing shady business practices, I'm just saying I avoid them.

Let me restate my original point just in case it gets lost in my ramblings: If the buyer was aware of the shipping costs up front before bidding, and then the seller changed the price after the auction closed, then the seller deserves a negative feedback. The seller is absolutely wrong. Knowing the shipping costs before hand, bidding accordingly, and then giving the seller a negative is wrong too. And when I say "wrong," I mean only TDI's personal definition of wrong. Not the Roman-Catholic, Vatican approved definition of "wrong."
    Last edited by TheDomesticInstitution; 09-01-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought that eBay limited shipping costs to $4 for a video game?

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Definitely. I had one seller try this once recently (said one price then gouced the price after listings ended). Everything panned out great at the end, but sometimes sellers think that because one lives outside the US, that shipping will be very high, which is not the case. It's a very common misconception of Ebay sellers.

But yeah, if the seller stated shipping costs before the listing was over, and the buyer placed a bid, the buyer has to accept, even if they don't like it. In this situation, I would at least warn other users about such practices, but I would not give a negative. At most, I would rate his DSR's accordingly with either positive or neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Yakapucci View Post
    I thought that eBay limited shipping costs to $4 for a video game?

JY
    I'm pretty sure that sellers know a way to go around this. Not sure, though.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

If it was me, I would charge enough to pay actual postage, a small handling fee, and if possible, at least part of my fees. But that should not be more than just a few bucks on top of what is actually charged. Of course, this all depends on the person.

Your own 'how I'd do it' is a fee circumvention. You are not allowed by eBay to charge extra in shipping for the fees you incur for doing business on ebay/PayPal. You're selling an item, it will cost you in some form, its called the cost of doing business. If it's too expensive for you, then don't do it, instead of raping your customers for a 'few bucks on top of what is actually charged'. How do I know that your few bucks isn't an additional 10 bucks.

Emu, what it comes down to is was it listed in the auction as $15 bucks shipping, or was that a number that the seller shot out once they found out they were shipping over seas (assuming this package was actually shipped to Emu's Australian home). The only other thing you can do is report the auction to eBay for excessive shipping charges, it won't get the money back, but it'll flag the seller for a time.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    MegaSDKirby STFU
    OH SNAP!

#vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Your own 'how I'd do it' is a fee circumvention. You are not allowed by eBay to charge extra in shipping for the fees you incur for doing business on ebay/PayPal. You're selling an item, it will cost you in some form, its called the cost of doing business. If it's too expensive for you, then don't do it, instead of raping your customers for a 'few bucks on top of what is actually charged'. How do I know that your few bucks isn't an additional 10 bucks.
    Because it should be listed in the auctions. A seller should state that it will cost X amount for shipping but that they will charge Y amount for "handling". For instance $5 shipping plus maybe $1 or so for handling. I don't see this as circumvention because I would clearly state it in the listing and Ebay does permit a "handling fee", let it be moderate.

But if a seller charges $5 handling fee, this is what I call circumvention of fees. $1 or so shouldn't be considered, since it's permitted on Ebay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/....html#shipping

As long as it's listed in the auction, it's fine. Not like that guy trying to sell me that UPS battery, as mentioned before.

To GAC:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lots of sellers have high shipping to avoid fees since ebay (and maybe paypal?) doesn't take out for shipping costs. If the auction said 15 for shipping when you paid for 2 sms games did you really think it was cost that much? A medium flat rate box only costs $11 to ship.
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Because it should be listed in the auctions. A seller should state that it will cost X amount for shipping but that they will charge Y amount for "handling". For instance $5 shipping plus maybe $1 or so for handling. I don't see this as circumvention because I would clearly state it in the listing and Ebay does permit a "handling fee", let it be moderate.

But if a seller charges $5 handling fee, this is what I call circumvention of fees. $1 or so shouldn't be considered, since it's permitted on Ebay:
    It's nice that you're glossing over things you said. What about those eBay fees that you're trying to make back. Those are totally 'handling' charges right?
    I'm not talking about insurance, which unless required by the seller (which is listed in the auction, and comes up as a separate charge after shipping when you go to pay) you're talking about tossing a couple of bucks into the 'handling' bucket. Again, 1 dollar is not a couple. Handling is to pay for the processing of the package to the post office and of course its subjective. Over time people have come to make it for that drive of the package, the box/packing materials itself and the zone where they try to make their fees back.

