Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone successfully casted molds for security bits?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Default Has anyone successfully casted molds for security bits?

I recently got a N64 from a flea market for $6 dollars with the power cord. The reset button was jammed down and I didn't realize it in till driving home.

Any way not wanting to spend the $8-$10 bucks for the pair of bits to use one time I started thinking. I remember people casting molds for screws on something gaming related or something else online I can't remember. I had few dozen old pens that were dried up and no good so I took the skinny ends and melted them down over top of the security bits.

It took me like twenty minutes to get a cast good enough to take out the first 2 screws then my cast got messed up. I made another cast which came out much better and got the remaining four security bits out in about five to ten minutes.

Somehow it did zero cosmetic damage to the N64. There was a small nic on the N64 when I got it and I made a tiny mark when I tried putting needle nose pliers into the security bit hole. The mark is very small that it's literally a joke.

I just got done doing a cast for the smaller security buts to clean the jumper pack which is the same size as the game carts. This time it took me about 30 minutes to get a cast good enough to take the two screws out.

Now I just replace them with Philips screws and I'm good to go. It takes a little extra time and effort but I think it was better then buying the bits to use one time and who knows when again.

Not to mention buying the bits didn't guarantee me I'd get the system to work.

If I had a tripod I would do a video. It's too hard to work one handed with a tablet recording.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i swear I got one of those bits off ebay for like 3 dollars shipped.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

At least now you'll be able to unscrew the blocker piece when you want to play Japanese games.
    Lum fan.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by bigbacon View Post
    i swear I got one of those bits off ebay for like 3 dollars shipped.

I have no paypal/ebay account.

On amazon it's like $10 shipped. Or $6 for the one bit with a qualifying $25 dollar order for FSSS.

Either way it cost me nothing but about one hour of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    I recently got a N64 from a flea market for $6 dollars with the power cord. The reset button was jammed down and I didn't realize it in till driving home.

Any way not wanting to spend the $8-$10 bucks for the pair of bits to use one time I started thinking. I remember people casting molds for screws on something gaming related or something else online I can't remember. I had few dozen old pens that were dried up and no good so I took the skinny ends and melted them down over top of the security bits.

It took me like twenty minutes to get a cast good enough to take out the first 2 screws then my cast got messed up. I made another cast which came out much better and got the remaining four security bits out in about five to ten minutes.

Somehow it did zero cosmetic damage to the N64. There was a small nic on the N64 when I got it and I made a tiny mark when I tried putting needle nose pliers into the security bit hole. The mark is very small that it's literally a joke.

I just got done doing a cast for the smaller security buts to clean the jumper pack which is the same size as the game carts. This time it took me about 30 minutes to get a cast good enough to take the two screws out.

Now I just replace them with Philips screws and I'm good to go. It takes a little extra time and effort but I think it was better then buying the bits to use one time and who knows when again.

Not to mention buying the bits didn't guarantee me I'd get the system to work.

If I had a tripod I would do a video. It's too hard to work one handed with a tablet recording.

Personally, my time is worth way more than that. They would have paid for themselves with that first use ($14 N64 is still a good enough deal). Not to mention that you can use them over and over again.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Personally, my time is worth way more than that. They would have paid for themselves with that first use ($14 N64 is still a good enough deal). Not to mention that you can use them over and over again.

It would have been nicer to get the cast done faster and not fidget with it so much but based on the fact how often I would have used the bits I think I broke even at the very least. I'm also not comparing the time I spent to what I can make an hour or salary lol. It took me 35-45 minutes while sitting on a chair on my porch listening to music.

If anything I'm in major surplus because between my knowledge on opening more systems lately I may just buy the bits to start messing with more broken systems and stuff like that. I do know a little soldering as well so I may look into bigger projects one day. I also see a market for broken systems and Frankenstein's.

For now I have nothing else that I need the bits for anyway. Next time we'll see.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've gotten screws out of SNES cartridges before with a pair of needle nose pliers. It took a long time and was quite frustrating.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

honestly, just pay the 10 bucks....it isn't a lot of money and it isn't like you can't keep and reuse it for an eternity.
    COMPLETED MY USA SMS SET!!!!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Well you guys convinced me get the bits. Turns out I do have a game with a dead battery and one more system that needs to be opened and fixed.

