Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Guess That Game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Ugh, that was one I looked into but not hard enough I guess. All the clues pointed to a penguin game, but the whole sled thing threw me off. I tried looking for games with the southern lights to cross reference but Google failed me. Though I did find some interesting articles about penguins playing video games.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    The blob things are Sno-Bees, which is a real-life brand of sled.
    Ah, I didn't know that! I never had a snow sled. Great game, and I just learned that it also came to the Mega Drive in Japan, so I might have to snatch that. I sold it when I got rid of my Game Gear, so it'll be nice to get it again.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Is #36 one of the Mana/Seiken Densetsu games? Because "your power source is your mom" would fit in with how effed up that series usually is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Is #36 one of the Mana/Seiken Densetsu games? Because "your power source is your mom" would fit in with how effed up that series usually is.
    No, but there is a Mana/World Tree, and even elemental spirits that are very similar (some are outright copies) to Mana Spirits.
    Last edited by WulfeLuer; 07-09-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WulfeLuer View Post
    No, but there is a Mana/World Tree, and even elemental spirits that are very similar (some are outright copies) to Mana Spirits.
    Okay, now I'm thinking its.... that one game Yahtzee reviewed, where he started by giving a norse myth lesson about Baldur, who he described as a wuss who called his mom in for everything. Also Norse Myth has the concept of the Yggdrasil or "world tree."

I think the game was called either Too Human or Darksiders.

EDIT: So it seems like #36, #38, and #BR5 have yet to be solved. DOUBLE EDIT: For the sake of convenience I've quoted the unsolved ones here:

#36. So, I wrecked a slave camp, got my village burned down, punched by a dwarf, and ditched by my best friends. Now it's off the desert!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    #38. Two sets of Fallopian tubes and ovaries do battle for about as long as it takes the Beatles to play "Please Please Me". Or you could put on that Simon & Garfunkel song -- it'd be very apropos -- and get 2 1/2 games in before it's done.
    #BR5 - So by "transform into a fish, lion, or eagle" you actually mean put on vaguely fish/lion/eagle-themed spandex suits that give you the relevant powers.

(I can't remember if the transforms were ACTUALLY labeled "fish, lion, and eagle" BTW so forgive me if my memory is off, but it was always something that struck me as weird about this game)
    Since #BR5 is mine I'll give a hint: It's, like, a bodacious NES game whose Japanese version was a little less gnarly. (This probably gives it away right there)
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 07-10-2017 at 06:52 AM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Since #BR5 is mine I'll give a hint: It's, like, a bodacious NES game whose Japanese version was a little less gnarly. (This probably gives it away right there)
    Totally Rad, dude.

As for mine, I'll throw in the hint that it's an Atari 2600 game.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Okay, now I'm thinking its.... that one game Yahtzee reviewed, where he started by giving a norse myth lesson about Baldur, who he described as a wuss who called his mom in for everything. Also Norse Myth has the concept of the Yggdrasil or "world tree."

I think the game was called either Too Human or Darksiders.

EDIT: So it seems like #36, #38, and #BR5 have yet to be solved. DOUBLE EDIT: For the sake of convenience I've quoted the unsolved ones here:

Totally Rad hint. Oh, didn't see goldenband already did it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It sounds like you're trying to talk about Too Human, but I don't watch enough Zero P to know for sure. Either way, it's not #36. There are hints of Norse influence here and there in #36, including Yggdrasil. I will also go ahead and say that #36 is actually a fair bit newer than most games on this thread, and is a distant prequel.
    RPGs: Proof that one you start done the dork path, forever will it dominate your wallet's destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Also, I think #38 is Boxing.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Sounds like 36 is Xenogears.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Also, I think #38 is Boxing.
    Yes! Nicely done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yep, BR5 is Totally Rad. Three of your spells are supposed to transform you into animals but the form you take is actually humanoid so it comes off more like you did a Henshin into an animal-themed superhero costume (fans of Tokusatsu shows like Kamen Rider or Super Sentai will know what I mean).

It's also a game I see get dissed a lot even though I thought it was actually kinda awesome.

Also I share the opinion that #36 is Xenogears. Probably should've thought of it earlier just my mind kept thinking of 8- or 16-Bit era games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Unfortunately, Celery and Edmond, #36 is not Xenogears. #36 is an entry in a fairly prominent RPG series, one that started in 16-bit era and is still ongoing.

Guessing #38 was mostly plain dumb luck; I kept thinking things like Rumble Roses or DoA, stuff like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

It looks like there's still some to be guessed but I'll go ahead and give my clues before I forget.

#40 - If you're traveling to the USA, you can't just visit New York City. You should visit places all over the country. And what's that button up there for? Time to swing into action! What? Game Over? Talk about a buzz kill!

#41 - Aaaannnnddd, we've drifted out to sea again! I thought you were supposed to be brilliant, but putting me in charge was about the stupidest thing you could have done.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Time for another hint. #36 has a very...musical title.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unfortunately, Celery and Edmond, #36 is not Xenogears. #36 is an entry in a fairly prominent RPG series, one that started in 16-bit era and is still ongoing.

Time for another hint. #36 has a very...musical title.
    Is it Tales of Symphonia? I've never played the game, so I have no idea if it fits the original description, but it seems possible based on these clues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

And Scissor wins a cookie for #36; it is indeed Tales of Symphonia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Almost a week without any guesses. Perhaps I should give some hints?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Probably. Admittedly my memory has been failing me lately but neither of the two descriptions are ringing a bell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Ok, for 40 and 41; one is an arcade game and the other is of the computer variety.