Thread: Does anyone else's PS3 "crack" and "snap" while in operation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default Does anyone else's PS3 "crack" and "snap" while in operation?

Facts:
    PS3 slim. Bought it a week or so after the slim launch (Fall 2009). Use it a few hours per month (i.e. hardly ever). No problems except...

Problem:
    The damn thing "cracks" and "snaps" when turned on. Maybe once every 5 minutes. It's not an electrical snap, it's sounds like plastic snapping into place as the console is running and getting warmer.

Possible relevant point:
    For the first 2 years of it's life, it was stored inside an enclosed entertainment cabinet (I know) and only used as a blu-ray player. It would get VERY hot inside there. My thought at the time was that it was only turned on for 2 hours (the approximate length of a movie) so the heat wasn't a big deal long term. Worse: it was accidentally turned on and running for hours (6-8?) a few times cooking inside that enclosed entertainment cabinet. The humming from the PS3 fan was so loud that it was audible from other areas of the house.

In short...I'm guessing PS3 slims don't usually snap and crack when turned on? Or do they?
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I don't own a PS3, but generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance...

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hwj_chim

Mine does not. As for what is causing it I don't know.
    SEGA!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Facts:
    PS3 slim. Bought it a week or so after the slim launch (Fall 2009). Use it a few hours per month (i.e. hardly ever). No problems except...

Problem:
    The damn thing "cracks" and "snaps" when turned on. Maybe once every 5 minutes. It's not an electrical snap, it's sounds like plastic snapping into place as the console is running and getting warmer.

Possible relevant point:
    For the first 2 years of it's life, it was stored inside an enclosed entertainment cabinet (I know) and only used as a blu-ray player. It would get VERY hot inside there. My thought at the time was that it was only turned on for 2 hours (the approximate length of a movie) so the heat wasn't a big deal long term. Worse: it was accidentally turned on and running for hours (6-8?) a few times cooking inside that enclosed entertainment cabinet. The humming from the PS3 fan was so loud that it was audible from other areas of the house.

In short...I'm guessing PS3 slims don't usually snap and crack when turned on? Or do they?
    Neither of my launch 60GB units (YLOD or replacement) have done that, BUT my old Panasonic 53 inch LCD last-gen projection TV that had a big reflector bulb and exhaust fans used to crack and snap like CRAZY.

I've heard my 50 inch Bravia do it a bit in the summer, but not as much as the old Panasonic, that thing was loud as a motherfucker with the snapping.

I think it's plastic heating up and contracting at a seam or joint. Never affected performance.

Also, I'm shocked your PS3 hasn't had thermal failure yet. Allowing launch units to kick into high exhaust temperatures seem to be a huge accelerator of that.

*edit* just re-read and see that it's a SLIM. Good to know that they can handle that. If it was a fat I'm pretty sure it would have konked out on you.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 07-18-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't keep your PS3 in an enclosed space for starters, always keep it some place where the fan can breathe.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I don't own a slim, but people who do I don't notice anything from theirs. The system itself quiet.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    I think it's plastic heating up and contracting at a seam or joint. Never affected performance.
    This is probably whats happening, its remote but you may have something caught on the fan blades.

I had a similar issue a year ago with an ATI 3850 and it ended up being a large beetle that had somehow gotten caught between the card's fan and housing.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    I had a similar issue a year ago with an ATI 3850 and it ended up being a large beetle that had somehow gotten caught between the card's fan and housing.

Pics or it didn't happen!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by duffmanth View Post
    Don't keep your PS3 in an enclosed space for starters, always keep it some place where the fan can breathe.
    Yeah, the PS3 slim in question was taken out of the enclosed cabinet about a year ago. It now has plenty of room to breathe (4 sides are completely open to the air).

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Yeah, the PS3 slim in question was taken out of the enclosed cabinet about a year ago. It now has plenty of room to breathe (4 sides are completely open to the air).
    Maybe it got full of dust as it's now in the open. Do you cover each system with a dust cover when not in use?

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by substantial_snake View Post
    This is probably whats happening, its remote but you may have something caught on the fan blades.

So funny as I was going to say,maybe it's got a bug or bugs being cooked in it..

Bugs:
    My buddy bought a used PS3 slim at a flea market cheap ,it didn't work..when he opened it up it had a pleasant surprise in it..
    He fixed it but will never forget what was in it..

another friend had some noise in his arcade machines fan..seems a mouse somehow decided that it wanted to get cooled off..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's probably the plastic casing making those sounds because it's heating up so much?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Mokida

It's the plastic case being heated up and contracting. It is common among PS3 slims but it has no effect on its performance, just a minor inconvenience.

I lived my life with no fear nor hatred... For these traits are certain to the content of my immortal being.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Facts:

Problem:

Possible relevant point:

My PS3 does that even with several feet of clearance on winter days, then again mine is the CECHA01 launch unit.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

My Sony TV's have made that sound over the years. Just plastic expanding and contracting.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Earth's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes my ps3 slim makes this noise. as everyone said, it's the heating and cooling, expanding and contracting of plastic parts. doesn't affect performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine does this to. I have the one that came with the move. 2 years ago. seems fine. My buddy was trippin. I was like oh it does that. Lol. At first I was afraid. Now. ehh. I've played it a ton. Seems fine. Just strange. Special when thay are so expensive.
    In yo face!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

Yes my slim does that. No worries.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Thanks to everyone who replied. I feel better knowing this happens to other PS3 slims. I was pretty sure the sound was plastic expanding/contracting as the PS3 got warmer...I just wasn't sure if it was a unique result of my accidental "cooking" episodes a few years ago. Either way, it sounds like there's no need to get a new one anytime soon. Cool.