Can anyone link me to where you buy the CR2032 battery adapters for NES/SNES/64.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

STOP. Don't buy those cheap bits! You can get every game bit you would ever need for 18 bucks shipped! Steel and won't ever strip! I bought this kit after wasting money on individual bits and felt like an idiot on all the money i wasted. I have opened over 2000 games with these bits with no problems. http://www.newelectronx.com/proddeta...er-bit-set-103

Insert Coin (Level 0) plasticMan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

casting the right mold, is probably not worth it when you can find the real thing almost anywhere...
    The average sweatshop worker from a third world country makes peanuts, but they still honor the value of time - and wouldn't hesitate to buy the basic tool necessary to do the job right.
    not absolutely sure if they'd be able to afford it on their salary though. haha
    i'm not knocking you, but this bic pen trick has already been heavenly documented on the web.
    it's been around since the dawn of time.
    i just U-tube a crap load of 'em for fun to see if i was writing actual facts or blowing smoke up your arse..

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by plasticMan View Post
    casting the right mold, is probably not worth it when you can find the real thing almost anywhere...
    The average sweatshop worker from a third world country makes peanuts, but they still honor the value of time - and wouldn't hesitate to buy the basic tool necessary to do the job right.
    not absolutely sure if they'd be able to afford it on their salary though. haha
    i'm not knocking you, but this bic pen trick has already been heavenly documented on the web.
    it's been around since the dawn of time.
    i just U-tube a crap load of 'em for fun to see if i was writing actual facts or blowing smoke up your arse..
    Did you miss the part where I said I wasn't the first to come up with this and even stated I found out about it online? I'm guessing not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    Did you miss the part where I said I wasn't the first to come up with this and even stated I found out about it online? I'm guessing not.
    I suppose that if your highly sensitive and prone to scrutinize every little thing that is written in your post, I presume your are entitled to your mundane trivial aspirations to evaluate your time as such.

I reckon, your ignorance is in dire need of some enlightenment. I suspect this trick that I'm about to expose to you won't work in the future because they'll probably close this loop hole, but if your hard up for money or live outside the US like I do off and on, then this will work for you.

Personally I don't give a dam, if this doesn't work beyond today, so I don't mind wasting it on you - since your into wasting time, because I virtually have every tool that this company makes and once you have a set their like bullet proof, so I won't need to bother with buying another. So plainly speaking I won't need this hat trick anymore and suppose I do, I wouldn't mind buying the right screwdriver for a system that is deserved of it. Real collectors normally don't mind.

watch me pull a rabbit from my hat....
    1. here's what you do, search the web for the cheapest price you can find - mainly flea-bay (right)
    2. go to the website and click the price match button
    3. enter your lower price and wait for a response

The entire process takes about 60 seconds. Well dependent upon your hunt for the lowest price. Since you don't value time, it might take you longer - just for fun...

I haven't paid the actual value for any item using this hat trick and all of the shipping was free - even to canada mate. so next time you think about casting a mold, put this in your arsenal - it might just save you 30 minutes to an hour, but wait you don't mind wasting time.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

I suppose that if your highly sensitive and prone to scrutinize every little thing that is written in your post, I presume your are entitled to your mundane trivial aspirations to evaluate your time as such.

I reckon, your ignorance is in dire need of some enlightenment. I suspect this trick that I'm about to expose to you won't work in the future because they'll probably close this loop hole, but if your hard up for money or live outside the US like I do off and on, then this will work for you.

Personally I don't give a dam, if this doesn't work beyond today, so I don't mind wasting it on you - since your into wasting time, because I virtually have every tool that this company makes and once you have a set their like bullet proof, so I won't need to bother with buying another. So plainly speaking I won't need this hat trick anymore and suppose I do, I wouldn't mind buying the right screwdriver for a system that is deserved of it. Real collectors normally don't mind.

watch me pull a rabbit from my hat....
    1. here's what you do, search the web for the cheapest price you can find - mainly flea-bay (right)
    2. go to the website and click the price match button
    3. enter your lower price and wait for a response

The entire process takes about 60 seconds. Well dependent upon your hunt for the lowest price. Since you don't value time, it might take you longer - just for fun...

