Thread: Doable? 20-32' active USB extension for PC controllers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default Doable? 20-32' active USB extension for PC controllers

I 'd like to play PC games on my LCD TV in the living room. My PC is next door in the bedroom and I can get a long HDMI cable. Thing is I want to use either my Xbox 360 wired controller or my flight stick to play games so a USB extension is the only option. I know I can get an "active" USB extension cable which I've read would theoretically work but I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar set up and how they get their PC game on with a big screen.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

It could theoretically work, but I'd be worried about signal degradation in a cable that long. Maybe relocate your PC closer to the tv?
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    It could theoretically work, but I'd be worried about signal degradation in a cable that long. Maybe relocate your PC closer to the tv?
    I thought of that but I really don't want to for a myriad of minor reasons.

I know if I get a wireless xbox 360 controller for Windows that would probably solve my problem but I don't really want to drop the $50 or so dollars on another controller when the corded works so well. I'd almost have to measure as it has to go along half my back bedroom wall (6 feet?), out the door and around the corner, behind the stereo (on a microwave cart I think I've had for about 22 years-still solid!), behind the TV stand, through the shelving and maybe enough so I can connect the 9' cord of the controller from my chair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have two long usb extensions from Monoprice. They are powered USB repeater things. Unfortunately, if I use the Xbox 360 controller with certain games and one of these extensions, I'll sometimes get problems. Usually one of the extenders will work fine, but once in awhile, there will be a game that will cause the controller to freak out and loose connection.

When I try to daisy chain the two extenders together, I typically encounter even more issues.

It's kinda game by game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    I know if I get a wireless xbox 360 controller for Windows that would probably solve my problem but I don't really want to drop the $50 or so dollars on another controller when the corded works so well. I'd almost have to measure as it has to go along half my back bedroom wall (6 feet?), out the door and around the corner, behind the stereo (on a microwave cart I think I've had for about 22 years-still solid!), behind the TV stand, through the shelving and maybe enough so I can connect the 9' cord of the controller from my chair.
    You can also use a PS3 controller in Windows with unofficial drivers. It works with a standard Bluetooth receiver.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Reticulating Splines BetaWolf47's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be more worried about input lag at that distance than anything else.
    Selling gaming accessories. Click

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you're going to do this, have the cable made to length don't try and chain them together. Everytime you would chain one usb to another that's one more potential place for the connection to fail. If you have the cable made to length it will (theoretically) give you a more stable connection. It'll also leave you with a 30 foot long usb cord to reel back in, I don't have a good idea for that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    If you're going to do this, have the cable made to length don't try and chain them together. Everytime you would chain one usb to another that's one more potential place for the connection to fail. If you have the cable made to length it will (theoretically) give you a more stable connection. It'll also leave you with a 30 foot long usb cord to reel back in, I don't have a good idea for that one.
    Supposedly, if they are powered usb repeaters, they should work daisy chained, but the controller will sometimes freak out.

Standard usb only works for like 20 feet, and then you pretty much have to use powered repeaters I think. Although, it's been awhile since I was looking into the same kind of solution.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    Supposedly, if they are powered usb repeaters, they should work daisy chained, but the controller will sometimes freak out.

Standard usb only works for like 20 feet, and then you pretty much have to use powered repeaters I think. Although, it's been awhile since I was looking into the same kind of solution.
    You know to be honest I'm not sure the maximum length you can make a USB cable, so that's a fair point. I know I personally used longer than 20 foot cables to attach accessories to a computer in an office we set up but I'm guessing there is a difference between a printer and a controller.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

From what I can find the maximum length for USB cable to still be usable is 5 meters, which is about 16 feet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Cabling