Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Different games with the same name (Genesis and SNES)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Different games with the same name (Genesis and SNES)

As the thread title states, I am trying to compile a list of games that were released on BOTH the Genesis and the Super NES that have identical titles but are different games.

This could be because the game had a different developer for the Genesis and Super NES versions, or maybe the developer had 2 different ideas and decided to give each system an exclusive take on the game. Here is what I have so far:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jurassic Park - The Genesis version was a side scrolling platformer developed by Sega and the SNES varsion was an overhead/FPS game developed by Ocean

Pirates of Dark Water - Both versions were developed by Sunsoft, but they are completely different games. The Genesis version is an action platformer while the SNES version is a Golden Axe style Beat em' up.

Aladdin - Just about everyone knows about this one, but they are both excellent platforming action games. The Genesis version was developed by Dave Perrys team before it was named Shiny, and the SNES version was developed by Capcom.

Batman Returns - Similar to Pirates of Dark Water, this sees the Sega developed Genesis version once again being the action platformer and the Konami SNES version being a Beat em' up.

Sunset Riders - Discussed a while back on these forums, Sunset riders are two completely different games. The Genesis version is an original game inspired by the arcade, while the Super NES version is an excellent port of the Arcade game.

Shadowrun - The Genesis version being developed by Bluesky Software and the SNES version by Beam Software turned out VERY different. With a different story and different missions, the Genesis version plays out in a traditional top down perspective while the SNES version takes an isometric approach.

Sparkster - Both versions were developed by Konami but they were very different games. The Snes version contained completely different graphics and levels than the Genesis version.

Beavis and Butthead - The Genesis version was developed by Radical Entertainment and played out much like a point and click adventure game while the Snes Realtime Associates developed version was a more traditional side scroller.

Adventures of Batman and Robin - The Genesis version was developed by Clockwork Tortoise (Who were these guys?) and was heavily inspired by Gunstar Heores. The Snes version, like Batman Returns, was developed by Konami. It was less like Final Fight this time around and more of a platformer.

Taz-Mania - The Genesis version developed by Sega, is a standard platformer. The SNES version developed by Visual Concepts, plays out like a racing game with Taz running against the clock.

Robocop vs Terminator - Both games are Run N' Gun Contra style but contain different graphics and levels. The Genesis version was developed by Virgin Games while the Snes treatment was given to us by Interplay.

Alien 3 - Probe developed both versions. While they play like Contra thrown into Metroid levels, the graphics and levels themselves are different between the two.

Scooby-Doo Mystery - The Genesis version was developed by Sunsoft and is a point and click adventure game. The Snes version was by Argonaut and more more of a platformer with some adventure bits like exploration and item management.

Animaniacs - Both versions were developed by Konami. The Genesis one is more of a platformer, while the SNES version is top-down beat-emup style.

Everything above here I either own, have played in the past or just recently played for the purpose of this thread. From this point on I have not played these games. I copied (and edited) some of what "A Black Falcon" had typed. I think he's pretty reliable when it comes to Genesis and Snes comparisons.

Bonkers - Completely different games. The Genesis one is a Kids Club game from Sega. The SNES one is one of Capcom's lesser-known Disney platformers on the system.

Street Racer - Both versions are developed by Vivid Image but are different games. The basics of the games are the same -- characters, etc -- but the game engines and play are completely different. On SNES it's Mode 7 and looks like Mario Kart. On Genesis, it's a more standard 'fake 3d behind the vehicle' racing game (because Genesis doesn't have Mode 7). Note that while the SNES one did get a US release, the Genesis one was Europe-only.

Spider-Man - This is a completely different game on both platforms. Sega on the Genesis, LJN on SNES.

TMNT: Tournament Fighters - Developed by Konami, these games are completely different on NES, SNES, and Genesis.

Hardball III - Genesis Hardball III is a straight port of the PC original. It's got battery save for your season in progress and you can also save a game in process, whenever you want. It also added voiced commentary from Al Michaels. Same as Hardball!, it doesn't have the MLB license, though (the PC version got it later as an addon, but this version did not). The SNES "Hardball III" came out in 1994, and is actually a port of Hardball '94, not Hardball III. However, there is one key difference between SNES Hardball III and Genesis Hardball '94 -- no save battery! On SNES, it's back to password only... and that's just for your season of course, forget about saving that game you're in the middle of. Don't bother!

There are other games that I am not sure if they should be included or not. The fighting game Brutal for instance is the same basic fighting game for both systems but a TON of the graphics were re-drawn for the SNES version. So they are visually VERY different games.
    Last edited by Wraith Storm; 08-23-2009 at 04:17 AM.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

IIRC, Shadowrun was a game that had distinct differences between the two consoles.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Ahhh! I can't believe I forgot that one!

Thanx. I'll add it to the list!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sparkster is another one.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Really?!