I haven't paid the actual value for any item using this hat trick and all of the shipping was free - even to canada mate. so next time you think about casting a mold, put this in your arsenal - it might just save you 30 minutes to an hour, but wait you don't mind wasting time.
    You sure wasted a lot of time with such a nonsense post. Kind of ironic that you talk about wasting time in it at the same time. Ignorance is bliss.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Mine came with some polish and cloths I bought from the Nintendo Repair Shop. In all it cost me $12. They were far too cheap to even make me think if casting my own. I've used them to open just about all my games to clean them, quite a few that wouldn't work but do now. They've more than paid for themselves.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I tried the melty pen technique to open up my N64 for dusting. Mainly due to the hassle of online ordering than the price of the bits (which wasn't much). Got maybe two screws open before the makeshift driver got wrecked and couldn't get a new one to work even as well as the first, so I just sucked it up and ordered a set of bits.

Still haven't gotten around to getting a triwing.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I tried the melty pen technique to open up my N64 for dusting. Mainly due to the hassle of online ordering than the price of the bits (which wasn't much). Got maybe two screws open before the makeshift driver got wrecked and couldn't get a new one to work even as well as the first, so I just sucked it up and ordered a set of bits.

Still haven't gotten around to getting a triwing.
    With me the first two screws took the longest. Mainly because I heavily stripped one of the security bits. That made me fidget with those two screws for almost 30 minutes.

After that I made one more cast and in a matter of 10-20 minutes I had the next four security bits out. I took breaks in between so that time is estimated give or take.

Upon further research I'm glad I didn't spend near five bucks per bit. Someone linked a steel set for $18 bucks that has like every tool needed to open every console.

I just realized unless you get the extra long security bits you can't open a virtual boy even though it's the right size bits, it needs to be long enough.

So now I am looking into a kit vs the indivual bits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loganm187 View Post
    STOP. Don't buy those cheap bits! You can get every game bit you would ever need for 18 bucks shipped! Steel and won't ever strip! I bought this kit after wasting money on individual bits and felt like an idiot on all the money i wasted. I have opened over 2000 games with these bits with no problems. http://www.newelectronx.com/proddeta...er-bit-set-103
    this is the only kit i found with the longer screwdriver in it to fit the virtual boy
    do the price match trick and compare your lowest price and save sh1t ton of tacos - done! no more wasting time

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this is the only kit i found with the longer screwdriver in it to fit the virtual boy
    do the price match trick and compare your lowest price and save sh1t ton of tacos - done! no more wasting time
    Price match trick? I don't think you can find such quality for under 18 bucks with free shipping. I looked around to see if i could price match it and all i could find were much worse sets that were more expensive so no price match there. The amount and quality of tools you get in that kit is mind boggling for that price. Pretty damn awesome. Have fun! I learned my lesson with individual tools.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    needler420

Quote Originally Posted by Loganm187 View Post
    Price match trick? I don't think you can find such quality for under 18 bucks with free shipping. I looked around to see if i could price match it and all i could find were much worse sets that were more expensive so no price match there. The amount and quality of tools you get in that kit is mind boggling for that price. Pretty damn awesome. Have fun! I learned my lesson with individual tools.
    I thank you a lot for providing the info to that tool kit. Other peoples post were having be about to waste money on something I can spend a little more and get way better bang for my buck. The even sadder part is I would have bought the bits and used them like one time over years to come.

With this kit I may actually get into refurbishing consoles.

I knew not to take what others say for face value. I would actually be a little upset at this point had I ordered the individual bits. The two bits would have came to about $9 bucks shipped when that whole kit is not much more.

Call me cheap or whatever but people don't get rich by spending foolishly.

WOW double checking that kit is $18 dollars with free shipping. I would say anyone who chooses the individual bits over the kit knowing about it is a dam fool.
    Last edited by needler420; 06-22-2013 at 04:55 PM.