It's good to know you do that yourself, while you go after people who try to take you on shipping because they think they are going to be shipping overseas, instead of through the USPS which does cover PR. Maybe those sellers are just trying to cover their costs too....
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Bring it up with the seller, if he doesn't respond mention in feedback and rate him low on shipping costs score.

Done.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

It's nice that you're glossing over things you said. What about those eBay fees that you're trying to make back. Those are totally 'handling' charges right?
    I'm not talking about insurance, which unless required by the seller (which is listed in the auction, and comes up as a separate charge after shipping when you go to pay) you're talking about tossing a couple of bucks into the 'handling' bucket. Again, 1 dollar is not a couple. Handling is to pay for the processing of the package to the post office and of course its subjective. Over time people have come to make it for that drive of the package, the box/packing materials itself and the zone where they try to make their fees back.

It's good to know you do that yourself, while you go after people who try to take you on shipping because they think they are going to be shipping overseas, instead of through the USPS which does cover PR. Maybe those sellers are just trying to cover their costs too....
    I never charge more than I ask. In fact, I loose on shipping charges because I undercharge, as in the case in Amazon and GameGavel. The most I've "overcharge" on shipping is...50 cents? That's because when I send an item, that is what is left over.

I'm not going to gouge a buyer for extra fees, because quite frankly (and as I've stated in the past, which if you like you can check for yourself on my post history) if I am selling, I'm assuming all fees to myself. The most I've done, and I admit has gone no where, is to request a 3% fee if sending payment via Paypal through a non-gift method. But I took that out because I realized it wasn't worth it.

I've never charged a handling fee, and you can feel free to contact those I've sold as proof.

So please don't jump to conclusions. What's more, I actually pay MORE when I buy things and it does not bother me at all. I am also willing to pay extra for services like Insurance and Signature Confirmation, as many can state as well.

A seller can feel free to charge an adequate handling fee if they like, just not excessive.

And also, some charge alot more solely because they think it's international when it isn't. This is a classic misconception, which plagues Hawaii and Alaska as well. Many sellers think that if it's not in the continental US, then it has to be infinitely expensive. What they don't realize is that PR/HI/AK is part of the US so it shares same services and basic rates. However, since each is separated by zones, shipping via certain methods, like Priority Mail, is quite different. A package from Florida to PR via Priority Mail might be, say $6, while from Florida to Washington or California might be, say, $9. Check it out if you like, you'd be surprise at how USPS does things.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've never charged a handling fee, and you can feel free to contact those I've sold as proof.
    I have no personal beef with you, but this thread is not about you and your practices.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

I have only read the first post of this thread, and this is my response to that:

If you agreed to pay the shipping charge when you bought the item, I don't think negative feedback is fair to the seller. It may be courteous to refund some of the extra he charged, but what you both committed to doesn't require that. Next time negotiate first, buy second.

I'm also moving this to the Ebay forum.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

There's no way he could've charged $15 unless he listed Express Mail in the shipping, grossly misrepresented the weight of the item in the listing, or was an ass and charged an arm and a leg to ship to a foreign country, which a few other forum users have mentioned doing here.

If he misrepresented the weight (as in, listed the item as weighing 4-5 lbs when it wasn't), he shipped the item in a different method than advertised (as in a lower speed or cheaper service), then you might have grounds to file a complaint with eBay or PayPal over excessive shipping.

Yes, you agreed to pay the $15. But eBay does have rules regarding shipping costs, and $10 in extra fees is waaaaaaaaay over what they'd consider a valid handling charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I charge shipping AND handling but this is always posted up front. Sometimes I err on the side of being too shy with my handling charge and I lose on the item, my mistake. I actually shipped some books to Poland and ended losing on both the books and the shipping cost and I still got a 1 star rating on my shipping costs because it wasn't actual shipping. You live, you learn.

But if it's stated on the auction you agree to the shipping and handling charge. That's why I always search for auction with lowest price first with shipping and handling included. Lets say in this particular case, 5 bucks for actual shipping and lets say 5 more for packaging and driving down to the post office, being generous here. He gouged you by $5, if you feel that's enough money to go to war for, by all means. I'll put up a chair and watch the fireworks.