Thread: GOTD 7/24/2016: Vampire Savior (Sega Saturn)

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Default GOTD 7/24/2016: Vampire Savior (Sega Saturn)

Vampire Savior (Aka Darkstalkers 3 on the PlayStation) is the third in the Darkstalkers series of fighting games by Capcom. The Darkstalker games play much like the Street Fighter games, but with more animated characters and moves. Vampire Savior has a similar animation style to the Street Fighter games as well, but with a 'monster/fantasy' type theme.

Vampire Savior is one of the most impressive games on the Sega Satun. This game requires the 4mb ram cart and makes good use of it. Vampire Savior is a fast combo based fighting game with highly detailed character animations. The move executions are tight and animations are very smooth. This game has an excellent selection of character, all of which are awesome. Everything about this game is awesome...there is not much more I can say, really. Vampire Savior has been re-released a number of times, but if you collect Saturn games you will probably want to own the Saturn version.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I have both 32-bit ports of this one, and prefer the Saturn, but I do think that the PS1 version is one of Capcom's best efforts on that system.

For some reason, I've always found this to be the easiest Vampire/Darkstalkers game. The very first time I played the arcade version ended as a 1cc run. The thing is, while I have them, I never played them extensively like I have Guilty Gear 1 and X, Street Fighters, or SNK fighters, but for some reason I've always been able to crush them with ease. Just curious if you or anyone else had a similar experience, or if it's just one if those things where the timing just suited me. I always played Morrigan, and the computer just always seems really bad at defending fireballs.

I love how colorful this series is, though! I remember seeing the Night Warriors running when I worked at FuncoLand for the first time, and it being the first time I truly recognized how well the Saturn ran fighters compared to anything else at the time, and it sparked a renewed interest in fighters for me that lasted for quite awhile. Great series!

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    For some reason, I've always found this to be the easiest Vampire/Darkstalkers game. The very first time I played the arcade version ended as a 1cc run. The thing is, while I have them, I never played them extensively like I have Guilty Gear 1 and X, Street Fighters, or SNK fighters, but for some reason I've always been able to crush them with ease. Just curious if you or anyone else had a similar experience, or if it's just one if those things where the timing just suited me. I always played Morrigan, and the computer just always seems really bad at defending fireballs.
    I wouldn't consider the Darkstalkers games to be particularly easy, I think they are just about as challenging as the Street Fighter games. If you turn the difficulty level up they can get pretty challenging. With arcade games its hard to tell what the difficulty level is set to.

I really like Vampire Savior, it was the first Saturn game I imported.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 07-25-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I remember a few magazines from the era that really talked great things about the saturn port. I was fortunate enough that in mexico we only had a black market and we had games not only from the US but from Japan and could buy a Saturn and Vampire Savior locally.

I spent quite a few hours in it but I never learned how to play it as it should, I always wanted to play it like Street Fighter. A few months ago I recovered the game by purchasing it on eBay and have been playing it for the last 2 weeks and it is fantastic, really smooth and fast.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

My favorite one in the series to.It's mechanics is some thing which makes it stand out from other fighters.I still wish,capcom would revisit darkstalkers but i doubt that will ever happen.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

This is easily my favorite Dark Stalkers game, and also one of my all time favorite fighting games. My old high school buddy/roomy had nightly, hours long play sessions with this Saturn import. We both had our favorite characters (with no overlap at all, curiously), but after so many rounds of random whoever vs. whoever matches things would ALWAYS end with 30+ consecutive Phobos (me) vs. Pyron (him) grudge matches. Sometimes we'd be at it until the sun came up.

Imaginative and diverse character roster, awesome control and combo system, great colors, awesome backgrounds, this game was pretty much perfect as a vs. fighter.