Thread: Sony PVM 2530 + Saturn questions/help needed

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony PVM 2530 + Saturn questions/help needed

i recently bought a sony pvm 2530 for my RGB gameing and i'm have a few problems/questions

for the sake of less hassel instead of haveing someone make me a seperate PVM cable for eatch system i had 2 PVM - female scart cables made so basicly i'm hooking things up with scart cables

question: my SNES and PSone look pretty good useing the monitor but my saturn looks like crap. is there any way to tell if a SCART cable is outputting composite and not RGB? or do you just kinda have to play it by eye? to be honest my first venture into RGB has been a little underwhelming and i'm a little let down with all of it. perhaps i'm not playing the right games or i'm just used to the brighter screen on my newer tv but alot of what i played (snes, psone, saturn) i acually think looked as good or better on my CRT HDTV through S-video, scanlineless pixelation and all.

second question, my PVM has a slight discoloration in the upper right corner. degusseing doesn't seem to get rid of it. its mostly a purpleish color blotch. is there a trick to getting rid of this? it doesn't make thigs unbearable but it is a little distracting and annoying.

last question: my snes and psone play perfect on the monitor and although i complained a bit in my first question, beisides that and the color blotch they do look pretty good but the saturn just looks like crap. also the picture rolls verticaly. i tried useing the vertical adjustment knob and it doesn't help. for instance the saturn logo screen rolls and the language select screen. it also does this with every game i try. for instance in Layer Section it rolls alot dureing the intro and title screen. once you start playing the game it stabalized a good deal but it will still roll every once and awhile but gets especially bad if there is a large on screen explosion or alot of on screen action. i tested the saturn on a diffrent TV through S-video and it worked fine. my other systems work fine on the monitor so i'm guessing its maybe the saturn scart cable thats crap?

thanks for any help, it is appricated.

pictures added just click on them to enlarge

notice how its off center

i don't know, i know its had to tell but does that look like RGB quality?
    Last edited by Soviet Conscript; 08-22-2007 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

For the purple splotch, make sure you don't have any stereo speakers or other monitors nearby that are interfering with the image.

As for the rolling image, sounds like your monitor is defective. A screen that "jumps" whenever there's a big white explosion indicates a sync problem...not an easy thing to fix

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post
    For the purple splotch, make sure you don't have any stereo speakers or other monitors nearby that are interfering with the image.

As for the rolling image, sounds like your monitor is defective. A screen that "jumps" whenever there's a big white explosion indicates a sync problem...not an easy thing to fix

thanks for the tip with the splotch i do have speakers near it and the corner that has the purple splotch is the corner closest to my other TV and wires. this is those things are turned off. i don't have the room to acually move anything so i may be stuck with the splotch for now then.

the thing about the jumping though is its only with the Saturn, the picture is also off center. but if i hookup a playstation and play a shooter i have no problems what so ever. its centered correctly and no jumping even with explosions. ni played through strikers 1945 just to test this out and played great. hooked the saturn up and put on layer section and it went nuts. i may just try buying anouther saturn RGB scart cable and hope that works.