Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Video Games That Are Better Than Their Sequels

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I'm hard on Chrono Trigger too, it's just not that great. Visuals, audio, sure total RPG SNES blowouts but the plot gets tiresome only second to the gameplay. I've never been able to tolerate it any further than the mountains with the floating rock/chain boss pretty much. I'm not saying it's bad at all, it's just overrated, the most overrated RPG on the system.
    I've gotten all the endings before on principle, but that was about it. Upon reviewing some of the content on Youtube, I can't recall what specifically put me off the game, but the OST just never clicked with me. I know it's not bad, I just don't care for it. Cross, on the other hand, has a few tracks that are rather nice, but nothing amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm put off by the pacing, having to work up to those triple strikes, and primarily the multiple endings because when I play a game I want to finish it, not have to re-do it a half dozen times to see some small and really not all that worth it variance against the time involved. I ended up just watching all the endings on youtube to confirm how much of a time waster it was.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Personally I love Chrono Trigger, ive never played Chrono Chross though.
    I think its one of the best 16-bit rpgs.
    As for the multiple endings, you can always use the 'new game plus', then I think you can go fight Lavos anytime throught hte warp at the Millenial fair. So you dont really have to play through it entirely each time if you just want to see the ending.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 10-27-2014 at 07:01 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Indeed pretty much every ending is determined by WHEN exactly you fight Lavos in New Game+, and its hardly a case of "they're all just minor variances." I don't recall Chrono entering a secret developers room in the game's default ending, for instance...

That said, I can see how Chrono Trigger isn't for everyone. Much like Earthbound. But if you guys have copies of either you'd be willing to throw away out of sheer disgust, I'll pay shipping

Okay, but getting back to the topic of the thread...

Ummm, actually I'm having trouble thinking of any. I remember thinking the first Aero the Acro-Bat was better than the second one but opinions seem mixed in that regard. Also the first Bubsy is easily better than the second one, even tho most would say they both suck (I'm not sure what all the hate of Bubsy is about. It's average at worst, nowhere near horrible).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Vectorman
    The sequel isn't bad, it just doesn't do it for me, for some reason.

Strider
    Genesis Strider 2... ick (though Strider 2 on the Playstation was pretty cool, paradox!)

Blaster Master
    Genesis strikes again!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Heres a few:
    Legendary Axe for the Turbo Grafx - I always thought the first was much better than the second. I really like the first game.

Bubble Bobble - So this game has two sequels? Rainbow Islands the story of Bubble Bobble 2 and Bubble Bobble 2. I would say Bubble Bobble is better than Bubble Bobble 2 but maybe not better than Rainbow Islands. I like Rainbow Islands, its alot of fun once you get used to the controls. Parasol Stars is the story of Bubble Bobble III and thats an excellent game, I think much better than bubble bobble. We also have Bubble Symphony, which Im not a huge fan of. For a game with 'Symphony' in the name the music isnt all that great.

Maniac Mansion - I have never played day of the tentacle, but I would be surprised if it was better than the first. Got the 1st one on Nintendo for Christmas as a kid and loved it. Such an awesome game, where else can you nuke up a hamster burrito??

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post
    Vectorman
    The sequel isn't bad, it just doesn't do it for me, for some reason.
    Uggg, why did you remind me of that?
    Vectorman is a pretty neat game, plays great, has an amazing OST and is reasonably challenging.
    Vectorman 2 has pretty much none of that. It's visually muddy, has an forced OST, has sticky controls and is prone to random difficulty spikes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    Heres a few:
    Legendary Axe for the Turbo Grafx - I always thought the first was much better than the second. I really like the first game.
    The irony is that Legendary Axe II was originally an unrelated stand-alone game in Japan, they only called it Legendary Axe II for the North American release.

And yeah Bubble Bobble gets nuts with the sequel numbering. Not quite as nuts as Wonder Boy and Adventure Island though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I actually have both Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, and while I'm not in love with either of them, I don't hate them either, and I don't dislike them enough to sell either. If all this predatory crap with games never went down in the last few years and games like those could still be had under their original retail prices I'd almost surely let them along with some others I have go on NES and SNES. The problem is that isn't reality and on rare occasion I like to turn them on and I won't pay $200-300 for these games ever as they're not worth it so I hold onto things just due to the money issue these days which is sad.

Another one I think on topic but entirely overlooked, it appears, but I have not played it out yet, that the sequel to the Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, which is the Great Circus Mystery on SNES is the superior title. They took what worked on the original, bumped the difficulty up a bit, refined the audio and visuals slightly nicer, some even more solid stage design, and they added in Minnie Mouse to play too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Both the Magical Quest games are fun (actually there's three but I can only speak of the ones I've played) but I don't really see much difference between them.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Jak and Daxter. Jak 1 was this really good platformer with bright, colorful graphics and was easy to pick up and play. Jak 2 was too dark, depressing, and confusing - just didn't feel like a Jak and Daxter game.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I guess I'll add to this as well.

Agreed with Jak and Daxter as well as Vandal Hearts, I'll add some others.

Nightmare Creatures was better than Nightmare Creatures 2
    Die Hard Trilogy was better than Die Hard Trilogy 2
    Blood Omen The Legend of Kain was better than Blood Omen 2(a good game though.)
    Bravely Default is better than Bravely Default 2 and Bravely Second
    Lords of Shadow is better than Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2(although I'd actually rate all three equally, the first game is overall the most well received, I think they're all good.)
    Phantasy Star Online is better than Phantasy Star Online Episode 3, Phantasy Star Universe, Phantasy Star Portable, and only because it's online only Phantasy Star Online 2.
    The Legend of Zelda is not just better than Zelda 2, it's better than the entire series except Link's Awakening.
    Ogre Battle The March of the Black Queen is the best in the Ogre Battle series
    Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together, the original SNES or PS1 version is better than the GBA sequel and PSP remast.. remake, whatever it is they f'd it up, stupid level locked equipment and grinding classes out the a@# because they all start at level one, stupid.
    Chocobo Racing. After watching that one video Tron 2.0 linked, this is well deserved.
    Final Fantasy Tactics is better than FF Tactics Advance and FFTA2.
    Grandia is better than Grandia 2, Xtreme, 3, and I'm assuming Parallel Trippers.
    Legend of Legaia is better than Legaia 2
    Suikoden is *gasp* better than the rest of the series. I know a lot of people like Suikoden 2 the best, Luca Blight is amazing, graphically it's better, harder game, and it is a great game, but the last third of the game has awful pacing.
    Mega Man X. Mega Man X and Mega Man X4 are the two best in the series, it's debatable which is better, but Mega Man X4 is certainly the easier of the two with the worst last boss, but great Zero is to play is the reason it could be considered the better game. It's a worse game, but playable Vile makes Maverick Hunter X debatably better than the original.
    Shadow Hearts is better than 2 and 3.
    Darksiders 1 is better than 2, lol 3, and from what I've heard that top down one.
    Demon's Souls is the best Souls, Bloodborne is better, it's not Souls.
    Dragon Age Origins is better than the rest.
    Mirror's Edge is better than... uhhh Mirror's Edge(PS4)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceHarrier View Post

Blaster Master
    Genesis strikes again!
    Good thing when blaster master got it's remake with blaster master zero parts two and three turned out fine.