Thread: Atari Gravitar Advanced Play + tips

Insert Coin (Level 0) Detonator's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Atari Gravitar Advanced Play + tips

Hi there. I created a "walkthrough" video of the incredible, largely forgotten masterpiece, Atari Gravitar (1982). It's my all-time favorite arcade game and it has kept its appeal through the decades.

I hope these video(s) give you some good playing tips. It's a video capture of one full game played (everything completed, full loop, game "clocked"). I used AAE Vector emulator which is the best substitute for the real thing.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Detonator; 01-17-2018 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm not a Gravitar expert like you are, but I always liked this game. Looking forward to going through your videos and hopefully learning a few things.

What do you think of the 2600 port? I might not be skilled enough to realize flaws with it, but I thought it was a amazing job considering the underpowered nature of the hardware.

Wish every arcade port on the 2600 turned out as nicely as that one did.

Edit - "As you can see, there's plenty of time to escape the first reactor."

You escaped just as the counter was a frame or so away from switching away from 3 seconds to 2 seconds...

I'd hate to see what you think a difficult timed sequence would be if 2 seconds left is "plenty of time".
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-04-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I'm not a Gravitar expert like you are, but I always liked this game. Looking forward to going through your videos and hopefully learning a few things.

What do you think of the 2600 port? I might not be skilled enough to realize flaws with it, but I thought it was a amazing job considering the underpowered nature of the hardware.
    I agree. It was a brave effort. I had the original 2600 back in its day but never saw Gravitar. I've played it in the emulator though.

Edit - "As you can see, there's plenty of time to escape the first reactor."

You escaped just as the counter was a frame or so away from switching away from 3 seconds to 2 seconds...

I'd hate to see what you think a difficult timed sequence would be if 2 seconds left is "plenty of time".
    But I wasted a lot of time when shooting it. You can normally exit with 7 seconds left. The third reactor is possible as well, but it has gun turrets already when you enter it. After that it becomes too difficult... and impossible in later rounds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very nice! I'll have to watch these when I get a chance. Gravitar has also been one of my favorite games for a LONG time, and one of my favorites in my personal collection. I'd say I'm better than average, but certainly no expert, but I'm sure some tips will help.

DogP
    Virtual Boy Lives @ Project: VB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks all.

I edited the 1st post videos because I managed to complete the game fully. I also recorded one full loop.

It's now 100% perfect walkthrough (all universes & solar systems until the game "clocks" and starts over).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I gotta get one of these.