Thread: GOTD 5/29/2016: Robo Aleste (Sega CD)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default GOTD 5/29/2016: Robo Aleste (Sega CD)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160529_001746.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	9307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_235925.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	9308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160528_235614.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	9309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160529_000350.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	9310Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160529_000524.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	9311Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160529_000803.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	9312Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160529_001006.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	9313Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160529_001427.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	9314

When people talk Sega CD, the discussion in my experience tends to stick to just a handful of topics... Working Designs games, FMV mistakes, Snatcher, and Keio Flying Squadron. However, the system had quite a few solid shooters localized outside of Keio, and while most aren't particularly cheap per se, they deserve a bit more recognition. Robo Aleste is one of those games that is often overshadowed by those marquee collector's pieces, not to mention its own cousin, MUSHA. Still, it's a high quality blaster worth a closer look.

As everyone knows from basic world history, warring ninja clans typically did battle in giant robots flying through the sky. In that respect, Robo Aleste is a remarkably faithful historical reinactment of one of these ancient conflicts. You control the mighty Aleste, shooting your way through vertically scrolling, ninja-laden stages in an effort to bring peace to the world by blowing everyone else to hell. Fortunately, the Aleste is a capable destroyer like other vaunted robots, such as Go Nagai's Getter Robo and La Cosa Notroid's Bitch Magnet.

The game plays out very much like MUSHA before it, as you collect falling capsules that gradually accumulate to raise the level of your main forward fire, which resembles grouped shuriken. You also have a secondary weapon represented by colored orbs. Collecting multiple of the same color will make your weapons more effective, and can level three times. I prefer the yellow orb, which turns your options into homing attack shields that can tear even strong foes to pieces in seconds while absorbing bullets they hit along the way, but there are others such as a laser that are useful as well. Dying costs you your power-ups, and even though they can be quickly rebuilt, it can be tough to rebuild the secondary weapon you like.

Graphically, the game is quite colorful, with huge bosses and occasional scaling effects. The backgrounds can get a little muddier and earthy at times, but overall it still has a slick arcade flavor, good music, and smooth control. I like games like this that allow you to manually change your speed for situational dodging or precision, as it lets the player decide how the Aleste feels. The Aleste itself is bigger than the MUSHA Aleste, though, which comes with a bigger hit box and increased challenge. Still what's here is pretty fair, and it's still easier than a lot of shooters.

Robo Aleste is a nice, polished little game that does what it sets out to do correctly, and its biggest weakness is the goofy-sounding narrator. Any MUSHA or shooter fan will find something to like here, and it should be a part of any arcade fan's Sega CD experience.

Played it?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-29-2016 at 01:41 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Man, I love this game! If I made a list of my favorite SEGA CD games -- which I never even considered doing -- I know that this would be in my top three, and I own Snatcher, Keio Flying Squadron, Popful Mail and the Lunar titles.

I'm a sucker for shooters, steam punk, Japanese history, and early CD rom games with cheesy narration and Anime cutscenes, so Robo Alesta fires on all cylinders. This is probably my most played SEGA CD game.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

2D STG from Compile for Mega CD. Summary/screenshots unnecessary, already saved to wish list.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Great game, and one I'm glad I bought years ago before the Sega CD price boom that has happened lately. I definitely need to put more time into this one, because I know I haven't given it enough love.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Oh, has this game shot up in price now, too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    Oh, has this game shot up in price now, too?
    Mostly the u.s version though the jpn version is now less in price.Few years ago i bought the mega-cd version of robo aleste and it only cost me $10.00+ total.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hmmm, let's see what this game is doing on eBay...

OMG! What the HECK!? This game is going to like 200 bucks!? Man, I'm SO out of the loop when it comes to what games are going for. I would have NEVER IMAGINED that this game was listing for at and above 200 dollars U.S..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

OMG! What the HECK!? This game is going to like 200 bucks!? Man, I'm SO out of the loop when it comes to what games are going for. I would have NEVER IMAGINED that this game was listing for at and above 200 dollars U.S..

The market is crazy, although less copies are circulating everyday; hopefully I can recover mine without spending 200 usd
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

Yeah, it's pretty sickening how the market boom has just bloated the price of some games. Check the price for Sega CD Lords of Thunder or Keio Flying Squadron too, if you want to lose your lunch.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Keio Flying Squadron holds the records as the most I've ever spent for a single game. I first learned about it from another forum's retro section in a Retro GOTD post, along with a TON of other classics I'd never known about before, which is one of the reasons that I love that Celerystalker has started his own GOTD series here.

I paid just under 100 bucks, IIRC. I think it came to $98 U.S.. I wasn't going to buy it but my wife said that she really wanted me to have it and that she would go in with me. It's a really great game, and I'm REALLY glad that I bought it when I did because the price is insane now. The same with SNATCHER, which I also learned about from that forum. I saw a copy for about $60 bucks (which is a LOT for me to spend on a single game) and bought it in a whim to support a new local gaming specialty store. I'm really glad I got that when I did as well.

I believe I own Lords of Thunder as well, but I'm almost positive I got that game on eBay a long time ago for maybe 20 bucks or so, if that. I think it may have been in a lot of games and came to a lot less averaged out. I didn't realize it went for a lot now.

I'm really going to have to appraise the games in my collection.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 04-10-2017 at 02:33 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I guess replacing that worn out CD-R of Android Assault isn't going to happen any time soon for me either.

I picked up Robo Aleste from EB games in Lexington, KY when it was current, I think around the $50 mark. I had been following it since it was first previewed as Cyber Aleste in those Game Cave/Gamefan ads with a single blurry screenshot as a "coming soon" import for Mega CD. Never had played MUSHA but for some reason this appealed to me even though the magazine coverage was minimal. Great game, great soundtrack; one of those unique Sega CD titles that might not push the hardware to its limits but is a great game that justifies keeping the black beast hooked up.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I have this and its a wonderful successor to MUSHA.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)