I never knew Sparkster was different between the two systems. That's awesome and thats one reason I am compiling this list!

Thanks and i'll add it to the main list later today... for now I must sleep...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Beavis and Butthead were completely different, the SNES version was a sidescroller while the Genesis version was kind of like an adventure game.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Yeah. Sparkster for the Genesis just sucks compared to RKA and SNES Sparkster.

Anyways.

Adventures of Batman and Robin.

Genesis one is a sortof side scrolling platformer/shoot em up, while the SNES one is a side scroller action/platformer. The SNES one is far superior.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Aladdin for the Genesis and SNES were both rather different games - I think most of the Disney games were.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skaar View Post
    Aladdin for the Genesis and SNES were both rather different games - I think most of the Disney games were.
    Lion King, at least, is very much the same for both.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Here are list of games to check out.

- Bonkers
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters
    - Spider-Man
    - Scooby-Doo Mystery
    - Hardball III
    - Street Racer

Here are same gameplay but slightly different in cast & stage

- Super Wrestlemania (both different cast of characters)
    - Royal Rumble (both different cast of characters)
    - Saturday Night Slam Master (No 2 player co-op in Genesis but added death match instead)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters
    Just check out the SNES version. The Genesis version was horrendous.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Just check out the SNES version. The Genesis version was horrendous.
    Agreed. I don't know who in the hell programmed the AI in the Genesis version, but even on easy it is set to "mutilate the human bastard." Not sure I ever got past the second fight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post

Genesis one is a sortof side scrolling platformer/shoot em up, while the SNES one is a side scroller action/platformer. The SNES one is far superior.
    Gotta disagree with you there.
    Last edited by c2000; 08-17-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Gameboy415's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gameb0y415
    PSN
    Gameboy415

TMNT 4: Turtles in Time on SNES and TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist were essentially the same game, but featured a few different bosses and stages, IIRC.

Also, each console had a unique Jurassic Park sequel:
    Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues for SNES - a surprisingly good Contra clone
    Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition for Genesis - just like the original SEGA game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    Beavis and Butthead were completely different, the SNES version was a sidescroller while the Genesis version was kind of like an adventure game.
    Another one I can't believe that I forgot. I will add it to the list! Thanks.

Cool! I love the Genesis version. It's like a screen by screen Gunstar Heroes. I never realized that they made an Adventures of Batman and Robin for the Snes. I'll add it to the main list. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy415 View Post
    TMNT 4: Turtles in Time on SNES and TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist were essentially the same game, but featured a few different bosses and stages, IIRC.

Also, each console had a unique Jurassic Park sequel:
    Jurassic Park 2: The Chaos Continues for SNES - a surprisingly good Contra clone
    Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition for Genesis - just like the original SEGA game
    All three of these games are good suggestions but they have a different name on both systems. Thus, suggesting that they are different games. I am trying to compile a list of games that have the same name but are different games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScourDX View Post
    Here are list of games to check out.

- Bonkers
    - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters
    - Spider-Man
    - Scooby-Doo Mystery
    - Hardball III
    - Street Racer

Here are same gameplay but slightly different in cast & stage

- Super Wrestlemania (both different cast of characters)
    - Royal Rumble (both different cast of characters)
    - Saturday Night Slam Master (No 2 player co-op in Genesis but added death match instead)
    Wow thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into these.

Keep em' coming DP!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That said, the SNES one doesn't have a soundtrack by Jesper Kyd (which isn't really enjoyable listening on the Genesis, but it's still very interesting).

Quote Originally Posted by aclbandit View Post
    Lion King, at least, is very much the same for both.
    Lion King's cheat codes are even similar (if not the same) across the Nintendo systems - with a level skip for various iterations, as mentioned in a '97 issue of NP.

There's also some minor differences between Sunset Riders on SNES and Genesis that add up to be rather major in my view - still the same game though. EDIT: Whoops, didn't see this one listed. Well, I'd go with what's in the OP over my memories.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 08-17-2009 at 03:36 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Taz-Mania

The Genesis title is a sidescroller, the SNES title is a vertical scrolling game in 2.5D with Taz just spindriving forward.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Robocop vs Terminator is another one. I've only played the first 3 or 4 levels of both games, but from what I've seen they are fairly different. Both are the same style of sidescrolling platform/shooter game but the level design, weapons, graphics, music and some of the enemies are different. Also, the SNES version has comic book style cut scenes while the Genesis one doesn't.
    Last edited by sancoa; 08-17-2009 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been meaning to do a closer comparison, but I believe the are subtle differences in the two Lion King games. Level designs are similar, but there are variations (for instance the ostrich ride in "Can't Wait to be King" and the length of the Stampede in that level.

If I have time I'll do the do diligence and report back, if you are looking for differences to that degree of subtlety.
    SO not the Drama.